Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North East

Notices

Spare tire rims???

Old 12-01-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
jgerbodegrant is on a distinguished road

Name: Jonathan
jgerbodegrant's Tacoma Gallery
Spare tire rims???

So we went backpacking up in Pittsburg, NH last weekend. Got back to the truck to find that I had drove over a screw...just enough in the sidewall where I'll need a new tire. Either way....I threw the spare on and I love how the black looks on the truck.

This may or may not be a stupid question: I'm thinking about just buying 4 steel rims and mounting my current tires on them. I like the simplicity of it. Figured it would be pretty cheap. Who's with me?
Old 12-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
If you do go this route and have 16" rubber, give me a PM....I have an extra one of these sitting in the garage, '09 spare steel with BFG rubber,used once......still has the factory sticker on the wheel...

I am in Dover so a short ride also...
Old 12-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
I have thought about going steel, certainly easier and cheaper to refinish. There are several after market steel style available in 16 & 17" sizes but I was also thinking or replacing the corroded 17" stockers with 20". Haven't found any steel 20's. Black with a ss trim ring chrome lug nuts and center cap old school look.

Jim
Old 12-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #4

Yeah...I've got the 17" rims. Would like to stick to that...only because I'm trying not to have to buy new rubber. I have seen a bunch of guys paint their existing rims...but I don't think it's a good idea to go that route with alloys. I could of course have them powder coated matt black...
Old 12-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post
If you do go this route and have 16" rubber, give me a PM....I have an extra one of these sitting in the garage, '09 spare steel with BFG rubber,used once......still has the factory sticker on the wheel...

I am in Dover so a short ride also...
No kidding!? Sweet. I'm over off of Back River Road. Will the '09 wheel work on the 2012? I would assume so. Didn't check the specs.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Behind Garrison school for me .neighbors ....

The '09 is from a Second Gen truck,BUT still a 16" wheel........It was part of the tire package I purchased off another TW member....

My 1st Gen Alloys have been painted black...my son did it as a Fathers Day gift...these are collecting dust in my garage also with 4 worn Geo's on them....