1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheelin 101 October 4th @ Rausch Creek

Discussion in 'North East' started by Janster, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Sep 3, 2008 at 6:59 AM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Greetings Gang,

Saturday October 4th @ Rausch Creek offroad park - the Keystone Krawlers offroad club will be holding a *Wheeling 101* trip. This trip is specifically designed for the new folks & first timers who wanna get their feet wet in offroading. There should be a small lecture in the morning about offroading, offroad driving, and trail etiquette. And there will be seasoned wheelers there to help/assist you with anything, spotting, coaching, & what-not.

If you're interested in attending - Please contact Nancy via e-mail
    n_roberts_dbsc@hotmail.com
    If you plan to attend Please send your name, what you'll be wheelin in(and color), and your cell phone number or some way to reach you that morning if need be. If you are new to RC please get there before 8am to fill out all your registration paperwork. The Wheelin 101 group is meeting at 8:30 am.

Anyone is welcome!! First timers, newbies, experienced wheelers, any 4WD vehicles..... but make a note - we will be running GREEN (easy) trails all day and utilizing our time primarily to help the first timers & new folks.

If you are attending - please make sure your vehicle is maintained and prepared for a day on the trails. Make sure you dress accordingly for the weather and also wear hiking books and/or sturdy sneakers/shoes. Bring a cooler with a packed lunch and drinks (no alcolohol!!). We will be on the trails most of the day stopping for lunch and generally stay on the trails till late afternoon or later.

Rausch Creek offroad Park is located in Tower City/Tremont PA area. It's a Pay-to-play park. Costs are $30 a day with a $10 one-time yearly membership fee.
    For more information about the park:
    http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/index.php
    Trail maps
    http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/sis/maps.php
    Rules & Regulations
    http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/sis/rnr.php
    Directions
    http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/sis/direct.php

And for some information about offroading, driving, & trail etiquette:
    http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/sis/maps.php

My husband and I will most likely be in attendance helping out with the event, coaching, spotting, etc.

If you have any questions -feel free to ask!!
    Hope to see ya there!

2. Sep 8, 2008 at 9:05 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Bump for a great day on the trails!

3. Sep 11, 2008 at 5:40 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Bump!!

Forgot to add:
    When e-mailing Nancy (n_roberts_dbsc@hotmail.com)
    Please send your name, what you'll be wheelin in(and color), and your cell phone number or some way to reach you that morning if need be. If you are new to RC please get there before 8am to fill out all your registration paperwork. The Wheelin 101 group is meeting at 8:30 am.

4. Sep 23, 2008 at 11:30 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    Bump.

Rausch Creek is a great place to play! Even if you've got a stock rig you can still run with the crazy built ones as most of the really hard trails have easy paths around them.

5. Oct 3, 2008 at 4:11 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Woot Woot!!
    I'm physched for tomorrow! Finally getting the jeep out in the dirt after a year! Yikes!! Looks like we've got 25 rigs attending!

6. Oct 3, 2008 at 8:12 AM
    Mz_TazComa

Mz_TazComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 D-Cab TRD Sport LB
    Soooo tempting. I wish it was closer. :(

7. Oct 5, 2008 at 4:03 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    We had a GREAT day yesterday!! 25 rigs...a HUGE turn-out. Unfortunately - because of the large amount of rigs, I couldn't possibly get a picture of everyone. I was driving all day and my husband was walking the trails spotting the folks through the obstacles. A lot of first timers with some nice new rigs!! Had our morning lecture/schooling (in the rain), lined up and headed out.

The first half of the day we went around on some 'access' type trails - started off light. Hit a few obstacles that gave 'em a taste. Right before lunch - a few of the more experienced folks branched off onto trail 22 (blue/black) very rocky trail. The rest of the group was there to watch the bigger rigs tackle the bigger rocks. For the most part - this type of trail requires lots of experiece, a locker is helpful, and/or a good spotter to get you through it. Unfortunately, a few rigs decided to tackle this trail without experience, without lockers, and without a spotter. Little did we know...??
    One rig got hung up pretty good, bent tie-rod, and required rock piling and an early exit off the trail. And...actually, this was good for the other folks to see that - as it showed them....this isn't always a walk in the park and shit can get ugly really fast.

Every time we do these 101 events - As staff, I think we forget what's going on inside the minds of the new folks. Majority of the people are aprehensive - which is a good thing!! But you also have a few folks who are a bit too 'anxious' to explore. When someone wants to explore harder trails, it's hard to know how much experience they have based on what they tell you.

After lunch - we split into two groups. The one group was folks who have wheeled before and/or have mildly built rigs. The other group was those who were first timers. Most of the pictures are of the first timers....

We did have some major carnage in the other group. I didn't see it myself but I think the mud hole & a heavy right foot got the best of 'em. A new rig nicely lifted - broke something in the rear diff (probably spider gears if I had to guess) and broke BOTH front u-joints/axleshafts. I always hate seeing stuff like this - but again, this isn't a game out here. If you're not careful, things can bite you in the ass in a hurry.

Picts here:
    http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=140

The two tacoma guys aren't on this forum - atleast not yet. :D

Lots of folks from NJ.... a guy drove down from Massachusetts, some from Virginia, New York. A great turn-out!!
    [​IMG]

8. Oct 5, 2008 at 4:33 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Oh yeah, my own personal Jeep carnage.....
    I have a TJ exhaust from the manifold to the muffler. After that is stock YJ stuff. I have a 6" piece of pipe that connects the two. This section has been leaking for a long time and my lazy ass self failed to fix it. I've tightened the clamps many times and it still leaked. Well....... driving down the trails, my Jeep started sounding a little louder than usual till it suddenly got really loud. Ooops...should've taken care of this earlier eh? Strapped up the muffler and just drove home. Tried to be quiet through town... This time, I'm gonna make sure it gets fixed for good!

[​IMG]

9. Oct 7, 2008 at 12:09 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    There's nothing quite as effective as wheeling to keep a person current on their vehicular maintenance. :p

Congrats on the minimal breakage!

10. Oct 7, 2008 at 1:00 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    awesome pics!!!! that f150 almost looked too damn big for the trails!!!:D

11. Oct 7, 2008 at 3:35 PM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Naa.....He had to work a little harder to thread it through some areas.

He did a really good job driving through everything.

He had running boards on it and there was a pretty tall 'stump' on the passenger side that he didn't see. Crunch! He didn't care.... rather be them than the side of the truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top