Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Fishing in Montana

Old 10-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Fishing in Montana

Okay, I need some advice from the Montana folks. My future father-in-law Tom has decided he would like to take a fishing trip out west next summer. I've been "graced" with being able to choose where we go. I've never been to Montana, but would like to go and check it out. I'm from the south and do some fly fishing, mainly for bass and panfish. Never been fly fishing for trout. I don't think Tom has ever done much fly fishing. He's from Wisconsin and has done plenty of fishing for crappie, walleye, and muskie. He's got an old V hull alumacraft we could take if needed. I'm curious if there are any areas of Montana that offer a mixture of river and lake fishing. That way we could do some fly fishing, but if it didn't work out very well, we could still have the option of fishing on a lake. I'm open to any recommendations (or let me know if this combo doesn't really exist in MT).

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
SUPER-ER MOD
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Here's what you do...take a map of MT, tape it to a wall, throw darts at the map, where they land will be good fishing...

Basically all of MT has great fishing, sometimes it depends on the time of year but I don't think you'll be disappointed - late June and early July are good, as are September and October if the weather holds out. Southwest MT is probably your best bet. Look into the Big Hole River and Wise River, Yellowstone River (best between Livingston and Gardiner), and the area around the Missouri Headwaters - convergence of the Jefferson, Madison and Gallatin Rivers. And as long as you're out here I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to fish in Yellowstone National Park, it does require an additional permit and is C&R only. Just outside of Yellowstone is Hebgen Lake and Quake Lake, good if you bring the boat and there's a small stretch of river between the two that has some monster fish. Most areas are equally as friendly to flyfishing as they are bait and lure.

Are you going to be on your own or will you be looking into guides to take you places? Day trips only? Or do you plan on some over-nighters? Bringing the Taco? I know of some high mountain lakes but they take a bit to get into.

Stop by the Montana Taco thread too if you don't get many responses here...we won't yell at you for thread crashing!...just not sure how many people visit the regional area regularly.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
Wet or Dry Fly Fishing is Great. Some Great lakes would be Holter, Lake Francis, Tiber, Flat Head, Fort Peck. You name it and all the fishing you want. Greatest river fishing in the USA.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Yosh is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Yosh's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard Holter Lake is good, but I don't really fish.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Lisa set you up pretty solid there, Yellowstone would be great. Good fishing and you will see an abundance of wildlife. I don't get into the regional often, shoot me a PM or drop in the MT thread and I can give you somer specific recommendations on of these days. I'm too long winded to type out that much on my phone haha
Old 10-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys (and gal) for the help. I'm going to start looking into the areas mentioned. I think I'll be bringing my Taco, but not 100% sure yet. The boat will be towed by a 4wd ranger and I'm only 2wd. I don't know how easily we could get up to some of the remote areas Lisa mentioned (probably not take the boat I would guess). We might hire a guide but we're really in the early stages of planning. So far I'm the only one doing any of it.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
Bobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobcat's Tacoma Gallery
Ennis lake and the beginning of the Madison River. Pretty sure the river has some of the best fishing on this side of Shanghi. From that location you can pick tons of other spots in less than an hour drive if you get board.