1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Member, New Tacoma--what do you guys think so far?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by OSUbuckeyes, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Oct 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    OSUbuckeyes

OSUbuckeyes [OP] Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab
    I'm new to Tacoma World and wanted to share some of the basic upgrades I've made to my truck so far (with the help of some of the threads on here).

I have a 2012 SR5 Double Cab Tacoma. I don't do any offroading (yet) so they are strictly aesthetic upgrades so far.

Any suggestions on what's next? I'd like to do bigger tires, but I've read a few threads that say you have to get a leveling kit to do 275/75-16 tires. I'm not looking to void my warranty yet so I'm hesitant to mess with the suspension.

Here is the list:

- OEM Roof Rack
    - Ionic Railway Running Boards Set - Black
    - 20% Front Window Tint
    - PlastiDipped wheels and front emblem
    - Ventshade In-Channel Ventvisors

Comments/Suggestions appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Oct 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Welcome to TW.

Frank

3. Oct 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    OSUbuckeyes

OSUbuckeyes [OP] Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Yea I'd like to get completely rid of the chrome as well. Any tips on where to start?

4. Oct 9, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    Blacktacoma23

Blacktacoma23 If your tires don't rub you can fit bigger tires

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mall Crawler/84'
    6" BDS DB, 37", Dirt King, Total chaos UCA's w/ Heims, Fox c/o's, 4-banger fenders, 37" Nittos, 4.88 w/ rear ARB, AP Expos, 17x9 Method beadlocks, cab mount relocation, "Insain fab" tub, 5% tint, 10" Rockford Fosgates, Magnaflow 18" custom catback exhaust, AFE intake, Trail Gear bumper, Crown brake lines F/R
    Homeroshi grille:cool:, swap bumpers or buy an offroad bumper

5. Oct 9, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    Casey05Taco

Casey05Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Penngrove, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner
    trd seat covers, bed mat, tinted windows, debadged, mud flaps removed, tinted tails, blacked out center console, Black Rims, 6000k HID in highs and fogs, blacked out front emblem, Pioneer AVH-4300DVD, Gauge Cluster, lower valence, retrofitted, audio system, Maxtrac Spindles, Billies
    Well to me that grill looks like crap, but it depends on if the person likes the mesh style it has. Welcome to the site too

6. Oct 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    OSUbuckeyes

OSUbuckeyes [OP] Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Yea I'm not so sure if I'd like to go with a mesh grill either, but I'll do some shopping around. I think the next aesthetic upgrades I will do will be the grill and bumper. Thanks for the advice!

Any insight on the tires? I've heard mixed reviews about whether a 265/75-16 tire can fit on a stock SR5 Tacoma without a leveling kit...

7. Oct 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Welcome to TW :wave:

8. Nov 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    disassemble

disassemble Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2012 double
    Did the roof rack come with the truck or u installed it after

9. Nov 11, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    OSUbuckeyes

OSUbuckeyes [OP] Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    It's the standard roof rack from Toyota that comes on the Tacomas. I had them install it after I bought it as a part of the deal.

10. Nov 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    Good looking truck! Welcome aboard! :wave:

11. Nov 11, 2012 at 9:42 PM
    IluvTEA

IluvTEA Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Super White
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    Welcome to TW!

If you want to get rid of your chrome, I would suggest the Black Headlight Mod (BHLM). Pretty easy project to do in a half day. Multiple threads on here you show you step by step.

12. Dec 26, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    kevinsc

kevinsc 2012 dbl cab 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Lexington, south carolina
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    chrome on front painted to match, satoshi grill done by myself, BHLM, billys all the way around with ome springs upfront and LR ucas with wheelers 3 leaf progressive pack in the rear, mb gunner wheels powdercoated black on 285/75r16 nitto trail grapplers, tinted all the way around and on windshield, pioneer dbl din touch screen with two 10's behing the seat and new speakers all the way around and certain interior parts painted to match, also have a road wire leather kit black with red stitching sitting here waiting for me to find time to install it!
    i plasti dipped my rear bumper to get rid of the chrome for now.. trying to get my money straight so i can buy new plate bumpers! looks good for now.. just my .02

13. Dec 26, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    OSUbuckeyes

OSUbuckeyes [OP] Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    That's a great idea, I didn't even think about that. Does the bumper look a little off with the plasti-dip bumper instead of having it painted? Do you have any pictures?

14. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    kevinsc

kevinsc 2012 dbl cab 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    chrome on front painted to match, satoshi grill done by myself, BHLM, billys all the way around with ome springs upfront and LR ucas with wheelers 3 leaf progressive pack in the rear, mb gunner wheels powdercoated black on 285/75r16 nitto trail grapplers, tinted all the way around and on windshield, pioneer dbl din touch screen with two 10's behing the seat and new speakers all the way around and certain interior parts painted to match, also have a road wire leather kit black with red stitching sitting here waiting for me to find time to install it!
    i think mine looks good imo.. here are some pictures sorry for the quality and the sand all over the bumper as it has been raining here for a few days!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Dec 27, 2012 at 6:19 AM
    OSUbuckeyes

OSUbuckeyes [OP] Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    That looks really good!! Any tips or advice on how you did it? I plastidipped my wheels while they were still on my truck--can you do the same for the bumper?

16. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    kevinsc

kevinsc 2012 dbl cab 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    Yeah I did.. I just cleaned the chrome really well and taped off and used pages out of the wife's magazine around where any over spray could end up.. And took the tag off ofcourse! I left all the plastic on the bumper where you can step and just used a brush to get the over spray off that wasn't thick enough to just pull off after it dried and has held up really great! Good luck and post some pics when you done!

17. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    kevinsc

kevinsc 2012 dbl cab 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    Oh and I took off the tag lights off! All you do for that I take the screw out of each one and either push it easy toward the truck or away and it comes right off.. Sorry I can't remember which way to take them off..

18. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    sk8rjess

sk8rjess IG: @whoishack

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 sr5
    some duct tape and zip ties
    what part of Ohio are you from?
    welcome!

19. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Me LIKES!

20. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    OSUbuckeyes

OSUbuckeyes [OP] Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the tips! This will definitely be my next project along with the chrome on my grill. I'll post pics after I get it all done.

Did you do anything to your taillights to get them to look dark like that?

Products Discussed in

To Top