Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North East

Notices

MARYLAND TACOMAS

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #6741
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayCrusher View Post
cool!, what size opening in the recovery point do these need?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #6743
money pit
zopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Zak
zopperman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
these would be cool to use, not quite as blingy as a regular shackle though. I wouldnt want them dangling on my front bumper as my DD.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #6744
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15xAR10 View Post
I also wonder if they would fit in the front end recovery points
yeah, i want a few for pulling out other people cars and such... less chance for messing their car up and its easier to fit a rope coil than a full steel shackle
Old 03-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #6746

Quote:
Also thought about that
i dont even leave my hitch receiver shackle in, knowing my luck someone would take it and try to sell it on craigslist
Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #6748
money pit
zopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Zak
zopperman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunt596 View Post
i dont even leave my hitch receiver shackle in, knowing my luck someone would take it and try to sell it on craigslist
mine has some loc tite on it so you need pliers or a wrench to pull it
Old 03-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #6749
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good stuff i have a few from southeast overland that i use just abotu every trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zopperman View Post
these would be cool to use, not quite as blingy as a regular shackle though. I wouldnt want them dangling on my front bumper as my DD.
that's not really how they work.....

they are not meant to replace steel shackles all together, but rather just be a substitute where a steel one will not work. i use mine when i need to winch myself or someone else sideways, from a slider or tube bumper, where the opening in a standard shackle will not fit over. these prevent the need to loop a strap around something, with a "choker", which lessens the strength of the strap.

i know you can't actually see it, but there is a soft shackle attaching the come-along to the wing of my rear bumper. this prevents the dangerous situations you get into when severely side loading a rearward facing shackle and shackle point on the bumper.

they also work great if you have two ends of a strap that need to be attached, but they don't quite fit into a shackle.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #6751
Texas Transplant Taco
ClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to behold

ClayCrusher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I also wonder if they would fit in the front end recovery points
YES! They fit in the front end recovery point. They only need a 5/16' hole
Old 03-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #6752
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Oh i c
this isn't my picture, but here's a good example of where to use it. a standard 3/4'' shackle will not fit around a slider.

another use would be for winching anchor points that are embeed into rock. great recovery points, but you can't fit a standard shackle around it.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #6753
Quantum731 is on a distinguished road

Quantum731's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Damn shame its 2012.....i have chewed up 2008 front bumper and flares...
I have a 2011 bumper I would sell if gray would work for ya. Can always repaint.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #6754
jds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
jds0912's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=colinb17;8346437]this isn't my picture, but here's a good example of where to use it. a standard 3/4'' shackle will not fit around a slider.

Couldn't you just run the strap around the slider and back through the eye so it tightens on itself? That's what I've done. It is a bitch to get off though.

Quote:
What are you the capt. of tying knots? jk. Good with lines, from annapolis, you sail!? I may need a new jib halyard in the future!
Old 03-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #6755

Looks like you just answered your own question, Justin

it can be hard to get undone. that is a choker style attachment, meaning that you have to lessen the strength of the strap (i forget the percentage). and if you are going to do a shoker with a strap, the proper way to do t is to link it to itself with a shackle, not by running it through it's own eye.

also you are left with a long strap tail, so if you are in a tight spot and the winching truck is only 15 feet away, you're in trouble if all you have is a 20 or 30 ft strap.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #6756
Texas Transplant Taco
ClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to beholdClayCrusher is a splendid one to behold

ClayCrusher's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=jds0912;8346895]
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
this isn't my picture, but here's a good example of where to use it. a standard 3/4'' shackle will not fit around a slider.

Couldn't you just run the strap around the slider and back through the eye so it tightens on itself? That's what I've done. It is a bitch to get off though.

What are you the capt. of tying knots? jk. Good with lines, from annapolis, you sail!? I may need a new jib halyard in the future!
Yes to all your questions. And PM me for that halyard
Old 03-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #6757

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hunter View Post
I have never seen one of those lol!
i think those pictures are from Moab. typically used in places where there are no trees or other available winch points, and where the surface is too hard to use a typical style ground anchor.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #6758

you only had one slider?
Old 03-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #6759

bah, ditch the softie....MOAR RC PARTZ!!!!!!

Products Discussed in this Thread