Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Sierra Club is looking into Reiter Foothills and DNR

Old 01-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Sierra Club is looking into Reiter Foothills and DNR

Found this in a round about way... There are embedded links in the email that take you to a member login that I've disabled.

Quote:

Dear xxxxxxxxx,
Wow. Did you know that if you build an off-road vehicle park in the middle of a state forest, it won't make an environmental impact?

Sounds crazy, I know. But the state Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is saying just that. They are trying to argue that the state can build a park for off-road vehicles in the middle of Reiter Foothills State Forest without having to study the project first to learn how it will affect the wildlife in the area.

Tell the Department of Natural Resources that they must study the potential impact of these trails on wildlife. We only have until Monday to make our voices heard!

The Reiter Foothills State Forest sits on the Skykomish River, at the foot of Mt Baker. It is beloved by hikers and other outdoors enthusiasts. The DNR is exploring the possibility of building additional trails for use by off-road vehicles. However, without properly studying the potential impact of these trails, we have no way of anticipating and preventing harm to the forests waterways and wildlife.

Fortunately, we have a chance to tell DNR that motorized trails significantly damage forests, and must be closely regulated. We must not let DNR set a precedent that would excuse them from evaluating the environmental impact of the motorized trails in our state!

Join us in submitting your own comments to the Department of Natural Resources! The period for public comments ends on Monday, so please submit yours now.

Together we can be watchdogs, ensuring that our state agencies do their job right to protect our forests.

Thank you for all that you do for the environment.

Sincerely,

Graham Taylor
Sierra Club
P.S. We need as many people as possible to contact Governor Gregoire about this issue. Please forward this to your friends and family.

People say that since I preach Tread Lightly that I'm a tree hugger... Not really, I do have respect for the lands and I also enjoy them. What I do not like is the ammo that the irresponsible give the Sierra Club to effectively close down OHV areas.

Most public land is ours to enjoy but if it is abused with recklessness and ignorance we won't be able to enjoy what we like to do.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
BTW, here is what the Washington DNR has been up to with Reiter.

There is an Environmental Checklist that has been completed as per the LAW for this area.

Drafting a letter to Mr Graham Taylor tomorrow! I encourage everyone else to do the same!