1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Attn: DC/MD/VA Area Taco Drivers (with 4WD)

Discussion in 'North East' started by Agent475, Feb 4, 2010.

?

Your interest in volunteering?

Poll closed Mar 21, 2010.
  1. I'm interested and I've called (I'm on the list)

9.5%
  2. I'm interested, but I haven't called and plan to.

19.0%
  3. I'm unable to helpout this round.

19.0%
  4. Do not live close enough to help, but wish I did.

47.6%
  5. Do not live close enough to help, not interested anyway.

4.8%
  6. Not interested.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Feb 5, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    If I had 4x4, I would help... :eek:

2. Feb 5, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...

some big fattys in the rear (minds out of the gutter now) at about 4 psi, and some pizza cutters up front and you're in business....snowmobile style :burnrubber:

3. Feb 5, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    dman597

dman597 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SPORT w/Tow
    6" Pro Comp Lift,295-75-R17,access rollup,Tint,front hitch,nfab step bars
    i want to help but to far south mabe if there was a need more northeastern near md / DE line.

4. Feb 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    So who covers you if you get in an accident? Personal insurance? Local/regional government agency? Can you imagine the passengers trying to sue you if you were volunteering?

Seems there's a lot of liability for this.

5. Feb 5, 2010 at 7:53 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    ^^^^that's why we don't drive ridgelines.

but on a more scerious note, it's a very good point. and while everyone receiving a ride i'm sure is extremely greatful, i'm sure it must be very nerve racking to be transported by a stranger, in trechorous conditions. i know i would be a little uneasy. so to all helping with the cause, though i know i don't need to say it, drive safe:turtleride:

6. Feb 5, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    This is really cool. Good luck guys!

7. Feb 5, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    Skylighter

Skylighter New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Severn, MD
    Vehicle:
    Honda Pilot
    I volunteered for 4WD service tonight at the Baltimore Washington Medical Center near Glen Burnie, MD.

I drove two nurses, one home and one to work. I started at about 8pm and got home about midnight. Most of the time was spent waiting.

The roads were bad, but I never felt like I was unsafe.

To answer the insurance question, it is under your personal insurance. If you wreck, it is your problem.

They said they will need volunteers the most between 4am and 8am Saturday morning. However, they suggested that they will need volunteers Saturday evening and Sunday as well.

You can call or just show up. Bring your drivers license, insurance card, and registration.

I was really happy I volunteered and recommend that all of you do it for your local hospitals. I will be returning tommorow.

Also, Anne Arundel county has a snow patrol service that helps elderly get their sidewalks cleared and to get them to medical appointments. They are also in need of drivers with or without shoveling. Unlike the hospitals, this volunteer service can earn you a free ticket to Disney parks.

Note: I drive a Honda Pilot, Ford Expedition and a Camaro SS. I just saw this thread on a Google search and thought I could offer valuable info.

Daniel Clark

8. Feb 6, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    shit's getting rough out there.....i stuck a yard stick in the snow on my deck, we're up to 25 inches!

made a morning run, took three people to inova fairfax. they were smart, two doctors and a nurse camped out at one of the doctor's houses so they could make it in one trip.

conditions were bad, there were not other vehicles out (except plows), but i was getting through the unplowed stuff. i'm running my nitto TGs at 22 psi.

then i took my neighbors to the vilinova game at the verizon center...way back from that was a little tougher. i even had to pull out a stuck plow. it was an f-250 with a blade and a sand spreader in the back....so don't get your hops up of seeing a plow anytime soon.

hospital said they'd need more drivers around 1:30, so i may be making some more runs. thinking about lowering the psi to 15...would that be beneficial/safe????

9. Feb 6, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    Skylighter

Skylighter New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Severn, MD
    Vehicle:
    Honda Pilot
    Tonight, the hospitals will be desperate for drivers. I am out, the Pilot can not handle snow over about 18". If you have a vehicle that sits high and has good tires, please consider volunteering. Call your friends and convince them as well.

10. Feb 7, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    Wish I knew about this earlier...we lost power on Friday night and got it back on Sunday morning. I'll hope to remember this thread. I am fairly close to the Shady Grove Hospital. How about some reports from y'all how made runs???
    BTW...great work, y'all did a good thing.

11. Feb 7, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    Tim A

Tim A Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Offroad 6 spd Double Cab
    Agent 475, how'd you do this weekend? The roads were f'd on Saturday and the major roads are at least passable today. Anyway, hope everything well for you and all those who volunteered:thumbsup:

12. Feb 7, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    dman597

dman597 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SPORT w/Tow
    6" Pro Comp Lift,295-75-R17,access rollup,Tint,front hitch,nfab step bars
    darn i will try this with elkton this tuesday i will help.

13. Feb 7, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    just got another call this evening. i'll be picking a Dr. up tomorow morning from her house and getting her to the hospital. the roads near me that haven't been plowed, are actually gettting worse with the refreezing overnight

14. Feb 8, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 [OP] "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Hey guys... Here are my total numbers for Sat and Sun:

Username: Agent475
    # Times Called: 4
    People Delivered: 6 Saturday, 6 Sunday

Saturday was wild... Roads were pretty bad. First runs had me returning 3 nurses from Southern Maryland Hospital Center to their homes. One in Clinton, MD and 2 in Bowie, MD... When I was dropping off the second nurse, her street was blocked by a few stuck cars and an accident. So, I had to reroute because she didn't want to walk 100 yards. Went around and had to go down this small unplowed street in Old Town Bowie. Almost got stuck, but kept rolling. After I dropped her off, when I was leaving the subdivision, I saw a stuck Avalanche... Pulled him and his wife out and dropped off my last nurse in Bowie.

Second run was to make a two person pick up... One in Bowie and one in Upper Marlboro. That was a cake run... but weather started to deteriorate. White outs, stuck plows, stuck vehicles. On this run, on way to Bowie, I pulled out a small hatch back stuck on 495... Then I told the little Asian guy to go home.

Last run for Saturday was a pick up local in Clinton. East side street that was partially plowed.

Sunday, on the first run, I dropped of 4 nurses in Clinton and Waldorf. On the way back, I was to pick up 3, but one cancelled.

So going to pick up the last 2 nurses in Ft. Washington, I encountered downed power lines and a tree blocking my route...That was was plowed. So I had to go around the non-plowed route. Leading up to the guy's house, I pulled over and motioned for the 2 nurses (husband and wife). They just stood there... So I decided to go a little further and 15 feet later I stopped rolling... It was amazing I made it that far. SO finally, the two nurses came out... the husband helped me dig - and we got the Taco out in about 30 min. followed by an uneventful and tired ride back to SoMD Hospital Center.

Saturday, I pulled out a total of 4 vehicles - Sunday, only 1.

After finishing up and heading home around noon (I was beat), I heard a ticking sound under my truck... I freaked thinking it was the tranny or bearings - so I took it to Scott at Mr. Tire in La Plata, MD. They weren't busy and hooked me up. Turned out to be a bend piece of metal rubbing against the drive shaft. :) Whew!! So I went ahead and got the 100,000 K mile service.

My tires (Destination A/Ts) did me well in the snow, ice, and water... Cannot complain.

Drove a total of 151 miles and met a lot of cool people...

15. Feb 8, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    agent 475, awesome job!

i belive after tonight, my total will be:
    6 people
    2 hospitals

i just dropped off two doctors at inova fairfax. and am scheduled to pick up one other this evening to bring him home. it's been a great experience, and has given me a great feeling, knowing that i have made a difference.

i'm pulling/digging vehicles out left and right. total pulled out with the towstrap is one plow, 3 trucks (two of them were lifted f-250s HAHA), and 4 cars. i lost count of how many i dug out.

the roads in my area still blow. there are about 100 houses in my neighbor hood, i figure abotu 300 people...and there is only one set of tire tracks out of the neighborhood...mine. so i called the two hospitals near me and told them to keep me on the list as long as they needed.

16. Feb 10, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    We are in round two here. I am about ready to head up to Shady Grove to see if they need help. Anyone else making runs today?

17. Feb 10, 2010 at 10:21 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    haven't gotten a call yet, but they called me yesterday and asked if i would like to be put on the permanent driver list, so i'll be waiting

18. Feb 10, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    Colin, is that from Shady Grove or other hospitals?

19. Feb 10, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    inova fairfax, and capital hospice in arlington. i'vew made runs for both, but the hospice was the one that asked if i would like to be permanently listed for them.

20. Feb 12, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 [OP] "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Well, it looks like Colin17b is our free t-shirt winner... I don't see any other posts with a count, so great job!! Colin - send me your address and t-shirt size via PM.

P.S. The free t-shirt will vary based on what I have coming in.

Products Discussed in

To Top