Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Northwest Oregon Scheduled Meet Calendar

Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #1801
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Okay Mike. Put me down for Saturday. Im gonna be driving in Saturday morning. For trails.

Green, Blue, 1 star black depending on what it is.

You can call me a kitten all you want. I'm more scared about the wife then I am of you guys!
Sounds like a good wife
Old 04-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #1802
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Okay Mike. Put me down for Saturday. Im gonna be driving in Saturday morning. For trails.

Green, Blue, 1 star black depending on what it is.

You can call me a kitten all you want. I'm more scared about the wife then I am of you guys!
That's about standard difficulty acceptance around here
Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #1803
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
That's about standard difficulty acceptance around here
Says the "chicken".
Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #1805
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Double-Ds?
Idk where this convo is headed, but I like it!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #1806
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgod06 View Post
Idk where this convo is headed, but I like it!
k im in
Old 04-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #1807
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Double-Ds?
Allegedly...

Steven coming out?
Old 04-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #1808
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

X2 on Steve. That man after a few beers is entertainment for the night lol
Old 04-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #1810
13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed
13Greysled's Tacoma Gallery
Im intrigued. If i can get the weekend off id like to come. Not sure how touph the trails are, but with my stock 4 banger and not a lot of experience, might need to ride with spmeone else.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #1811
UG legend wannabe

you have 4x4?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #1812
13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yep, just havent had a chamce to take her off road
Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #1813
UG legend wannabe

you "should" be ok. Been their a few times, mike knows best perhaps even jason. They'll chime in eventually.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #1814
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
There are stock friendly trails up there. Mitch has done it a few times when his truck was stock and if they hit up a trail that aren't stock friendly they have by-pass trails or you can always go around on the main road to meet them up at the end of the trail.

There are some great spotters going as well. Just let them know if you're not comfortable or need a spotter. You should be good to go.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #1815
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTacoma02 View Post
There are stock friendly trails up there. Mitch has done it a few times when his truck was stock and if they hit up a trail that aren't stock friendly they have by-pass trails or you can always go around on the main road to meet them up at the end of the trail.
This is true. I took my truck up there when it was fresh from the dealer, with bald street tires and did fine. These trucks are a lot more capable then I imagined
Old 04-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #1816
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Greysled View Post
Im intrigued. If i can get the weekend off id like to come. Not sure how touph the trails are, but with my stock 4 banger and not a lot of experience, might need to ride with spmeone else.
First, you are ALWAYS welcome to ride co-pilot. It can be really fun to ride as a group. As a bonus to you, you always know your truck is safe at camp. Another benefit is that you can talk to the driver to ask him what he is doing or why he's driving the way he is. I'm guessing you have no CB radio, so it can be awfully quiet on your first run! Lastly, TSF is an area where you can start off as passenger and we can always get back to camp and pick up your rig if you feel confident.

Second, matters of recovery:
I believe all tacos have at least a front tow loop, although it can fail in a hard pull. At the least, you would want something like this
Do you have the factory tow package? Without that, there is nowhere to hook onto the rear in case you have a problem.
I haven't made much fuss about such things in the past and I don't like being a hardass or a rule nerd. However, after a few incredibly tough recoveries from a few outings this winter, it's made me realize how crucial it is to have a baseline for recovery gear. It comes down to a matter of safety and how much of a liability you become to others. Although I can't keep anyone from driving, I will be looking and letting them know if I don't feel safe wheeling with them. At best, this can happen. At the end of the video, ask yourself, "now what?" If you have an answer that doesn't require pumping the puddle and getting some specialty towing gear, you are smarter than me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJGD3GptaB4

Now, let's talk trails.
In 2009, I took my truck out to TSF. This is the first truck I'd owned, the first 4x4 I'd ever driven, and the first new vehicle I've ever purchased. I had been on muddy trails and logging roads in the past, so I thought I was ready. I went with a very knowledgable group, and we hit a blue trail to 'get warmed up'. After that trail and a few more, I had made it unscathed, but my arms and hands hurt from how tense I was. I was physically exhausted by 1pm. I've come a long way since then, but I'm just letting you know, this isn't a trip through a 'really rocky road'. It's a bit more than that Again, I suffered no damage, so it can be done - you have to have the luck and the brass balls!

The veterans are getting videos and photos put up here, and you can determine which trails look best for you. I suggest writing down the ones you would like to do and we will try to get the run organized to hit those.
I'm putting up some videos tonight, but I wanted to show this video here to give you a summed up idea of difficulty levels and what the trails will be like.

The first part is a trail called Cedar Tree, which is marked blue for medium difficulty. The hardest parts will be narrow turns, which you can see at 1:00.
At 1:30, the video shows the upper portion of Firebreak 5. Depending on condition of the trail, the difficulty varies. It's a black (hard) trail, though this portion isn't too bad. At 2:00 is the midpoint of that trail, and you get an idea of what a black trail really is.
At 5:00, we get to another blue trail called Ample & Alluring, but I'd just about rate it a green trail. It's steep as hell, but there's nothing else to it.
The night run is a separate trail and it's too dark to really give you an idea of much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAmmTxBW1cI

Again, remember that I am more than happy to give you some coaching at the beginning of the day and we are all happy to coach you throughout the rest of the trip!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #1817
Thank you for the advice guys. No tow package on my truck, just the sr5, looks like she could use some things added before taking her through some of those trails. Mainly recovery gear and better tires.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #1818
Nuggety

I still encourage you to come out and ride along and eat food! You can check out what the guys are packing and get ideas for what you want to get, too!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #1819
UG legend wannabe

And to add to mikes post... Drink beer and eat steak! Lol
Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #1820
Nuggety

Speaking of which, I corrected James' title.