Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Need new rear axle seal ASAP

Old 12-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
Need new rear axle seal ASAP

Hey guys,
Well my driver's-side rear axle seal is done for. I took it to Les Schwab to have them check it out, only to find out that they don't have the correct pullers/presses to get the collar off the axle.

Toyota of Kirkland quoted me ~$250, which is a bit steep, but I'd probably pay it.

Anyone know of a good, independent shop in the Kirkland/Bothell/Bellevue area that does rear axle seals?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
Hey guys,
Well my driver's-side rear axle seal is done for. I took it to Les Schwab to have them check it out, only to find out that they don't have the correct pullers/presses to get the collar off the axle.

Toyota of Kirkland quoted me ~$250, which is a bit steep, but I'd probably pay it.

Anyone know of a good, independent shop in the Kirkland/Bothell/Bellevue area that does rear axle seals?

Thanks!
Call Firestone in Woodinville. A few years ago I was replacing seals on a rear axle and that specific Firestone was the only one in the area that had the right press to change it for me.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
thanks man, i ended up just taking it to toyota of kirkland. took the tech 8 hours to do the job (which means it was easily out of my shade-tree mechanical ability). total cost -- for inner and outer axle seal, wheel bearing, abs collar, and new shoes: $650.

*sigh* it's just money, right?