1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering/Front end play

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Brewster, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Dec 28, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    Brewster

Brewster [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Calgary Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD SPORT DOUBLE CAB SHORT BOX 6 SPEED
    Toytec coil overs with 700lb Eibach Springs. SPC Upper Control Arms, Toytec 1/2" Top Plate Spacers, East Coast Gear Supply Drivers Side Front Diff Bushing Mod, FAb Four Front Bumper, Warn Zeon 10 Winch, Supercharged, AllPro Heavy Duty Sliders, Bed Cover, Bed Rug, Weather Techs, Tint, Ridgid Grille and 20" Spot/Flood Combo, Katzkin Black Leather Interior With Red Stitching, Heated Seats, True Dual Exhaust With Cat Delete with Flowmaster Super 40's, Toltec Boss Shocks with Add-a-leaf, SCS Ray 10's Gunmetal Grey and Black 17",Tires Goodyear Wrangler MTR With Kevlar 305/70R17.
    Hello from Calgary
    I just bought a 2015 TRD Sport Prem,DC,SWB,6spd, with a dealer installed 3 inch spacer lift,285-70-17 and have what feels like a small amount of steering play while driving on gravel or rough roads, I will be taking it back to the dealer on Mon, has anyone experienced this or know what it could be? Thanks in advance!

2. Dec 29, 2014 at 4:31 AM
    Nu2Toyota

Nu2Toyota Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    Wish I could answer your question.I am experiencing the same problem with a 2010 that I bought a couple months ago.Seems to handle fine on smooth level roads.Get on a rough,uneven road and,it's all over the place.Constantly fighting,correcting the wheel.Have had it checked twice and can't find anything wrong.Worst handling vehicle I have ever owned.Hope somebody has an answer.

3. Dec 29, 2014 at 5:12 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    One word...

Caster..

for better tracking and a tighter feel, getting the caster some where around 2 to 2.5 will do wonders...

did you replace UCA? some times to get the proper caster this needs to be done, also helps with droop rubbing...

4. Dec 29, 2014 at 8:57 AM
    mrothwell

mrothwell Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 V6 TRD Sport 6-Speed!
    Bone Stock.
    I think he's talking about the knocking that you get when you drive on gravel or washboard. Tacoma people seem to think its normal, but I've never felt it on any other type of truck. The play comes from the joint in the steering column that's supposed to collapse in the event of a wreck, I saw a writeup somewhere where a guy tack welded it to get rid of the play, I'm not sure how that would effect the safety aspect of it though.

There's also a TSB from Toyota to fix the issue. Mine does it, but the stupid tech at the dealership wouldn't take it on a gravel road to sort out the source of the play. Supposedly the TSB doesn't really fix it anyway.

5. Jun 29, 2015 at 4:59 PM
    Brewster

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Calgary Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Toytec coil overs with 700lb Eibach Springs. SPC Upper Control Arms, Toytec 1/2" Top Plate Spacers, East Coast Gear Supply Drivers Side Front Diff Bushing Mod, FAb Four Front Bumper, Warn Zeon 10 Winch, Supercharged, AllPro Heavy Duty Sliders, Bed Cover, Bed Rug, Weather Techs, Tint, Ridgid Grille and 20" Spot/Flood Combo, Katzkin Black Leather Interior With Red Stitching, Heated Seats, True Dual Exhaust With Cat Delete with Flowmaster Super 40's, Toltec Boss Shocks with Add-a-leaf, SCS Ray 10's Gunmetal Grey and Black 17",Tires Goodyear Wrangler MTR With Kevlar 305/70R17.
    Sorry for the long delay folks but finally had this problem addressed by the dealer and they replaced the intermediate steering shaft, this took most of the play in the steering out of it and I would say its about 85-90% now. Thanks for your help guys, I now have a clunk when driving over rough pavement and or speed bumps coming from the rear end, Toyota says this is normal with the 6 speed and that its the play in the driveshaft, for a truck with less than 8K on it doesnt seem normal at all!!!

6. Jul 1, 2015 at 7:46 AM
    mattgecko

mattgecko The LED Lighting Guy. MattGeckoLEDs.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB O.R. 4wd TRD Super Charged
    Congrats on your new Tacoma and welcome!

7. Jul 1, 2015 at 7:19 PM
    Brewster

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Calgary Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Matt, sweet truck!! How do you like it now that its supercharged? planning on doing this myself once I replenish the piggy bank again.

8. Jul 13, 2015 at 2:42 PM
    TACO PICANTE

TACO PICANTE Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Lone Star State
    Vehicle:
    "The Ant"
    I don't know anymore!
    Just emailed the dealership to get the truck evaluated. The clunking noise I hear and play in the steering wheel definitely does not seem normal. Here is a link for some helpful information and possible diagnosis. Hope this helps.

Products Discussed in

To Top