Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Heading to Central Oregon/Bend area for a week

Old 11-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Phlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Phlip4x4Sport's Tacoma Gallery
Heading to Central Oregon/Bend area for a week

Hi Everyone,

I am driving up from SoCal for a vacation and scouting for a possible move to the area. I am an ex-NorthEast guy so snow/ice is not an issue.
What is the area like?
What places should I see?
Is there anyplace to day trip and see snow yet for my 2 1/2 year old?

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip4x4Sport View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am driving up from SoCal for a vacation and scouting for a possible move to the area. I am an ex-NorthEast guy so snow/ice is not an issue.
What is the area like?
What places should I see?
Is there anyplace to day trip and see snow yet for my 2 1/2 year old?

Thanks!
Definately gotta check out crater lake. Worthy!! Its a day trip south of Bend. That is, if it isn't closed by snow. I was there in July 2010 and some of the road around it was still closed due to snow.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Phlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
Definately gotta check out crater lake. Worthy!! Its a day trip south of Bend. That is, if it isn't closed by snow. I was there in July 2010 and some of the road around it was still closed due to snow.
Thanks! It is on the checklist of things to do. Looks like the road to the edge is open but the road around the lake is already closed due to snow!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Mt. Bachelor, Mount Hood, In Bend the Descheuts (I know I spelt that wrong) brewery
Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
The huge lava tube and lavr cast forest just south of bend are pretty cool. You can drive up to mt bachelor west of bend for snow. Also if your in bend go peruse the old mill district.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Mt. Bachelor, Mount Hood, In Bend the Descheuts (I know I spelt that wrong) brewery

Sweet! Thanks. I have added the ski areas to the list and I found the
http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/locations/bend

Come on snow!!!! (They're not quite open yet)
Old 11-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgod06 View Post
The huge lava tube and lavr cast forest just south of bend are pretty cool. You can drive up to mt bachelor west of bend for snow. Also if your in bend go peruse the old mill district.

Nice! Adding the exploration of lava tube caves and the old mill district.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #9
Bump for more ideas... I am there for five days and have the ability to travel and get a hotel somewhere. What else is possible? Thanks!!!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
oregon trail museum, there's some museums on the john day fossil beds. Sunriver resort has stuff if you need resort-type stuff (horseback riding is probably good at this time).
Metolius river
Newberry crater, etc.
I'd imagine you could cross country ski or snowmobile the entire week if you wanted to, lol

One of the little-known places I love is the Kam Wah Chung building in John Day. Basically these two Chinese guys built a business near the turn of last century, which became a safe house and medicine shop. They eventually died and the building got boarded up, untouched for about 30 years. It got turned over to the historical society, and when they opened the door - the place was pristine, as if the Chinese men had only left for the weekend, not 30 years. Totally amazing guided tour, lasts about 1 hour. Make sure to check with the city to see if they are open for the winter.