1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New,soon to be Utah'r

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Scottyrocco16vdub, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Jan 9, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    Scottyrocco16vdub

Scottyrocco16vdub [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Latham, NY
    I am moving out to Salt Lake city at the end of february. Coming from Northern NY. Im leaving my 2000 Jetta TDI with 293k on her with a blown VNT actuator(she is sloooow now) and a million more 293k type issues, at my parents house and pursuing my dream of having a toyota pick up.

Out east the poor yotas really dont last long. Usually rusting out before 200k if you have an older one. I have narrowed my search down to a series 1 or 2 tacoma extended cab 4x4 5spd. That is why I joined this site because of the wealth of information about the trucks.

I am not new to toyotas. the only car my dad ever bought new was an 87 22re reg cab 4x4 the year i was born. I pretty much grew up in this truck, learned to drive standard in it at age 10(we had a mile long private dirt road and about 250 acres of woods). My most favorite memory was my dad sneaking me out of the house with out my little brother knowing to go see Jurassic Park at the drive in. We used to knee board and sled behind it in the winter up and down our road for hours. Of course during this whole time the bed was rotting. I took my road test in it when I was 16, the instructors gut was big enough it was resting on the dash board and he passed me with out even doing a parallel park! eventually the bed just about rusted off and my dad replaced it with a step side bed my grandpa had made for a trailer. Added about 300lbs to the truck and needed helper springs but it was cool! short time after that she started running only on 3 cyls. We sold it to some kids from my high school as a logging truck and in 2 days they had blown her totally up..

The next yota my dad got was an 82 FJ60 from FL, it was brown and we named it the fudgesickle. He drove it home to ny with the original motor and immediately proceeded to find a canadian 3B motor to swap in . He spent a few months doing the swap and had a really great increase in fuel mileage http://www.cardomain.com/ride/479659/1982-toyota-land-cruiser . From I think around 10 up to around 19 with 8lbs of boost. This started our families diesel addiction, Since then we got an 85 bmw 525TD, 2 jetta TDIs, 85 golf diesel, and my dads pride and joy a vw1.6TD powered 1965 Porsche 356SC. I used to drive the FJ to school when my 87 Scirocco wouldnt start. My brother used this truck as his main transpo to high school for 3 years. This too suffered from the terrible north east salty roads and eventually got to the point of no return. We sold it to a guy with a really sweet lifted expedition type fj60 with a louvered hood, he was going to swap the motor into his truck. I dont think we ever heard back from him. Here are some pics for fun of us messing around with it in the snow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hahaha if he only knew! Im sure he did..

But anyways that is my story and I hope to add a Taco to my stable at some point in the next month or two! And I appreciate all the info I already have recieved from this site.

2. Jan 9, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    tacoteacher

tacoteacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 access cab 4wd
    Stock for now
    Welcome from SoCal!

3. Jan 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    hellrazor004

hellrazor004 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Nice opening post. Welcome.

4. Jan 9, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
    Welcome to TW!

5. Jan 9, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    Scottyrocco16vdub

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Latham, NY
    Thanks guys

6. Jan 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    [​IMG]Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV[​IMG]

7. Jan 9, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    Scottyrocco16vdub

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Latham, NY
    I might be seeing some NV!

8. Jan 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    Inkjet Fred

Inkjet Fred Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2011 4wd white
    access cover,sport hood, Grillcraft color match grill, devil horns (red),hella 500's behind grille\
    Welcome!:D

9. Jan 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Welcome from the Wasatch Front in Utah. You'll have a great time here. If you have work in downtown you'll be able to leave and be fishing in less than 1 hour. I have skied in the morning and golfed in the afternoon. There are plenty of places within an hour to be off-roading. We are gun friendly and there are plenty of places to shoot. It is an unknown gem for golfers with the great mountian courses. The traffic is pretty good for a larger city with our new freeways. Contrary to it's reputation there is plenty to do but we don't want anyone to know that. Our economy is doing well and you'll find the people extra nice.

10. Jan 9, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    Scottyrocco16vdub

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Latham, NY
    All of that sounds amazing! I def plan on getting another Dirtbike. I have a speed triple for a street bike which I will be bringing. Plan on doing a lot of skiing during the winter then fun weekend camps trip to anywhere I can during the rest of the year! Thats what the Taco is for! I really cant wait to get out there! I am def down for getting some guns too! I have a shotgun here but i am going to leave it, completely start fresh. How hard is it to get a pistol?

11. Jan 9, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    If you can pass a background check then you can walk out of the store with one. You will probably need to make sure can prove you are a Utah resident before doing that.

12. Jan 10, 2012 at 3:54 AM
    Scottyrocco16vdub

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Latham, NY
    Wow now that is amazing! hahaha. NYS is one of the hardest places to get a pistol permit. I just gave up on even trying. Not that I really need one but it would be cool. I plan on becoming a resident as soon as I get a place there.

Any good leads on Tacos in the area? I have been checking KSL.com religiously since there isnt much action on craigslist.

13. Jan 10, 2012 at 5:47 AM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    Welcome aboard! :wave:

14. Jan 11, 2012 at 4:15 AM
    Scottyrocco16vdub

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Latham, NY
    Update, Might have actually found an apartment with a pretty killer garage underneath so I can work on all my toys.. the motorcycles will be happy. Still havent found a Taco yet, in my price and mileage range.

15. Jan 11, 2012 at 4:24 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Nice! Welcome to TW!

16. Jan 18, 2012 at 5:01 AM
    Scottyrocco16vdub

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Latham, NY
    Test drove an 08 taco yesterday. It was an auto but I just wanted to get a feel for it. Wow did I love it! I think it is the perfect size! I cant wait to get my hands on one.

Products Discussed in

To Top