Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North East

Notices

Snow blower advice

Old 01-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Poot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Poot Klopp's Tacoma Gallery
Snow blower advice

I live in central Jersey with my girl friends parents at the moment. They have an old snowblower that has really struggled this season. I know this kind of snowfall is not common, but since I'm moving out I'd like to buy them a new blower since I'm not going to be able to help.

Can anyone recommend a blower that they have experience with in this area? I'm thinking a mid range two stage blower... Any advice would be great.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
How much are you looking to spend? A lower end self-propelled MTD (Yard Machines, Craftsman) would run you about $800...with 6 fwd and 2 reverse speeds.or you can go lower and get one from Wal-Mart for about $500-$600.

A step up is a Toro, Simplicity, or Ariens with 6 fwd and 2 reverse speeds for $1000-$1100. These units are a little for powerful and durable.

It all depends on what kind of surface you're going to be using it on, whether it's level or sloped, how deep the snow, how wide the walk or driveway, and how much you want to spend. Typically things follow the old saying, "You get what you pay for."

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
Poot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedPoot Klopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Poot Klopp's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Marc, It will be used for a sloped driveway and a corner lot sidewalk. I think I'll have to check local stores for there stock.

Janster yes it is, one in general and one in regional, but thanks for the advice...
Old 01-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C. View Post
How much are you looking to spend? A lower end self-propelled MTD (Yard Machines, Craftsman) would run you about $800...with 6 fwd and 2 reverse speeds.or you can go lower and get one from Wal-Mart for about $500-$600.

A step up is a Toro, Simplicity, or Ariens with 6 fwd and 2 reverse speeds for $1000-$1100. These units are a little for powerful and durable.

It all depends on what kind of surface you're going to be using it on, whether it's level or sloped, how deep the snow, how wide the walk or driveway, and how much you want to spend. Typically things follow the old saying, "You get what you pay for."

Good luck!
I've got an MTD (Yard Machine) 10 horse, 24 inch path. 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse. I got it used for $400 about 6 years ago. Only problem I've had so far is a broken shear pin, cost 2 dollars to replace. If we had this kind of snow every year, I don't know how it would hold up, but for our usual winters it does fine.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
LEEP is on a distinguished road
Name: LEE
LEEP's Tacoma Gallery
HONDA SNOW BLOWER MODEL 928 VERY HAPPY WITH MINE ALSO HAS TRACKS COST 2 GRAND BUT WELL WORTH IT
Old 01-31-2011, 05:51 AM   #7
JoshO is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
JoshO's Tacoma Gallery
I have had a MTD from Home Depot since about 2003, cost about $700 new and have never had any problems with it. It has gone through several large snow falls including the 3 that hit MD last year and cleared a ton of snow. It is a 2 stage with 5 forward 2 reverse and the chute is manual adjustment, but has an electric start. I would say there is about 100-150 hours on the engine. Still a champ.