Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North East

Notices

Shamokin/Centralia, PA March 15th and 16th Wheeling and Camping

View Poll Results: What day are you wheeling?
Saturday March 15th 4 30.77%
Sunday March 16th 3 23.08%
Both and camping 7 53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Shamokin/Centralia, PA March 15th and 16th Wheeling and Camping

There was some discussion in the PA thread about doing some wheeling and camping the weekend of March 15th and 16th near Shamokin, PA. My youngest son had expressed interest in going to Centralia, so I figured I would head there early Saturday and do some wheeling and sight seeing, then head over to the Shamokin area to do a little more wheeling, then set up camp. We found a decent sized camp site last time we were there with fire pits. There is also a good, safe spot to shoot as well. So I made a poll to see who wanted to wheel Saturday, Sunday, or camp and do both.

Update 3/12/14
Ok, here are some times and locations. Meeting in the Cabelas parking lot, soon as you enter the main lot, pull in to the left in the back lot. Then leaving there by 830am to get to Centralia by 930am. We can hang there for a bit to round everyone up, then go explore the area for a bit. I imagine two hours is long enough to explore Centralia. Then The WhaleBack is about a thirty minute drive from there. I imagine we can meet up there about 12-1230. I will include addresses, intersections, and coordinates so whether you are using a gps or a paper map, you will be able to find where we are going.

8-830
Cabelas
100 Cabela Dr
Hamburg, PA 19526
40.557649 - 76.001930

930-10
Centralia
Park St and Rt 61(Locust Ave)
Centralia, PA 17920
298 Locust Ave
Aristes, PA 17920
40.802163 - 76.340558

12-1230
The Whaleback
Upper Patch Rd and Bear Valley Rd
Coal Township, PA 17866
40.768703 - 76.588453

Update 3/9/14
So now that we are less than a week away from this, I am pretty excited about wheeling n camping n shooting. My plans are to head out from my house about 8am and get to Cabelas in Hamburg to do a little shopping. I am looking to meet up with anyone there and leave Cabelas about 10am to head up to Centralia. For anyone not meeting at Cabelas and meeting in Centralia, the entrance to the destroyed Hwy 61 is a good spot to meet at probably at 11-1130am, just in time for lunch. Cook some hot dogs in the steam vents, then do some offroad exploring for a few hours. Then once we are good with Centralia, head over to The Whaleback near Shamokin. About what time we should meet up there, I don't know, I'm open to suggestions, but the entrance to the Whaleback ought to be a good spot to meet, then we'll go find the camp/squatter spot. The weather should be decent enough for all this, a little chilly overnight, but nothing fire won't take care of. Then come morning, we need to figure out when we would like to meet up with the non campers, same spot should be good, at the entrance to the whaleback. If anyone wants to exchange phone #'s, that would probably be helpful. OK, if anyone has input, please voice yourself. If anyone is as excited as I am, let it out. Woot
Old 02-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
money pit
zopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Zak
zopperman's Tacoma Gallery
FUN
Old 02-10-2014, 05:59 AM   #6
F*ck It, Why Not!
armyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 101st ABN
Name: Chip
armyofsquirrels's Tacoma Gallery
Made it!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #7
F*ck It, Why Not!
armyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmyofsquirrels is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 101st ABN
Name: Chip
armyofsquirrels's Tacoma Gallery
Tex I'll be meeting you at Centralia on Saturday text me the time and then camping and wheeling Sunday too. I'm on my phone so I can't vote ATM
Old 02-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #8
money pit
zopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyofsquirrels View Post
Tex I'll be meeting you at Centralia on Saturday text me the time
Ditto
Old 02-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
money pit

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
If ya wanted, we could meet at Cabelas in Hamburg, need to pick up some tannerite for later. Or meet at the abandoned road in the pic. Guess it all depends on how early everyone wants to be, you know me, I am an early riser.
I'd like to get some tannerite. I'll probably have to leave from philly so it's a haul for me
Old 02-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #12
money pit

EMS:
Quote:
Its about 45 min to Cabelas, then another hour to the abandoned road for me.
Will cabelas sell ammo to an NJ resident?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #14
money pit

EMS:
Quote:
I don't know that there are any restrictions on ammo purchases, I'm sure you could call them and find out. If they give you a problem, I'm sure a PA resident could help you out.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #15
clc clc is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
clc clc's Tacoma Gallery
You guys wheel the whole trail in Centralia or just the paved sections? I would be down for some shooting and camping regardless.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 AM   #17
gshadow325 is on a distinguished road
gshadow325's Tacoma Gallery
Long time reader, first time poster!

I wanna go! I cant make it saturday but would love to catch up sunday morning!

I been reading about this place and would love to go see it!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #19
gshadow325 is on a distinguished road
gshadow325's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey, welcome to the forum, and hell yeah, the more the merrier.
can I, i do drive a 4runner...kinda like a kissing cousin