1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

any problems?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by linkfeeney, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Mar 31, 2007 at 8:04 AM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    Anyone having problems with their 07 tacoma?
    I saw other forums have access door problem? Axle Wrapping?
    Noises?

any problems from any???

2. Mar 31, 2007 at 9:42 AM
    CasaTaco

CasaTaco Active Member

Member:
    Only complaint I have so far (3,300 miles) is the wind noise on my 07 Access Cab. Everything is else doing fine.

CasaTaco

3. Apr 1, 2007 at 6:54 AM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    not that i heard of but welcome to TW :)

4. Apr 1, 2007 at 8:51 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I am not so happy with the MPG, but that is typical of my high expectations. I have the access cab, with no issues interior or outside. I am at 9000 miles, and I have had it since Jan. 1st, 2007. I have been using mine to move to San Antonio from Houston, but I have a ton more moving to do. Between that, three dogs, a busy wife, and a long commute - my 007 does the best.

5. Apr 1, 2007 at 3:10 PM
    Scott_of_FtWorth

Scott_of_FtWorth Member

Member:
    I am experiencing a vibration between 18 mph and 28 mph . I was very excited to buy my 3rd tacoma and didnt notice it on the test drive. But going to work in traffic noticed a annoying vibration coming from the drive train that kind of felt like going over a tight rumble strip, it is most pronounced at 20MPH , all rpms . I picked up the unit with 85 miles and now have 200 on it. I dropped it off at the dealer 2 days after the date of purchase to have a hitch put on and fix the vibration. I picked it up drove around the block and dropped it back off , vibration was still there . Man I hope its just bad tires , flat spots , and not a drive train issue as described in other threads . The sales guy said he would redeliver it to me ?? I am wondering if I should take it now ? I wish I read this thread before test driving.
    The 5 speed auto tranie feels funny also , it down shifts when decelerating and feels like if you were shifting a standard down to slow up.
    Man ! I did not exspect this, my first 2 tacomas , 87 & 2000, were trouble free
    I'll keep you updated on my resolution , just started with the dealer

Search threads for "Vibrations" for simular problems
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/150-vibration-20mph-06-tacoma-4door-trd.html or http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/960-issues-my-brand-new-07-taco.html

6. Apr 4, 2007 at 8:14 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    @Scott of FtWorth - when i first got my truck, i noticed a slight vibration in first gear, but only if you accelerated farily slowly (parking lot style driving) but it now has about 2000 miles on it and i don't notice it anymore. If i were you i would just wait it out. It's very likely that you just need to break it in. I was about to take it back to the dealer but decieded to wait since i have 36,000 miles while it is still under warranty. My advice is to email, or mail the dealer a letter letting him know that there is a problem, that way there is an actual paper trail. Let the dealer know that you are going to wait it out but at 5000 miles you still have a problem you expect something to be done. Be polite but forceful. These trucks are too expensive to not work exeactly how they are suppose to. And Toyota has an excellent reputation for customer service. If you have a problem i'm sure they'll take care of you. As far as the downshifting, when braking, i've noticed that too. It too seems to be less noticable after putting some milage on it. But either way, the five speed as i understand it is suppose to inteligently mimick a manual, and it is very likely the downshifting is part of that, but i'm not sure. Anyway, be patient and give you truck some time to get "comfortable". If you do that and still have problems, give the dealership hell! and take the issue to corporate if the dealer is no help.

7. Apr 4, 2007 at 1:52 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    I have a 06 acc cab, v6 , 6sp, no problems but just a hint of brake squeal, talked to a girl down the street she has a early 06 , 4door, auto and has 40K on it and not a problem.

8. Apr 4, 2007 at 6:06 PM
    Scott_of_FtWorth

Scott_of_FtWorth Member

Member:
    Yea I was thinking of waiting and hoping that it just needed break in . BUT ,,,,, Thank God ! or the importance of that customer survey every one at my dealership talked of or thier genuine sinsarity to satisfiy. They came to the plate and gave me satisfaction !!! No yelling or screaming. They looked the truck over and verified my complaint . The Sales Manager and Salesman asked what options may they put on the truck to satisfy me . I said, none , and that what I wanted was one of three thinks, 1) My Tacoma fixed , 2) Another Tacoma outfitted equally or better or 3) My money back . They agreed to Find me or order another truck without the defect .

9. Apr 4, 2007 at 6:42 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Wow, sounds good dude. hopefully you won't have the same problem. But from what i'm reading on the other threads this is a persistant problem. One that can be fixed by the dealer but most of the trucks seem to have it. Good luck with your new truck

10. Apr 9, 2007 at 8:51 PM
    Scott_of_FtWorth

Scott_of_FtWorth Member

Member:
    Well the promises of them finding me another truck fell short. The extensive search to find a Vibration free truck outfitted as the one I purchased was limited to their own inventory, a count of 3. The vibration was worse in them.
    The service center acknowledged that there was a vibration but without a service bulletin or guidance from the mother ship they were afraid to even swap tires from another vehicle . They did rotate and balance them , I think ?? It seemed as if the repair manual didn’t address it they were lost . Technician’s ??? I think not . Or their hands were tied. I’m glad I’m able to do my own maintenance , breaks , oil and such .
    I just cant imagine Toyota engineers in their proto-type measuring noise and vibrations and dismissing this one at 20 mph. It has to be a assembly problem or a part out of specification.
    The Sales guy said that the receptionists Father puts 3 50lb bags of sand in his bed and that leassons the vibration ??? I dont know whhat he was tring to tell me with that info ????
    The good thing was that their loaner, 07 TRD Tacoma Double Cab was vibration free with 1700 miles on it. I fell in love. I tried to buy it but it belongs to Toyota Retails and it didn’t have enough miles to be sold yet, So they said.
    Well after 7 trips to the dealer, a count of 2 days in my possession and 10 in theirs they decided to return my trade in, a 2000 Tacoma pre-runner and my cash .
    I guess Toyota has picked up some bad habits from the American Auto Manufactures

Scott_of_FtWorth

11. Apr 10, 2007 at 6:08 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Bummer, this seems to be a pretty common problem, i'm surprised that a service bulletin hasn't been released yet

12. Apr 10, 2007 at 7:25 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    I've got 2500 on mine with no problems. This is simply the best truck I've ever owned.

13. Apr 10, 2007 at 1:37 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    I have a couple of neighbors with Taco's ( or Yoda's ) as they call them. Both are 04's with V6, manual, 4x4 and both have cold air packages and trd superchargers. These are multi use trucks which are used for daily drivers and some hunting activities and the owners don't have qualms about putting loads on there trucks. Both watch maint very carefully and are extra careful and don't have any problems, with the exception of a recall for ball joints and A/C compressor problems. Both have over 60K on them.
    The other neighbor has a 06, 4door, V6, auto with a color coded cap. She has 40K on it and never has had one problem.

Our area in Mass., has lots of Toyotas trucks of all descriptions. They are
    very popular.

Jeff
    06,V6,4x4 6spd

14. Jun 29, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    Bonifide

Bonifide New Member

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner V6, 2WD
    My 07 PreRunner s developed a weird vibration. Kinda feels like it steering related, when turning tight in a parking lot. Also does it going straight 0-10 mph or faster to ~20. It feels like theres a walnut in the tire. but moreso feels like its coming from the hubs. Anyway, I'm doing a crappy job of describing it but here's the kicker the vibration only started 3k miles ago so the condition is new. I bought the truck at 24k and now it has 64k. It has always been super smooth. I did put new Michelins on it 9k ago with no issues. I did have them rotated and rebalanced a week ago with no luck. The only other thing I'm thinking of trying is changing the tranny fluid, thinking maybe it is low and that's why this is only a low speed condition. Sorry about the novel. I called the dealer who didn't seem helpful beyond wanting to service the truck with an oil change..

15. Jun 29, 2013 at 5:59 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Holy 6 year old thread resurrection!

16. Jun 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Isn't that 42 in dog years ??

17. Jun 29, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    Bonifide

Bonifide New Member

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner V6, 2WD
    I'veeen reading on topic and came across this exscellent read. I'm gonna check it to this solution.

"I may have thecorrect answer to yours and a couple other correspondents on the drivelineshutter at or around the 1-2 shift. It is without a doubt the splined slip-yokelocated directly behind the driveshaft carrier bearing. These components arelocated halfway down the two part drive line. The spline is hanging up orbinding.
    This splined component's job is to allow the driveline to shorten or lengthenas required by the wheelbase as the vehicle takes off or is stopping. All rearwheel drive vehicles have a splined slip joint either at their transmission orsomewhere down the drive line after a carrier bearing. If this powertransmitting spline does not move freely it will hang up. Usually, it with befelt on take away immediately from a stop sign or at the 1-2 shiftpoint.
    As on the Tacoma, these external splined slip-joints joints are sealed by a lipseal or as in the newer Tacoma, with a rubber boot. Older Tacomas had a greasefitting on this spline shaft to keep it moving freely. The new Tacomas appearto be sealed for life.
    After a few discussions with my local dealer it was time to take someaffirmative action. I informed them that this problem was gradually gettingworse and I strongly suspected the drive line slip-joint. I told them thatunless they replaced the whole complete driveline, I would not be happy. Ireminded them that this was a much cheaper solution than replacing the transmission,transfer case, and or the whole truck! They agreed. I inspected this slip jointbefore its removal and found that there was excessive clearance on the splinefit. I could move both male and female components 1/16" independently.This is not a good machining practice on driveline components. The resilientrubber mounting did not seem to be firm enough either. The two driveshafts,universals, carrier bearing, and splined slip-yoke are all one assembly and arereplaced as a balance unit with a flange mount on either end!
    Two days ago the whole driveline was replaced. I'm happy to report that theshifting and whole operation of the driveline/transmission are as smooth assilk! The spline fit has no excessive clearance and the rubber in the carrierbearing mount is stiffer (This keeps driveline vibration inline at take awayunder high torque load situations.).
    I hope this information helps to solve your problem.
    Good Luck."

May be worth checking out.

18. Jun 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Godbless the newbs !!!!!....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Not sure if this guy has a truck anymore....:D

19. Jun 29, 2013 at 7:33 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    But that is an excellent read you've compiled......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top