Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North East

Notices

Need Help Doing My Brakes( In Mass)

Old 04-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
aidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: miguel
aidenhardcore's Tacoma Gallery
Need Help Doing My Brakes( In Mass)

Hey guys, Its time to do my brakes. I almost hit someone last night cause I have like no pad left lol. Since I have no idea how to do them, I was thinking if there were any Tw guys that wouldnt mind helping me out and show me how to do them. Please. That would be great and would save me tons of money . I'll even buy you lunch or give you some money for helping me. Anything is better then going to the stealership lol. Thanks guys.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
aidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bump. Amyone
Old 04-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
How many miles do you have on the truck?
Im happy to help when you start but if you know nothing about brakes it may be best to have a professional put the pads on as the rotors may need to be turned if your that low on pad(depending on how hot theyve gotten or if the indicators have gouged rotor).
You can usually find a shop to replace them for less than 100.00 or so.
I have only 23k on the truck lol. Wearing out super fast. Truck is a 2010 too. I might not need new rotors but I might just buy them so everything is new.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
If i ever get time off i could help you with them. One thing if you need just pads thats really really easy. IDk if you have stuck calipers or what not. If you need to change them i would recomend going with the NAPA ones. They are high quality and last longer than the factory toyota remaned ones.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
There could be several factors - the pads could be worn or they have lost integrity from weather, poor material, etc.
Pull a wheel let us know the pad thickness, inspect visually for defects etc.
Rob from tw looked at them and said they needed replacing soon. He said there at there end of there life lol
Old 04-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by capetaco12 View Post
If i ever get time off i could help you with them. One thing if you need just pads thats really really easy. IDk if you have stuck calipers or what not. If you need to change them i would recomend going with the NAPA ones. They are high quality and last longer than the factory toyota remaned ones.
Ok great. Thanks for the infor. I think I would just need pads. If your ever off wok just pm me. I'm free every weekend . I work m to f.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
hellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
hellrazor004's Tacoma Gallery
23k on the truck and you already need brakes?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrazor004 View Post
23k on the truck and you already need brakes?
x2

I'm just replacing my pads and rotors at a little over 65k miles

I'm gone a lot of weekends now looking at wedding venues, I just helped AJ throw a set on the other weekend, you just missed out!

FWIW, you can buy brand new rotors for a tiny bit more than it costs to have the old rotors turned. That being said, I personally don't see the point in having them turned. Also, Autozone sells a lifetime warranty on their brake pads. If you're running through them every 25k miles, this would be very worthwhile for you.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
x2

I'm just replacing my pads and rotors at a little over 65k miles

I'm gone a lot of weekends now looking at wedding venues, I just helped AJ throw a set on the other weekend, you just missed out!

FWIW, you can buy brand new rotors for a tiny bit more than it costs to have the old rotors turned. That being said, I personally don't see the point in having them turned. Also, Autozone sells a lifetime warranty on their brake pads. If you're running through them every 25k miles, this would be very worthwhile for you.
Yeah I was thinking of just buying the rotors too so everything is brand new. Idk why there shot already when I don't use the breaks all that much but oh we'll. I saw that you did ajs and I was gonna pm you but didn't cause i thought you were gonna be busy with work and such and didn't wanna bother you. I could maybe go three more weeks on my brakes but that's it. There really getting low. Just thought I could save a few having a tw member do them and I could learn as well. No way I'm giving the stealership 1,200 for brakes.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidenhardcore View Post
Yeah I was thinking of just buying the rotors too so everything is brand new. Idk why there shot already when I don't use the breaks all that much but oh we'll. I saw that you did ajs and I was gonna pm you but didn't cause i thought you were gonna be busy with work and such and didn't wanna bother you. I could maybe go three more weeks on my brakes but that's it. There really getting low. Just thought I could save a few having a tw member do them and I could learn as well. No way I'm giving the stealership 1,200 for brakes.
Are the brakes pulsing? I can't imagine you'd need new rotors at 23k miles. AJ's looked fine and he was over 40k miles, just gotta make sure they're not warped.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
hellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
hellrazor004's Tacoma Gallery
I'll do them for half the stealership price
Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
Quote:
Are the brakes pulsing? I can't imagine you'd need new rotors at 23k miles. AJ's looked fine and he was over 40k miles, just gotta make sure they're not warped.
Yeah kind of. Rob checked them out and they said they were really worn in the front. A couple of days ago I almost hit a guy cause i had to slam my brakes to the floor just to stop. so they have to be worm. Im feeling i have to push down on the pedal more to brake.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrazor004 View Post
I'll do them for half the stealership price
You will lol. The stealer wants 1,200 so that would be 600 haha. Thats alittle to steep for me. I wanna learn how to do it so next time i can do it.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidenhardcore View Post
Yeah kind of. Rob checked them out and they said they were really worn in the front. A couple of days ago I almost hit a guy cause i had to slam my brakes to the floor just to stop. so they have to be worm. Im feeling i have to push down on the pedal more to brake.
Just for your information, worn pads/rotors and having to push the pedal down further to stop aren't always necessarily related. If you have a soft pedal, sometimes a simple brake bleed can solve the problem.

In your case though, if Rob looked at the pads and noticed they were shot, then get them replaced. Just because you burned through the pads quickly also doesn't necessarily mean you need new rotors either. If you have nice, even wear on the rotors, there's plenty of material left (run your fingernail across the rotor face and off the outter edge of the rotor and see how much of a lip you feel) and no warping, I'd save the money and keep the same ones, especially if you buy the lifetime warrantied pads. Just my $0.02.

Rob, I'll do it for $500.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
Quote:
Just for your information, worn pads/rotors and having to push the pedal down further to stop aren't always necessarily related. If you have a soft pedal, sometimes a simple brake bleed can solve the problem.

In your case though, if Rob looked at the pads and noticed they were shot, then get them replaced. Just because you burned through the pads quickly also doesn't necessarily mean you need new rotors either. If you have nice, even wear on the rotors, there's plenty of material left (run your fingernail across the rotor face and off the outter edge of the rotor and see how much of a lip you feel) and no warping, I'd save the money and keep the same ones, especially if you buy the lifetime warrantied pads. Just my $0.02.

Rob, I'll do it for $500.
Oh ok. I see now. Thanks for the infor guys. I learn something new everyday on here. Ill have to look at them and see. If I don't need them then maybe i wont buy them. Saving money is good but will check.

Im a college student guys, Cant I get a discount for being in school, and maybe a 10% tacoma world discount too haha.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
SUPERCHARGED!!!
gusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Greg
gusher's Tacoma Gallery
I'm also confused on the need for brakes at 23K??? I just did mine at 60K and I tow often. Do you tow or is this just general driving? It's a piece of cake to do the swap...left side took me about 30 minutes and the right about 15...ya learn a lot as you go.

I'd be willing to help as well. Where in Mass are ya??? I also offer up my garage and tools if you wanna do them at my place. Air tools, heated garage (although we probably don't need that anymore) and a good creeper. Lemme know!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusher View Post
I'm also confused on the need for brakes at 23K??? I just did mine at 60K and I tow often. Do you tow or is this just general driving? It's a piece of cake to do the swap...left side took me about 30 minutes and the right about 15...ya learn a lot as you go.

I'd be willing to help as well. Where in Mass are ya??? I also offer up my garage and tools if you wanna do them at my place. Air tools, heated garage (although we probably don't need that anymore) and a good creeper. Lemme know!
Hey, Thanks dude for the help. Yes brakes at 23k. I do offroad. I have towed my boat twice last summer for 1 hour each, thats all. I do sometimes have my atv in the bed too but thats all. Im wondering the same thing having to change them so soon. Idk but they do need changing. I live in roslindale, right outside boston. I might have a tw member helping me out, (Bostonbilly) but If that backs out ill pm you. Thanks
Old 04-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #19
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Miguel just checkin in to see if you came up with the parts for Mon. I am not pushin you but if you cant do it I will make other plans. Like we talked about I would get the pads and rotors so you are ready for whatever we need. Also pick up brake clean (2 cans). If we have time we can clean and adjust the rears which will help bring the pedal up as well
Old 04-16-2012, 05:05 AM   #20
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
I got your pm thanks like I said just let me know when you can do them and I will check to see if I am around