1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheeling with a stock truck

Discussion in 'North East' started by bgsmith, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Oct 4, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    bgsmith

bgsmith [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ATX Mojaves with 265/75 16 Hankook Dynapro ATMs, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers (front and rear), Bilstein 5100 all around up front set at 1.75", Blacked out badges, Pioneer AVIC D3 DVD/NAV Head Unit, K&N Air Filter, Tyger Tri Fold Tonneau Cover, Rockford Fosgate Punch Speakers.
    OK, apologies for what might be a dumb question, but just wanted to ask how capable our trucks are off road with little or no mods?

I recently picked up a 2006 TRD Sport 4x4 quad cab and was looking through the below thread and would like to get into some wheeling but am not looking to heavily mod my truck. I use it as a daily driver and commute about 100 miles round trip each day.

As of now I have picked up a set of Pro Comp steel wheels and will probably wrap them with some Firestone Destination ATs just to have a better AT tire on my truck for winters as well as some beach driving in the summer. Any must have mods, if any, in order to make my truck more capable off road? Or should I be good to do some minor off roading with my pretty much stock truck?

Again apologies for my ignorance as I am new to the truck world and thanks in advance for any info you guys may have.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/north-east/170123-southern-nh-meet-greet-aug-sept-2011-a.html

2. Oct 6, 2011 at 12:35 AM
    Panther

Panther Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kaiden
    BH, ME & BOS, MA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport DCLB
    OEM lift. Ditch lights
    Around here in New England*, I think just some tires other than stock should do well for off roading. And I've been looking into some sliders. Although lifts (and bigger tires) are good for a number of reasons while off road, they can do a number on your gas mileage. And depending on how much wheeling you intend to do versus how long your commute is, you'll probably get your answer on which way to go.

Since my Taco is my daily driver, and I go to school right around Boston, I'll probably stick with my stock suspension and tire size for that reason. Once I move out away from the city though, that'll be a whole different story ;)

All in all, I've had no problem doing some wheeling in my pretty much stock truck. I've been up to the Mast Rd area, and rode it just fine, and have done some more "out in the wild" stuff in the backwoods of Maine.

*Edit - Eastern, southernish New England. Where there are more interstate highways than trees.

3. Oct 6, 2011 at 4:54 AM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    The lift itself shouldn't affect gas mileage. I have a 3" lift with 305/60-18 tires and gas mileage isn't much worse than stock, but it all depends on the size of the tire, and possibly how aggressive the tread pattern is.

4. Oct 6, 2011 at 5:04 AM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    Try it out on a dirt road / path. Our trucks are pretty capable stock, better with better tires. Unless you hard core off road wait on the lift and armor mods until you need them.

Be careful and don't break your truck!

5. Oct 6, 2011 at 5:10 AM
    tacomike36

tacomike36 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    canada
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    tint
    I have the firestones on mine and I can't stand them. As soon as its a little wet on or off road they just love to slip/ spin. It doesn't matter how gentle I try to take off. But that's just my 2 cents.

6. Oct 14, 2011 at 4:12 AM
    ToyTaco

ToyTaco For the Retards, Im a Female

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Newark, DE
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport 4x4 modified
    I think thats with all tires with these trucks. I have the Nitto Grappler A/T tires on mine, def. an upgrade from the stock firestones, but in some instances like to spin and slip on wet or semi wet roads if i put my foot into it to much after sitting still.

7. Oct 14, 2011 at 5:23 AM
    darrmill

darrmill Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DC SB
    Pop N Lock, Weathertechs, Viper remote starter, Intermittent wiper switch, devil horns, Access rollup tonneau, Wet Okoles, Rocky Mounts, EGR vent guards
    Hey Panther, what or where is the Mast Rd area?

8. Oct 14, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    It's in Nashua, NH. Not far from the Budweiser Plant.

Products Discussed in

To Top