1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying major appliances near Bellingham

Discussion in 'North West' started by fvtalon, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Apr 18, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    fvtalon

fvtalon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD/Yamaha
    285/65/18 BFG ATs on MKWs Leer Cap
    Hey guys, I know this isn't Tacoma related, but I'm hoping to tap the forum for some info. I need to buy all the major appliances (fridge, gas range, OTR microwave, dishwasher, upright freezer, washer & dryer) and I'm thinking about heading across the line to the Bellingham area if there's substantial savings to be had.

I've been surfing BestBuy and comparing it to Futureshop here for a baseline, some appliances are within $50 and others are like $800 more up here. Costco.com has a 4 piece kitchen suite on but BestBuy has the same 4 listed about $200 or $250 cheaper. I know you can get some good package deals and good service at small mom & pop type places but I don't know of any in that area. I'm not opposed to freight damaged or scratch and dent type places too.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any suggestions on a good place to shop and any good/bad appliance reviews don't hurt. I know you can save the sales tax, which I think is 8.7% (?) by shopping in Oregon but to drag the truck and trailer down there (10 hours roundtrip to Portland) is gonna suck up a bunch of fuel. As far as what I'm looking for it'll be nice but not real high end stuff, I think we want stainless, nicer stuff in the kitchen and just a basic washer dryer to save money, call it around a $5000 budget for everything. I've got 3 weeks 'til we move. TIA

2. Apr 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    A few tips:

Washer/dryer:
    -you might try getting used. craigslist is flooded with stuff
    -if you are getting front load, the optional pedestals are excellent if you can fit it. sometimes low cupboards won't allow for it. The reason to get them is not only for storage, but eliminates bending over

dishwasher:
    -try looking for the quiet models. having a dishwasher that makes almost no audible noise freaking rocks
    -measure to make sure it fits. Some older dishwashers came in funky sizes, so if you have to cut, plan for it.

Range:
    -if you have a drop-in now, start planning on cutting. Drop-ins don't exist anymore
    -make sure the width of the area is big enough for the new unit. old units are sometimes skinny
    -microwave can be same deal

In regards to stainless, expect to pay a premium. I suggest the faux stainless finishes, which tend to look more like a brushed aluminum. The benefits are that you don't get fingerprints and there isn't that premium fee.
    Another option is white. I say this because white never goes out of style, easy to match, and generally agreeable.

Products Discussed in

To Top