1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help Doing My Brakes( In Mass)

Discussion in 'North East' started by aidenhardcore, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Apr 12, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    aidenhardcore

aidenhardcore [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    None yet but soon all black.
    Hey guys, Its time to do my brakes. I almost hit someone last night cause I have like no pad left lol. Since I have no idea how to do them, I was thinking if there were any Tw guys that wouldnt mind helping me out and show me how to do them. Please. That would be great and would save me tons of money . I'll even buy you lunch or give you some money for helping me. Anything is better then going to the stealership lol. Thanks guys.

2. Apr 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    aidenhardcore

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    Bump. Amyone

3. Apr 12, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
  4. Apr 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    aidenhardcore

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    I have only 23k on the truck lol. Wearing out super fast. Truck is a 2010 too. I might not need new rotors but I might just buy them so everything is new.

5. Apr 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    Sold: 33's,armor,crawler,dents, ect. 2020 Gladiator
    OME lift CBI sliders, front bumper homemade rear bumper 33x12.50 m/t Gears Aussie locker inchworm crawlbox Homemade flat belly
    If i ever get time off i could help you with them. One thing if you need just pads thats really really easy. IDk if you have stuck calipers or what not. If you need to change them i would recomend going with the NAPA ones. They are high quality and last longer than the factory toyota remaned ones.;)

6. Apr 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    aidenhardcore

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    Rob from tw looked at them and said they needed replacing soon. He said there at there end of there life lol

7. Apr 12, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    aidenhardcore

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    Ok great. Thanks for the infor. I think I would just need pads. If your ever off wok just pm me. I'm free every weekend . I work m to f.

8. Apr 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    hellrazor004

hellrazor004 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    23k on the truck and you already need brakes?

9. Apr 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2 :eek:

I'm just replacing my pads and rotors at a little over 65k miles :D

I'm gone a lot of weekends now looking at wedding venues, I just helped AJ throw a set on the other weekend, you just missed out!

FWIW, you can buy brand new rotors for a tiny bit more than it costs to have the old rotors turned. That being said, I personally don't see the point in having them turned. Also, Autozone sells a lifetime warranty on their brake pads. If you're running through them every 25k miles, this would be very worthwhile for you.

10. Apr 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    aidenhardcore

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    Yeah I was thinking of just buying the rotors too so everything is brand new. Idk why there shot already when I don't use the breaks all that much but oh we'll. I saw that you did ajs and I was gonna pm you but didn't cause i thought you were gonna be busy with work and such and didn't wanna bother you. I could maybe go three more weeks on my brakes but that's it. There really getting low. Just thought I could save a few having a tw member do them and I could learn as well. No way I'm giving the stealership 1,200 for brakes.

11. Apr 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Are the brakes pulsing? I can't imagine you'd need new rotors at 23k miles. AJ's looked fine and he was over 40k miles, just gotta make sure they're not warped.

12. Apr 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM
    hellrazor004

hellrazor004 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    I'll do them for half the stealership price :)

13. Apr 12, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    aidenhardcore

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    Yeah kind of. Rob checked them out and they said they were really worn in the front. A couple of days ago I almost hit a guy cause i had to slam my brakes to the floor just to stop. so they have to be worm. Im feeling i have to push down on the pedal more to brake.

14. Apr 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    aidenhardcore

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    You will lol. The stealer wants 1,200 so that would be 600 haha. Thats alittle to steep for me:D. I wanna learn how to do it so next time i can do it.

15. Apr 12, 2012 at 3:36 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Just for your information, worn pads/rotors and having to push the pedal down further to stop aren't always necessarily related. If you have a soft pedal, sometimes a simple brake bleed can solve the problem.

In your case though, if Rob looked at the pads and noticed they were shot, then get them replaced. Just because you burned through the pads quickly also doesn't necessarily mean you need new rotors either. If you have nice, even wear on the rotors, there's plenty of material left (run your fingernail across the rotor face and off the outter edge of the rotor and see how much of a lip you feel) and no warping, I'd save the money and keep the same ones, especially if you buy the lifetime warrantied pads. Just my $0.02.

Rob, I'll do it for $500. :D

16. Apr 12, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    aidenhardcore

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    Oh ok. I see now. Thanks for the infor guys. I learn something new everyday on here. Ill have to look at them and see. If I don't need them then maybe i wont buy them. Saving money is good but will check.

Im a college student guys, Cant I get a discount for being in school, and maybe a 10% tacoma world discount too haha.:D:D

17. Apr 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    gusher

gusher SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 long bed, TRD Sport
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    I'm also confused on the need for brakes at 23K??? I just did mine at 60K and I tow often. Do you tow or is this just general driving? It's a piece of cake to do the swap...left side took me about 30 minutes and the right about 15...ya learn a lot as you go.

I'd be willing to help as well. Where in Mass are ya??? I also offer up my garage and tools if you wanna do them at my place. Air tools, heated garage (although we probably don't need that anymore) and a good creeper. Lemme know!

18. Apr 12, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    aidenhardcore

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    Hey, Thanks dude for the help. Yes brakes at 23k. I do offroad. I have towed my boat twice last summer for 1 hour each, thats all. I do sometimes have my atv in the bed too but thats all. Im wondering the same thing having to change them so soon. Idk but they do need changing. I live in roslindale, right outside boston. I might have a tw member helping me out, (Bostonbilly) but If that backs out ill pm you. Thanks

19. Apr 14, 2012 at 5:16 AM
    BostonBilly

BostonBilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easton
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
    Hey Miguel just checkin in to see if you came up with the parts for Mon. I am not pushin you but if you cant do it I will make other plans. Like we talked about I would get the pads and rotors so you are ready for whatever we need. Also pick up brake clean (2 cans). If we have time we can clean and adjust the rears which will help bring the pedal up as well

20. Apr 16, 2012 at 5:05 AM
    BostonBilly

BostonBilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easton
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
    I got your pm thanks like I said just let me know when you can do them and I will check to see if I am around

Products Discussed in

To Top