1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hi All

Discussion in 'New Members' started by IcecreamLtDan, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Apr 17, 2007 at 7:44 PM
    IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello folks, ran across this place while doing some research on a, hopefully, soon to be purchased Tacoma. I'm in the market, so to speak, and this is the make of truck I've decided on so, if you don't mind, I'll look around a while and I may have some questions in the future.

2. Apr 17, 2007 at 9:21 PM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    You made a good choice. Welcome to the group!

3. Apr 17, 2007 at 9:39 PM
    sandie

sandie Well-Known Member

Member:
    long beach, ca
    Vehicle:
    06 x-runner baby!
    Lt Dan!!!!! welcome to the shrimp boat! :D

4. Apr 18, 2007 at 3:35 AM
    sak3358

sak3358 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome. I did the same thing....lurking in the shadows, asking questions, doing research and comparisons. Pestered dealers, saved my pennies, talked to owners and read as much information as possible. I had original intentions to purchase a sport trac (they have a cooler feature in the bed of the truck....beer to go) but after riding, and doing the reliability checks, resale, and Consumer Reports ratings....the best buy was the Toyota. (if you read MSN reviews, there is one guy who makes multiple posts in a neg. sense, disregard them). So....ask away and welcome!

5. Apr 18, 2007 at 3:38 AM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    dude sak be glad you didnt get a sport track the taco > it thought they do come with a V8 it still says ford on it they have a smaller bed and it sits on an Explorer chassis no a truck chassis. Personaly i prefer the acctual power outlet on the taco over the power point in the sport track no coverters needed just plug and play =)

6. Apr 18, 2007 at 3:49 AM
    sak3358

Member:
    No, I made the right choice.....but that cooler in the bed is a neat feature. I've read too much about problems with the Sport Trac to take the risk. I've reach a point in life (which is way cool) that I could have bought anything I wanted....and I picked the TRD Sport. I actually went to Nissan, Ford, Toyota, Dodge, Chevy and test drove their trucks. All of them have features that are appealing. What pushed me was the proven reliability of the Toyota. Had a HiLux back in the 80's. Drove it hard and long. Traded it with 160K. It was still going strong. Never had a problem with it. I had to get a larger vehicle....ergo the trade. It was this experiance that has brought me back, as well as the overall ratings.

7. Apr 18, 2007 at 12:32 PM
    IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yea, I've looked at a couple of different models of trucks in recent weeks. Currently I drive a '92 Isuzu Rodeo that's just about had it. I also took a new job which requires me to drive right smack dab into the middle of downtown Charlotte, N.C. and the 5-speed is a killer in that stop and go traffic. We've all but paid off my wife's car so it's time for me to find something new.

The Tacoma seems to be the best all around decision at the moment. I'm looking at somewhere around a 2002 or newer model, 4-wheel drive, V6 automatic, extra cab. Test drove one yesterday that I don't think I'll be getting due to some issues it has, but I really liked the way it drove and felt, plus my wife could drive it and, as she can't drive a 5-speed, that was a big plus as she may need to drive it every now and again.

This does bring up a question, and if needbe I'll ask it in the more appropriate place. The one we test drove had the TRD option package. I know that, among other things, this included 16 in. wheels & tires, and a "off-road tuned" suspension. Is there a big difference in the ride quality between a TRD optioned truck and one that is not? I searched around here and couldn't find a discussion about that. Not that the TRD rode bad, but if there is a big difference, I'd like to test drive both versions and see which I would prefer.

I don't do any real 4-wheeling or anything, no lift kits or some such, it's more due to needing a 4-wheel drive for the occasional camping trip and such. We attend a couple of Nascar races every year and the camp grounds and parking areas can be in less than ideal conditions where a 4-wheel drive is a big plus and in the case of Bristol Tenn., almost a neccessity. The TRD package is certainly not a needed option, but if there is no real big difference in ride quality between the two I won't have a problem getting one that has it.

8. Apr 18, 2007 at 12:42 PM
    sak3358

Member:
    Good question. I moved from a VW Passat to the TRD Sport. BIG difference in ride......but my attitude is.....I'm buying a truck, not a sports car. I've heard where the ride on a new vehicle smooths out with time and wear on the springs. I'm not expecting much. I've read (heard the Off Road is a little "stiff", more so than the Sport. I can't really say. I went without the 4X4 option, as I really don't need it. I've owned several 4x4's over the years and could count on 2 hands the times I've used the 4x4. (lived in Chicago/Northeast) and always managed to get by with the 4x2. I'm saving quite a bit on my insurance for having the 4x2 option. The Sport comes with a Limited Slip Diff. which can compensate (some). BTW, I put running boards on the Sport for the wife. She can crawl up and in. She wanted to drive it, and I convinced her the seat doesn't move up and she couldn't see past the scoop. So far....it's safe in my hands.

9. Apr 18, 2007 at 1:00 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Oh man! I should have used that one! Good thing my wife doesn't like driving a 5-speed in Houston traffic. :D

10. Apr 18, 2007 at 1:06 PM
    sak3358

Member:
    I read where you can purchase some washers, and hardened bolts to replace the exisiting bolts to raise the seat. Thank goodness she doesn't read any of these forums :devil:

11. Apr 18, 2007 at 1:10 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Do you have any more info on this? I would really like to do that on both my seats. It would be a hell-of-a-lot more comfortable on my legs if the seat was a bit higher, and I could fit a subwoofer under the seat!!! :D

12. Apr 18, 2007 at 1:58 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    welcome lt. dan :)

13. Apr 18, 2007 at 6:02 PM
    sak3358

Member: