Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Idaho people help me out

Old 07-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Idaho people help me out

I'm doing some work on site for a client in Boise.

In the past, I've rented a Pathfinder (only yota I can get is a RAV4 ) and I've tooled around on the road between Idaho City and Horshoe Bend on Centerville road. I've been to the top of Table Rock to look at the cross, stretched my legs at Bogus Basin ski area, and also tooled through Shaw Mountain Road.

Did anyone know of anywhere else that's good to check out? I like some mild 4x4 where I don't have to worry about being mean to the rental vehicle, but still have a bit of fun.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I lived in Mt home for a little over a year and all the land around there is open range. you can just hit up any of the trails you see. there is a place called the gravel pits right outside the air fore base. there is CJ strike resivor that has some trails out there too
Old 07-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the info, I'm continually impressed at how accessible Idaho is. In Oregon, most trails are hard to find, well-kept secrets. In Idaho, the GPS actually suggests a dirt road 75% of the time! Love it!
Old 07-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

haha yea, I was going to the air port and the gps kept telling me to take next left...well that left was a dirt road out into the middle of nowhere
Old 07-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
Nuggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
I lived in Mt home for a little over a year and all the land around there is open range. you can just hit up any of the trails you see. there is a place called the gravel pits right outside the air fore base. there is CJ strike resivor that has some trails out there too
Eh only managed to get a subaru outback this time. Went out to Gravel Pit, found an awesome hill, but the moon dust was too much for the onroad tires... and the little subie didn't have the clearance. I wasn't going to get stuck by myself, so had to turn back. Only saw some basic stuff Got to the end of Gravel Pit and found some nameless road that led up to a bluff. Pretty good little trail, made it more interesting that I had jack for clearance. Saw a big black pit - looked like BBQ charcoal. Didn't feel like driving down into it. Got back on the road, drove 300 feet and saw a big sign that where I was driving was some sort of restricted, monitored area. Oops

Plugged in the GPS and started heading home. GPS wanted to take me on some dirt road along Ditto Creek road (hmm, sounds good!). got about 4 miles down, encountered a big "ELK LODGE - NO HUNTING NO TRESSPASSING" sign . turned off to another road, same thing. Wish I knew 4 miles ago!

Got back in town, did a quick vehicle wash, and discovered I killed about a billion grasshoppers! eugh!

hopefully more adventures later this week. thanks again!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #6

haha cool. Im glad you at least found the place I was talking about. Yea I guess ground clearance would have been a factor out there, lots of hills. I always saw dirt bike guys out there.

if your down for some fast gravel road driving, drifting I know decent place. Hot creek road and hot springs road, highway 84 through mountain home, exit sun valley hwy 20 (head towards the truck stops) as soon as you are out of town there is a road to your right, hot creek, turns into a gravel road and goes for a pretty good ways, its fun to drive fast on. it runs into hot springs and that will take you back to hwy 20. once your on 20 you can take that up into the mountains and boise National forrest. Im not sure exactly where it was but once I got a little ways up there, there was a trail that went to the right, kinda a hard right. down a windy trail through trees and eventually opend up into a great view with a stream below.
I got boread a lot out there and went exploring whenever I could.
heres a map of hwy 20 and you can see the trails that break off of it. click my pic and you can make it bigger
Old 07-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
Head out north of town toward Cascade (hwy 55).. on the way it'll turn from high desert to mountain terrain with loads of logging roads. Then just... pick one. On the way you'll find the sweetest crystal clear river alongside the road. As a former Oregonian who moved to Idaho, be real careful- you can get hooked.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
Nuggety

Did some stuff on Grimes Creek area... left at 7:00pm for a quick drive, didn't get back until 10:30