1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DJ Services for Maryland/DC Area

Discussion in 'North East' started by Agent475, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Dec 1, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 [OP] "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I am DJ with JJ Music serving the Maryland and DC area (and willing to travel further). ​

We provide DJ services for:
    Clubs, Bars, Lounges, Private Parties, Karaoke events, Outdoor Concerts, Wedding Ceremonies/Receptions, Banquets, Birthday Parties, Anniversary Parties, Pool Parties, Backyard/Bar-B-Que Parties, and other events.​

The Music:
    We've got over 40,000 songs of every genre and update our music almost daily. ​

To Book:
    If you are interested in booking me for your event, please email us at BULLK9@gmail.com or 240-412-9852. Very reasonable rates and quick response to inquiries... Just be sure to include location/date/time/return contact info.​

Our Regular Venues:
    The Getaway Lounge - Waldorf, MD
    The Hideaway - Clinton, MD
    Madam's Organ - Adams Morgan, DC​

Some Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dec 3, 2009 at 1:16 PM
    Agent475

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I just wanted to update everyone... Here is the current schedule for where I'll be DJing. We have over 40,000 songs of every genre... Feel free to come out and party with us, it'd be a great spot for Maryland Taco Owners meets!

The Getaway Lounge, 2290 Old Washington Road, Waldorf, MD 20601 on the following days from 9 to close:

-Dec 4, 2009 (Friday)
    -Dec 12, 2009 (Saturday)
    -Dec 18, 2009 (Friday)
    -Jan 1, 2009 (Friday)

Daily specials include:
    -$1 Power Hour Any Draft from 5pm to 6pm
    -Buy one bottle of beer and get the 2nd for a penny!!
    -Appetizer specials from 4pm to 7pm
    -$5 Pizza, Cheesy Fries, Nachos, Burger Sliders, Onion rings
    -12pc wings for 6.99

Here is a look at some of the food they serve, I would recommend the wings (not pictured), the Gyro (not pictured), or the Cheesesteak (2nd pic below):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a disclaimer, the drink/food specials were obtained through their website and may change at any time. I am not responsible for any changes in their prices, but I'll tell you that the food and drinks are great either way!

I'll also possibly be DJing Dec 19, 2009 (Saturday) at:
    Delta Blues and Juke Joint, 2796 Old Washington Road, Waldorf, MD‎ 20601 I'll keep you posted if you are interested.

3. Dec 3, 2009 at 1:19 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    do you use software? (ie Serato or Torq) or vinyl?

4. Dec 3, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    Agent475

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport

It's all digital

5. Dec 3, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    311offroad

311offroad Stock Taco For Now

Member:
    Milledgeville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OffRoad SR5 4x4 Short Bed Debadged
    20% tint, Debadged, Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT, Infinity component door speakers, MagLite mod
    yea, what kinda decks do you use also?

6. Dec 3, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    Agent475

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    We only have a deck at one of the places we DJ (and I rarely DJ there so I am not sure what the brand is).

We have three full sets (and additional equipment) that we mix and match gear based on the gig. Some gigs get the 1000w Peavey speakers and a Peavey mixer with laptop... some gigs get the Berhinger Euro mixer with Peavey speakers...

Some places we DJ have sound systems that are integrated into the facility - so sometimes we use that.

It all depends on the gig, but we try to match the size of the location with the sound, along with what kind of function it is.

7. Dec 3, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    311offroad

Member:
    Milledgeville, GA
    Vehicle:
    20% tint, Debadged, Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT, Infinity component door speakers, MagLite mod
    haha ok..

why don't yal spin live decks? i mean anyone can hook a laptop up to a sound system. im not trying to disrespect ya or nothing, just don't understand if you're gonna be playing music as a profession why not have a little fun and learn to beatmatch and scratch.

but big ups if you're makin good money

8. Dec 4, 2009 at 7:28 AM
    Agent475

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Good question...

For several reasons:
    1) It's not just hooking up a laptop to a sound system. There is a lot you have to account for like sound/size of facility/etc. And like all DJs, you have to be able to read the crowd. If you don't keep people in the bars or at the party - the business loses money and you lose future gigs. I personally have left places I used to frequent because the DJ ended up playing just one type of music... like Regge. I just don't want to hear JUST regge all night.

We do have software that helps us blend songs in and out... And when it's a karaoke gig, and when you are talking about a bad karaoke singer, you have to be able to make them sound somewhat good by blending FX in... or when you have multiple singers, you have to be able to blend FX in on one - off on another (particulary when it's one person rapping and one singing - like a lot of Jay Z tracks).

2) It's not my business or equipment and I don't write the checks - so it really isn't my call. The owner has been in this business for 20-30 years and know's what he is doing - and I have faith in that.

3) That said, and I'm speaking from what I know - the market for that kind of music is much smaller than playing music and/or running karaoke. When was the last time you heard custom techno or custom hip-hop at a wedding?

4) Finding and hiring individuals to scratch/spin is much more difficult... making it more difficult to expand that kind of DJ business. And even if we had a pool of good candidates to select from, this area really isn't into that - UNLESS you are talking about the club scene in Washington DC like Love or Fur. BUT, most of the clubs have their close friends who spin work there... AND they often bring in well known or international DJs (George Acosta/DJ Teisto/Armin Van Burren...) I simply cannot compete with those guys at this point - they've been doing it too long.

5) We make good money doing it how we do it - without all that extra work. I'm doing anywhere from 4-6 gigs per month. By spinning something live and scratching - you limit yourself to clubs on Friday or Saturday nights... and MAYBE a Thursday College Night...

6) I already have a profession of 11+ years as a Federal Agent. This is just a fun side thing to do - where I make extra spending money. Being 29, married, and busy with everything else life has to offer (like my regular job) - I just cannot dedicate that kind of time to mix custom music.

Anyway, hope that helps you understand why JJ Music went the route it did... Holla if you have additional questions.

9. Dec 4, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
  10. Dec 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    311offroad

Member:
    Milledgeville, GA
    Vehicle:
    Im mainly talkin about the club scene, but I understand what you are saying and good luck with this hobby. I know Ive enjoyed it for many years and will continue doing shows around GA. Theres nothin like the feelin of 200+ people straight bout to tear the walls down because of your music haha

11. Dec 7, 2009 at 6:47 AM
    Agent475

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    There is NO DOUBT about getting people so pumped that you think thy are going to destroy something!!

Good luck to you sir!!

12. Dec 9, 2009 at 12:50 PM
    Agent475

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Don't forget - I'll be at The Getaway Lounge this Saturday!!! The are is supposed to get some snow, so if you come out - be safe and have fun using the 4x4 in the snow!

13. Dec 14, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    Agent475

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    UPDATE: You guys missed a GREAT party on Saturday night!!!

I'll be back at The Getaway Lounge again this Wednesday and this upcoming Friday, Dec 18th (9pm to close)... All you Marylander Taco Owners - feel free to stop by for drinks and great music!

Saturday, I'll be at Delta Blues - 9pm to close...

14. Dec 22, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    Rudbwoy7s

Rudbwoy7s Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab 4x4 sr5
    3" Revtek suspension lift, 17" Black and silver American Eagle Alloy wheels, 285/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, sockmonkey brake light cover, Maglight mod, Viper alarm, Smith & Wesson hitch receiver cover
    a dj that cant beatmatch and actually mix is not a dj! I tried the mobile dj thing for a minute and realized it wasnt for me. I'll stick to rockin crowds @ EDM shows across the state! And BTW - Serato is the best thing to happen in the dj world since the 1200. =)

15. Dec 22, 2009 at 7:52 AM
    Agent475

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport

Being a moblie DJ is still being a DJ...

16. Dec 22, 2009 at 8:26 AM
    Rudbwoy7s

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab 4x4 sr5
    3" Revtek suspension lift, 17" Black and silver American Eagle Alloy wheels, 285/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, sockmonkey brake light cover, Maglight mod, Viper alarm, Smith & Wesson hitch receiver cover
    yes, if the mobile dj can actually mix. otherwise he/she is a human jukebox simply pressing play.

17. Dec 22, 2009 at 8:29 AM
    Agent475

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport

LOL... Anyway...

18. Dec 22, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    Agent475

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    I am here to promote my services to this area... to get my name out there beyond what we've already done. I'm NOT here to get into a debate over the various types of DJing, whether you like Mobile DJing, or what you scratch, how great you can beatmatch... etc. Because I really don't care to be honest.

If you'd like to discuss DJing techniques and styles, we can talk about that at djforums.com. My userid there is BULLK9. There are also plenty of other people that would be happy to argue/debate/discuss DJing with you there.

P.S. I'll be DJing in Adams Morgan (Wash DC) in Jan. We've got 4 gigs lined up... I'll keep everyone posted.

19. Dec 22, 2009 at 9:35 AM
    Rudbwoy7s

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab 4x4 sr5
    sorry for hijacking your thread, hope your business does well. Personally, I'm not in it for the money.

20. Dec 22, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    elliott.estes

elliott.estes Well-Known Member

Member:
    sacramento
    Vehicle:
    07 Black DC TRD Sport
    In Dash Avic-D3 / Blacked out headlights / Satoshi Grille / OME 90000 Front Shocks/ OME n182 Rear Shocks / OME 885 Coils / AAL with TSB's / 10MM lift Enhancer Kit / Light Racing UCA's / BFG AT KO's (285x70x17's) / Procomp 7089 Rims
    I DJ as well here in Sacramento and I agree that Serato has made DJn so much easier because I do not have to carry around all those crates of vinyl :)

Products Discussed in

To Top