1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible New Purchase - Questions for owners

Discussion in 'New Members' started by sumncguy, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Apr 17, 2013 at 5:28 AM
    sumncguy

sumncguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hurdle Mills North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab SR5 V6 4X4 AT
    As stock as they come.
    New guy to the forum. Im considering down sizing from a Ram to a Tacoma. Im 50 and looking to hopefully get something to last until I drop. Figure in another 15/20 years Ill need grampers and will be losing my way home !

I do have a few questions for current owners.

1. What is the REAL gas mileage for the 4 and 6 ?

2. I do have street motorcycles. Is the 4, acc cab, 4x4 capable of pulling a 5x10 flat bed with a Geezer Glide (Gold Wing) on it .. without too much trouble that is ..

3. For the NORTH CAROLINA folks .. which dealer typically has the best deals ?

4. Ive never bought a small truck ... I usually refuse to pay any more than the MSRP .. actually try to work $500 off of that number ... sometimes its worked sometimes not. I know Toyota loves their trucks... is it possible to chew them down some ?

5. Finally, the big question. What are the common issues with these trucks ? EVERY vehicle has those common problems. Rattling this, switch on that sticks .. and example... the 3rd Gen Rams had a problem an actuator that open and closed the vents for the a/c. literally a .50 part. But it cost $1000 bucks to rip the dash out .... these are the things Im looking for. As always the good things are good ..

What Im considering is Access cab, 4cyl, 4x4, SR5. IF, I can find one.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any and all input provided.
    Chris

2. Apr 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    MGM Tacoma

MGM Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dunn NC
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB MGM TRD OR
    well I too came from a full size Silverado to a double cab Tacoma and I can say the room is good not as much obviously but good enough. the mileage I get is 18-20 mine is a double cab 4x4 off road auto. im in nc as well and I went to Toyota of apex they did me the best on trade and price. I got mine for right at or less then msrp out the door with tax and all. as far as the towing id really go with the v6 if your doing much of it but that is just my opinion.

3. Apr 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    [​IMG] Welcome to TW from Ferntucky, NV [​IMG]
    I think you'll be fine with the 4Banger AC 4x4.
    With stock tires mine averaged 20MPG winter gas & 24MPG summer gas

4. Apr 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    tacodave13

tacodave13 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5
    I bought a 2013 4cyl DC back in December. So far, on city miles I'm getting between 16-17. Best fill up has been 20, mostly highway.

I drive it like a grandpa, so needless to say I've been suprisingly disappointed with the fuel economy so far.

5. Apr 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    Nola TSS

Nola TSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    S Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '13 Prerunner SR5 TSS v6
    I had friends who had Nissan's and Toyota's (1st Gen) 4 cyl with 5 sp and they towed bass boats with them. They struggled pulling the boat out of the water but it was able to handle it.
    Not sure about the new gen 4 cyl but I would get the 6 if you are towing. If it's about costs then I think you should be able to make the 4 work for you.
    My gas mileage is approx 19 mpg but I've only filled up twice and there was no highway involved.

6. Apr 17, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    pamtnman

pamtnman Active Member

Member:
    PA...where else
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma etc.
    The 2002 V6 double cab TRD SR5 Tacoma I drove for 11.5 years never had a problem. A few recalls on small things that didn't effect day to day performance. Gas mileage was about 21 on average, and I do a lot of highway driving. You might think this is an unbelievable answer, but aside from the 2005 switchover model, the Tacoma has had a phenomenal record of reliability, even when used hard. It might have set a record for a single model.
    I'm in the land/timber/mining/gas/conservation business and that little truck went everywhere I ever wanted it to go, sometimes on two or three wheels. We've got photos with the bed loaded with deer and hunters and guns, on top if firewood. It's an incredibly rugged vehicle. You really cannot go wrong buying it.
    I just bought the replacement SR5 4WD double cab V6 with tow pkg from a well known dealership here in PA, for $27,750 plus taxes and tags. That's about $3,000 below msrp. The dealer ended up getting my truck from another dealer in another state and driving it up this afternoon. If you can deal with this kind of arrangement, then shop around. Good luck!

7. Apr 19, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    sumncguy

sumncguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hurdle Mills North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab SR5 V6 4X4 AT
    As stock as they come.
    Thanks for all the input fellas ... good stuff !!

Products Discussed in

To Top