1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Torque Converter and Tranny going Bad - Maybe

Discussion in 'New Members' started by zeppyman, May 28, 2013.

1. May 28, 2013 at 3:18 PM
    zeppyman

zeppyman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    09 aTacoma truck
    Hello and Help please.

Have a 2009 Dbl Cab Tacoma with 107,000 miles on it.

Have a vibration at 38 to 42 mph...nice little shake sounds like it is coming from the front. It gets amplified if your going up a grade and hold at that 40 plus or minus speed.

Took it into the dealer finally and they determined it was a Cam Gear as they got a code for it. They replace it and still there.

Next they tried replacing drive shaft and u joints. Yes, still there and so they put back on the old drive shaft and Us.

Finally, it was determined to be the Torque Converter....and later the next day they added the Transmission. They replaced both and you got it....problem still there but better they said.

Diagnosis: The Torque Converter had went bad and it cause the transmission to be recommened to be replaced as well. Tranny runs fine as far as I can tell but they found aluminum metal shavings in the pan and said it the Tranny was corrupted...would go in time. Now there searching for what is making even the new Torque Converter do what the old one did. They believe it is the computer sending a wrong signal and the clutch or fly wheel is not engaging at 40 mph. I don't fully understand the mechanics behind it all. All I know there still looking for the causitive problem and I am waiting to be told next I have a bad computer.

Gentlemen, I am at a loss and surely don't want to pay for a new tranny when perhaps it was not necessary. Could it be somthing simple like a strut or something. Oh yeah, forgot they replaced one broken engine mount but that was not it.

Could it be the Rear Diff?

If it turns out be the rear diff or anything else not capable of directly effecting the performance of the torque converter then all these repairs mostly have been perhaps in vain.

I could sure use some help. They have the truck for another day or two and I want to be prepared to discusss what they report back to me. Also, IF whether or not I have paid for a New Transmission and Torque C. unnecessarly. Not saying I have but I need to feel comforable the repairs made have been fair.

Thank you.

Jim

2. May 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    Raceline08

Raceline08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Santa Rosa, ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 DBC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad
    front Billies, 885x coils, taco lean spacer, TC UCA'S, Magnaflow 22" OME Dakars, Billy 110 rear's, B.A.M.F CMC, custom made E-locker guard
    Welcome

3. May 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    next time it occures put it in 4wd and see if it goes away.

4. Jan 12, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    jrowe4321

jrowe4321 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner access cab
    did you ever figure out what the problem was? My truck is making the same exact vibration and i took it to toyota a week ago and theyve been trying to fix it for 2 weeks. They put a new driveshaft in last week and it didnt change anything and they are putting a new transmission in tommorow. It was the weirdest thing, both mine and my friends tacoma started the weird vibration around the same time..

5. Apr 28, 2014 at 10:32 AM
    TX Tacoma

TX Tacoma Fightin Texas Aggie

Member:
    Arlington, TX
    Did you ever definitively figure out your issue?

I have a 2009 PreRunner Dbl Cab 4.0L with 95K miles. Just started having similar situation vibrations at 22-25mph, 32-35mph, and 40-43mph, usually at 1500rpm, while under load (accelerating) and gets worse if I'm driving up an incline.

Have done the following:
    New tires (balanced of course)
    New u joints (all 3)
    Transmission flush and new filter
    New spark plugs

I found nothing in the transmission pan to suggest anything other than usual wear (minimal grey sediment on magnets, no shavings).

Truck still vibrates. I could believe a computer is telling the transmission something incorrect, but I'm open to other input as well.

My truck has never suffered from the well documented vibrations that some tacomas seem to have from day one. I don't think this is anything like the carrier bearing or driveshaft having incorrect operating angles since this problem was nonexistent in the first 94,000 miles of driving. I think this is something that has gone bad and needs replacement, just don't know what yet.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  6. Apr 28, 2014 at 12:12 PM
    sportsfreak3122

sportsfreak3122 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Arlington,WA
    Vehicle:
    sr5 trd
    I recently bought a 2002 Tacoma trd and was thinking about lifting it to put 35/9.5/16 on it any lift recomendations?

7. Apr 28, 2014 at 12:17 PM
    nucktaco

nucktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    south surrey, bc
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport
    satoshi mod, sliders, tinted tails/3rd brake, 3" lift,
    starting your own thread or using the search feature might be a good place to start. :confused:

8. May 13, 2018 at 6:26 PM
    tombrown47

tombrown47 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Somerville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner Super White
    My 2010 Taco 4dr, short bed V6 vibrates at 42mph. If someone figure it out, please let me know.

Products Discussed in

To Top