Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North East

Notices

Moving from GA to NY, have question

Old 05-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
slidingtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Corey
slidingtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Moving from GA to NY, have question

Hey guys, this is kind of a re-post, but I figured this was the better section after I posted the first one. My fiance and I are teeter-tottering on possibly moving to NY south of Buffalo. My truck is a static-dropped 4"-4" 2wd Tacoma with 5speed. Naturally, it has the stock open diff. I have enough of a hard time with traction up hills in rain here in GA. My question is: If we move to NY, would I benefit from keeping my truck and welding the diff for winter traction (and occasional drifting) up there, or should I consider selling my truck and getting a Subaru or something AWD? I can do the work myself, I was just curious if it would be worth it? I love my truck, and I hate the thought of getting rid of it
Old 05-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2010 regular cab. Mine is only 2 wheel and it was fine in the horrible winter we just had here.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
Stockmonester is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Stockmonester's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stockmonester
Really good snow tires all the way around and smart driving you'll be fine.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if the lowering will be a huge issue though..I had 3 50 pound sandbags ready to strap in the bed if needed but never had to.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Grumpy old man - get off my lawn
rleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant future
Name: Roger
rleete's Tacoma Gallery
Moving TO NY? You must be insane.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
^^that... You couldnt pay me enough to move there
Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
I've been to Albany several times. Living there wouldn't be bad. Plus NY knows how to take care of their snow.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidingtaco View Post
Hey guys, this is kind of a re-post, but I figured this was the better section after I posted the first one. My fiance and I are teeter-tottering on possibly moving to NY south of Buffalo. My truck is a static-dropped 4"-4" 2wd Tacoma with 5speed. Naturally, it has the stock open diff. I have enough of a hard time with traction up hills in rain here in GA. My question is: If we move to NY, would I benefit from keeping my truck and welding the diff for winter traction (and occasional drifting) up there, or should I consider selling my truck and getting a Subaru or something AWD? I can do the work myself, I was just curious if it would be worth it? I love my truck, and I hate the thought of getting rid of it
I lived in Albany for a couple of years (only because my wife was stationed there as a recruiter. My '08 is only a 2WD and it did fine. Drove to work in Schenectady every day during the heavy winter that happened then...They really, and I mean really, salt the hell out of the roads and all. I took mine to one of those touchless car washes once a week. I hated it up there - could never get used to the cold. Hell, went to see the Blues fly on Jluy 4th and it was cold! Damn that weather!

But, otherwise, the truck did fine. Never got stuck or whatever. Just be prepared to do whatever it takes to keep the rust off the frame!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
what town you looking at moving to? I have family about 25 min or so south of buffalo. IMHO 4wd would be best. the area i know does have hills, and snow storms can be pretty bad. like 6 or 8” of snow over night. or when i was up back in jan they got about 10-12” of powder in 1 day. I had to have my truck in 4wd, even with the A/T tires. other wise i could hardly move.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica9000 View Post
I've been to Albany several times. Living there wouldn't be bad. Plus NY knows how to take care of their snow.
THIS! they will still be going to school with 2 or 3 feet of snow. it takes A LOT to close the schools and work.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
I lived in Albany for a couple of years (only because my wife was stationed there as a recruiter. My '08 is only a 2WD and it did fine. Drove to work in Schenectady every day during the heavy winter that happened then...They really, and I mean really, salt the hell out of the roads and all. I took mine to one of those touchless car washes once a week. I hated it up there - could never get used to the cold. Hell, went to see the Blues fly on Jluy 4th and it was cold! Damn that weather!

But, otherwise, the truck did fine. Never got stuck or whatever. Just be prepared to do whatever it takes to keep the rust off the frame!
OP, I'll tell you the same thing I said in your other thread, do not weld the differential. A locked rear end for traveling in the snow will make the truck handle worse. The tracking tire from an open differential will help keep the truck in line.

To you guys, there is a big difference between Albany's snow and Buffalo's lake effect snow. I grew up in Albany and it's nothing like what they get in western and northern NY. I had a 2wd Ranger from the time I was 16 until I was 21 and I went to college in way, way, way upstate NY where they get pounded with snow. New York does know how to handle their snow so, if you're smart, just wait for them to plow you out and you'll be all set with a 2wd pickup. Make sure you have good tires, put some weight in the bed and drive like you have no brakes.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
IT F!@#$%^& SNOWS in Buffalo.....

Moved the daughter out there for a (thankfully) short teaching gig and their weather changes on a heart-beat and NOT like New Englands...Feet compared to inches ...She went to school in Burlington ,VT and even their snows don't compare....Pugga nailed it with "Lake affect"...( dam it, did I agree with Pugga again )

OP, best bet find an FWD or AWD car and try to keep your p/u....
Old 05-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post

Moved the daughter out there for a (thankfully) short teaching gig and their weather changes on a heart-beat and NOT like New Englands...Feet compared to inches ...She went to school in Burlington ,VT and even their snows don't compare....Pugga nailed it with "Lake affect"...( dam it, did I agree with Pugga again )

yeah that area’s weather changes like every hour.

i know i went of for a wedding. i went up for like a week or so. and i know on a tuesday it was like 90* then that say(day of the out door wedding) it was like 58* and raining and windy as hell. they had to tie the tents down to trucks(like 3/4ton and 1ton) and they also tied them down to tractors and they still wanted to blow away.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockmonester View Post
Really good snow tires all the way around and smart driving you'll be fine.
I have 17" mustang GT rims. You think i can get 225/235/45/17 in snow tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Not sure if the lowering will be a huge issue though..I had 3 50 pound sandbags ready to strap in the bed if needed but never had to.
Hmmm... I dint think about that. I guess sand bags and tire chains would work decently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleete View Post
Moving TO NY? You must be insane.
My fiance is going to be coaching softball in Houghton starting in Aug. I know it sounds insane, but it just feels right, like we're supposed to be up there.

Quote:
How do you mean? Like quick to respond when they start to see a few flakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post

yah i thought about before we go maybe clear-coating the entire underneath of my truck several layers worth to pre-pare it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
what town you looking at moving to? I have family about 25 min or so south of buffalo. IMHO 4wd would be best. the area i know does have hills, and snow storms can be pretty bad. like 6 or 8” of snow over night. or when i was up back in jan they got about 10-12” of powder in 1 day. I had to have my truck in 4wd, even with the A/T tires. other wise i could hardly move.
We're thinking about either Avon or Mt. Morris area. My fiance is going to be coaching @ Houghton college, and I'm going to try to get a Service technician position closer to Rochester. We're trying to equal commute for both of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
OP, I'll tell you the same thing I said in your other thread, do not weld the differential. A locked rear end for traveling in the snow will make the truck handle worse. The tracking tire from an open differential will help keep the truck in line.

To you guys, there is a big difference between Albany's snow and Buffalo's lake effect snow. I grew up in Albany and it's nothing like what they get in western and northern NY. I had a 2wd Ranger from the time I was 16 until I was 21 and I went to college in way, way, way upstate NY where they get pounded with snow. New York does know how to handle their snow so, if you're smart, just wait for them to plow you out and you'll be all set with a 2wd pickup. Make sure you have good tires, put some weight in the bed and drive like you have no brakes.
I havent read the other thread yet, sorry. I'll check it out shortly. We were out of town this week.

Quote:

I talked to the fiance about getting a cheap 'beater" older subaru or something, but we'll honestly only be able to afford our 2 cars
Old 06-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Op, then find the "right amount" of ballast for that bed,definetly GOOD snow tires ( I think you can stud in NY still) and "Be Smart"...

Gut feelings are usually the BEST... I moved my Young family 1300 miles south on a Job Op and never looked back...Great 8 years of Florida living BUT " Home" does pull at you....
Old 06-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
Quote:
Op, then find the "right amount" of ballast for that bed,definetly GOOD snow tires ( I think you can stud in NY still) and "Be Smart"...

Gut feelings are usually the BEST... I moved my Young family 1300 miles south on a Job Op and never looked back...Great 8 years of Florida living BUT " Home" does pull at you....
I may just go with selling the truck and getting a Jeep or Subaru.
If it was between a Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee or a Subaru Forester, what would you recommend? I'm leaning towards Subaru because of the better fuel economy and "sport car" feel. I like low and stiff versus tall and sloshy, lol
Old 06-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #18

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Subaru hands down BUT then again I dispise JEEP ...
Old 06-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #19
What is NY like as far as Emissions and registering for tags (license plate)? For instance, In GA, only the counties directly surrounding Atlanta require Emissions. Right now I live on the line of an emissions county and non-emissions county. Of coarse the county I live in wants the extra money, So I have to get a "sniffer test" every year, and my tags are due on my bday
Old 06-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidingtaco View Post
How do you mean? Like quick to respond when they start to see a few flakes?
Not really sure how quick they are. More like streets are clear, even the sidewalks. As far as I know, they have more equipment to deal with it.