Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North East

Notices

MARYLAND TACOMAS

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #3341
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball946 View Post
Did any of you guys have issues with U-joints after you lifted your trucks. Mines a 2009 Sport DCSB 4wd, recently lifted and something went snap when I was down in OC. Its at Toyota right now and they suspect its a U-joint, just wondering if any of you had this problem, maybe the lift added some stress??
Eh depends on the lift, the Joint was prob already going bad... and the added angle just caused you to notice it. How often do you grease them?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #3342
Taco aficionado
fireball946 is on a distinguished road

Name: Patrick
fireball946's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezidentRedz View Post
Eh depends on the lift, the Joint was prob already going bad... and the added angle just caused you to notice it. How often do you grease them?
Hmm, it was the toytec lift, it came with the axle shims which I thought were supposed to keep the driveshaft at the correct angle. I haven't greased them personally myself, I get the truck serviced regularly. Actually come to think of it it was not even 1k miles ago that I got a 50K service by the shop I go too a week after the lift was put on. Then proceeded to drive 500+ miles over a weekend to Ocean city, around town, and back. That's where it started.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #3343
Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded
BlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
BlackSeven's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmm, it was the toytec lift, it came with the axle shims which I thought were supposed to keep the driveshaft at the correct angle. I haven't greased them personally myself, I get the truck serviced regularly. Actually come to think of it it was not even 1k miles ago that I got a 50K service by the shop I go too a week after the lift was put on. Then proceeded to drive 500+ miles over a weekend to Ocean city, around town, and back. That's where it started.
My regular cab has issues with the driveshaft (Needs a longer double cardan shaft), but your truck shouldn't have any problems since you have a carrier bearing in the shaft. Unless they didn't put the shims in right (or not at all). A binding driveshaft is easy to diagnose, cause you'll get all sorts of vibes, especially on deceleration.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #3344
Taco aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSeven View Post
My regular cab has issues with the driveshaft (Needs a longer double cardan shaft), but your truck shouldn't have any problems since you have a carrier bearing in the shaft. Unless they didn't put the shims in right (or not at all). A binding driveshaft is easy to diagnose, cause you'll get all sorts of vibes, especially on deceleration.
I wouldn't call what I've been getting a vibe...its more of just a noise like a lose piece of metal moving around, if that makes sense . It is most prevalent when I let off the gas and coast, like you said. The only time my truck physically feels like something is severely out of place is when I go into reverse and it makes a hellacious clunk.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #3345
BlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I wouldn't call what I've been getting a vibe...its more of just a noise like a lose piece of metal moving around, if that makes sense . It is most prevalent when I let off the gas and coast, like you said. The only time my truck physically feels like something is severely out of place is when I go into reverse and it makes a hellacious clunk.
likely either the carrier bearing or u joint.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #3346
Taco aficionado

Quote:
likely either the carrier bearing or u joint.
I got the truck back an hour ago, they replaced two U-joints and said that the main issue was that the drive shaft was at an awkward angle, nothing to do with the lift or the way the lift was installed, but its eliminated the problem. See how long it lasts.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #3347

Quote:
I got the truck back an hour ago, they replaced two U-joints and said that the main issue was that the drive shaft was at an awkward angle, nothing to do with the lift or the way the lift was installed, but its eliminated the problem. See how long it lasts.
if it's at an awkward angle, and they didn't do anything to correct it, the u-joints will likely fail again. And how could it be related to anything other then the lift.

Did you get a carrier bearing drop bracket?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #3348
Taco aficionado

Quote:
if it's at an awkward angle, and they didn't do anything to correct it, the u-joints will likely fail again. And how could it be related to anything other then the lift.

Did you get a carrier bearing drop bracket?
Yea they didn't do anything to correct it so it really is a matter of time before it happens again but the tech at Toyota did talk about dropping the carrier bearing to put the angle back to what it was. I was just looking at the drop kit on toytecs website.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #3349
wherestaco is just really nicewherestaco is just really nicewherestaco is just really nicewherestaco is just really nice

Name: matt
wherestaco's Tacoma Gallery
If the u joints went up that quick after installing a lift and they just replaced the joints then after a couple hundred miles your drive shaft will start to get play in it again I would check it every couple hundred miles at 1st and grease every 3k
Old 05-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #3350
Taco aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherestaco View Post
If the u joints went up that quick after installing a lift and they just replaced the joints then after a couple hundred miles your drive shaft will start to get play in it again I would check it every couple hundred miles at 1st and grease every 3k
That's what I'm afraid of, but I'm going to order the carrier barring drop kit and hopefully that will resolve it. Thanks for the advice, will be keeping a close eye on it, dont want anymore problems haha
Old 05-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #3351
mo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant futuremo13 has a brilliant future
Navy: AD2
Name: Marc
mo13's Tacoma Gallery
What up guys any of y'all know where I can get a CMC done I know I asked earlier but never got any info.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #3352
TicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tico
TicoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
anybody down to help me put my lift kit on? i just got an ome 3 inch lift kit and would like some assistance/extra set of hands. plus i dont really know what im doing(first truck) but i am used to being under a car. any takers??? ill supply the.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #3353

All of you need to go to this link and take the survey. http://survey.rrcresearch.com/s3/Maryland

Let them know you're livid about their complete inability to properly manage off-road vehicle use. Rather then completely shutting down the offroad vehicle trails in Maryland (which they did back in 2009) they should have put more of an effort into striking a balance between the sustainable forest bullshit and recreational use of the land by OHV.

Now, Off-roaders have no place to go in MD.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #3354
Taco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Taco Guy11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
All of you need to go to this link and take the survey. http://survey.rrcresearch.com/s3/Maryland

Let them know you're livid about their complete inability to properly manage off-road vehicle use. Rather then completely shutting down the offroad vehicle trails in Maryland (which they did back in 2009) they should have put more of an effort into striking a balance between the sustainable forest bullshit and recreational use of the land by OHV.

Now, Off-roaders have no place to go in MD.
Ill do this as soon as I get off work there two places near me they shut down green ridge and popular lick trail I did alot of camping up in popular lick since no every idiot can get across the river it was nice back in there.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #3355
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by TicoTRD View Post
anybody down to help me put my lift kit on? i just got an ome 3 inch lift kit and would like some assistance/extra set of hands. plus i dont really know what im doing(first truck) but i am used to being under a car. any takers??? ill supply the.
What part of MD are you in?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #3357
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
anne arundel county. but i am willing to drive a reasonable distance.
I'm in dunkirk, when did you plan on install
Old 05-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #3359

Quote:
Well are you free the weekend of the 8th?
As of right now yes
Old 05-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #3360
Tacoma1991 is on a distinguished road

Name: Layne
Tacoma1991's Tacoma Gallery
hey guys i have a stock 2005 grill up for grabs, pm if interested want to sell it soon!

Products Discussed in this Thread