1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air flow meter with supercharger

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Josher, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Jun 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    Josher

Josher [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Stoutland
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma prerunner w/ 3.4L
    TRD Supercharger larger air intake hose, larger air flow meter and possible other mods
    Hello, i have a 98' tacoma prerunner with a 3.4L. It has had the following mods....

A Trd supercharger (assuming the receipt in glove box for a "custom high stall converter" $420 is the 'TRD supercharger'

And i also found a receipt in the glove box for item FTC1-017E(something to do with fuel/timing cal, etc.) with a cost of $579.00

The air flow meter is a bigger diameter than the stock meter. The original application for this meter is to a 93-98 supra turbo. This air flow meter has gone bad.

I cannot find this exact meter anywhere but the Toyota dealer for $1,000.00! My question is...can i use a different toyota maf, as long as it is the same diameter air opening and plug-in? For example, the air flow meter of a 95-97 Lexus LS400 is nearly identical except for the cross hairs in what i call the center torpedo tube. I can find this maf at salvages for less than $100. Can you tell me if this maf would work or should i send this broken meter off to cardone through my local auto parts and have it rebuilt for nearly $300?

I appreciate any advice you can give me. My truck has been down for weeks and i'm really needing to get it fixed. Would just like to do so as cheap as possible.

Thank you, Joe

2. Jun 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    I doubt that a MAF for a different engine will give the ECU a correct reading

3. Jun 8, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    Josher

Josher [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Stoutland
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma prerunner w/ 3.4L
    TRD Supercharger larger air intake hose, larger air flow meter and possible other mods
    I thought it might if it was wired the same with the same plugin(toyota making lexus) and the diameter of the mafs opening was exactly the same. Isnt the job of the maf to sense the air flow and send that info to the ECU so it knows how much fuel to send?

4. Jun 8, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    amain

amain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Anacortes, Washington USA
    Vehicle:
    07 SC TRD FJ - The Black Lemon
    Fender Cracks
    You will know if you have a TRD supercharger. I am thinking not unless you forgot to add a zero at the end of your $420 receipt. Post a pic of the part you need and I'm sure someone could help.

Products Discussed in

To Top