Notices

Road salt, rust, and suspension question

Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
glassman is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
glassman's Tacoma Gallery
Road salt, rust, and suspension question

Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for a long-travel kit for my second gen tacoma prerunner. The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger is my worry about rust from when they salt the roads up here in the winter (I'm from southern california, this is new to me...).

I've essentially convinced myself that I can keep the uniballs as clean as possible in order to *try* to prevent rust. My last worry is that after installing fiberglass fenders, the inner wheel well will need to be removed. I've seen a couple of folks that have made their own custom inner fender wells, but I'm not sure how well that's worked out. Is it completely necessary to remove the inner fender well when installing the glassworks front fenders? If so, how bad of an idea is this with respect to allowing salt and other crap fly into places that I probably won't want it to fly into?

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks very much.

Ryan
Old 06-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
virgilus11's Tacoma Gallery
Oh boy,,, if you are from California ???? you are in for a big surprise. This is NORTH EAST. There are no places where you can or need to have a long travel kit. There are no open places where you can race and really use that long travel kit.
Most of the guys that had or have problem with the rust with theirs expensive, fancy suspenssion will not tell you much. Call it pride. Based on my experience with any exposed stainless steel ,,,,,, can't handle the salt, sand and (or) rust. I spent big bucks on Icons and had to rebuild them twice in one year and half.

I give up and went for something less fancy but as good for what i am doing and the north east salt. OME with LIght RAcing A arms. Both have the shaft and the joint protected.
I don't know about you but I don't really have any time to go under my truck every day with a bottle of lube every night.
To make it clear to you,,, salt and sand will eat your exposed shaft with in very short time.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy Maryland.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
imo, go ahead and do the install. We've had plenty of winters where we didnt get any snow. Additionally, I would imagine that by the time your suspension rusts out, you'd have enough miles on it to warrant a replacement anyway.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Why long travel on the east coast? Also, Oswego made a thread about UCA's in New England and made a recommendation for parts that hold up better with the salty roads we have. I see you're in Maryland so there may be winters where you won't have salt although a year ago Maryland got like 4x the snow we got in Mass.