Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North East

Notices

Salted Roads in New Hampshire

Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
StormTrooper
757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future

Coast Guard: BM3 - Station New Haven, CT
Name: Tyler
757 Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Salted Roads in New Hampshire

I just graduated cg basic and got orders to the Coast Guard Cutter Reliance, a 210' cutter based out of Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Im born and raised in SE Virginia and not really used to the effects of salted roads in the NE. How worried should I be about it? Im pretty good about getting under the truck and spraying it down just not sure if thats gonna cut it up there. Any advice?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
I have lived here for more than 40+ years and if you "keep up" with them,any vehicle will last...Car washes are a-plenty and you have a few GREAT ones over off from Islington Street....near the malls...

Yes , TOYOTA has been "Nailed" for frame rot BUT everything will turn to "Junk" if not protected...not just Yota's...ask my Jeep friends

Hell ,man you "Live & work" on the salt water...you don't take care of that boat...where you going ???

Welcome to TW and NH...just up the road in Dover...

Thank you for serving and protecting US.A.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
bmpskir will become famous soon enoughbmpskir will become famous soon enough

bmpskir's Tacoma Gallery
just wash it regularly and you will be fine... been in NE snow country my whole life and none of my stuff rusts when I own it... it is all about maintenance... welcome to the area! if you can park in a garage all the better!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
bmpskir will become famous soon enoughbmpskir will become famous soon enough

bmpskir's Tacoma Gallery
yeah - I always try to run it thru a wash after a storm - after the roads are clear and dry... get the salt off vs let it sit there... same idea as bird poop to me...
Old 01-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
jdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jon
jdkilroy's Tacoma Gallery
Lived in NH all my life: The most important part of washing in the winter is the underbody wash. If automatic, pick the cheapest with the underbody wash but you will be better served to show up with a handful of quarters and do it yourself.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you can coat your frame with a protectant before the rust starts, you will be better off. Otherwise, just keep up with car washes and touch up the frame when you to see rust start to form and you'll be good to go. That being said, the road salt will also work it's way into everything else, like the rear drums, it will cause some exposed bolts to rust in place so you just need to be mindful of that.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
for under the truck washing in winter time use one of these

Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
yes underwash alone should do it, and if in 4 years you still have the rig, inspect
for problem areas underneath (there should not be any flaking, just areas you
know have more rust than other areas) and then attack with the cleaning and
coating with por15 the rust-proofing goop for real....

FWIW...I have a 1999 4runner LTD I have owned since new in 98, kept in Maine, NH, and Mass, >200,000 miles,
and have absolutely -never washed it- and it's role was a snowbank smasher...so I have
packed more rust causing crud up in there and let it fester than most peeps....

and only now in 2013 do I worry about the pumpkin rust or frame rust. swaybar endlinks have come and gone,
I am on my 4th set of 4...rear shock tops rusted off twice now (it is a design feature of 4runners, the shock top
sits in a cup which holds water) My tow hitch bottom is rusted clean out, but the frame is OK, and axle and
pumpkin...well...it shows flaking now...time is getting near the end for this thing...but i beat the hell out of it

anyhow, this is with 14 years of abuse. you will be OK to simply hose it down...I never did
Old 02-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
NHGuy is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
NHGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757 Taco View Post
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm not quite as worried about it anymore. I'm super picky when it comes to cleaning the truck so I should be alright
First post...you've nothing to worry about if you take it through a car wash once a month or so. Once a month for my vehicles is the norm and I've lived in NH my whole life (I'm in my late 40s).

For reference - I just bought a 2013 Tacoma and just got rid of a 1991 Toyota Pickup (no models then). 22 years old with 244,000 miles on it and never garaged. The frame was still in great shape. Sure it showed signs of rust but guess what? I donated that and another vehicle (2001 SAAB 95 with 209,000 miles + brand new tires) to NHPR and at auction the SAAB didn't sell but my truck did, for $1250. You'll be fine!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
StormTrooper
757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future757 Taco has a brilliant future

Coast Guard: BM3 - Station New Haven, CT
Name: Tyler
757 Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHGuy View Post
First post...you've nothing to worry about if you take it through a car wash once a month or so. Once a month for my vehicles is the norm and I've lived in NH my whole life (I'm in my late 40s).

For reference - I just bought a 2013 Tacoma and just got rid of a 1991 Toyota Pickup (no models then). 22 years old with 244,000 miles on it and never garaged. The frame was still in great shape. Sure it showed signs of rust but guess what? I donated that and another vehicle (2001 SAAB 95 with 209,000 miles + brand new tires) to NHPR and at auction the SAAB didn't sell but my truck did, for $1250. You'll be fine!
Thanks for your help!