Notices

Boise, Idaho trails

Old 12-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
IdahoNomad is on a distinguished road
Army: Psychological Operations
Name: Sean
IdahoNomad's Tacoma Gallery
Boise, Idaho trails

Just moved back to Boise, Idaho after a 5 year adventure with the US Army. Anyways looking for some trails in the Boise area. I did the Boise Ridge Road from Rocky Canyon to Bogus the other day and it was a lot of fun. Anyone have any other recommendations? I've heard of trails out in the Owyhees but have heard they can be a bit difficult, I also dont have anyone to go with so would rather keep it simple and safe. I drive a 2010 DC TRD Off Road bone stock and am looking for something on the easier side. Any suggestions?
Old 12-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I lived in mountain home for a year and a half and I would take the truck out every weekend. That's one of my favorite things about Idaho, open ranges!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Might look and ask in here, might find something your looking for
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...bs-thread.html
that thread sucks ass, nothing cool in there

welcome back to boise! i just sold the 2wd and got a 4x4 so im also trying to find trails locally. i just talked to a guy i work with that off roads a lot, he had a built 4runner, now he has a 92 pre taco, but he was talking about 2 really fun trails off of bogus road, both on the right hand side. the ridge trail you did might be one of the ones he was talking about. i still have to find them, but he said one was around the 5000 ft mark, and one was up right after the tree line starts i believe. he said they were pretty fun and technical. he described them as " they dont look like something a truck should be on" and "lets just say its not something you would take your subaru outback down". also there is 8th street that gets pretty technical once you get further back, but i believe that is getting closed soon. idaho city is also another place to check out.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoNomad View Post
Just moved back to Boise, Idaho after a 5 year adventure with the US Army. Anyways looking for some trails in the Boise area. I did the Boise Ridge Road from Rocky Canyon to Bogus the other day and it was a lot of fun. Anyone have any other recommendations? I've heard of trails out in the Owyhees but have heard they can be a bit difficult, I also dont have anyone to go with so would rather keep it simple and safe. I drive a 2010 DC TRD Off Road bone stock and am looking for something on the easier side. Any suggestions?
I was digging through my map collection the other day and found a great little book entitled "Idaho Byways". It contains quite a number of "scenic" drives, appropriate for a mostly stock vehicle with many of the drives being off-pavement.

I just googled it and was surprised to find it is still in print. Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Idaho-Byways-B.../dp/1889329010
Old 01-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
birdhuntintacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
birdhuntintacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Is that Boise Ridge Road mellow enough for a beginner off-roader to go by his self? I always want to go out but hesitant without another truck/buddy.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
never go alone man
Old 01-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
birdhuntintacoma, I've done the Ridge Road by myself in better conditions, but I would definitely not suggest it now, with all the recent snow its gotten. I've been on it in years past with friends who had full size rigs and 36" super swampers and we almost got stuck. Another place that has some easy trails is the Owyhees but they also might be snowed in by this point.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhuntintacoma View Post
Is that Boise Ridge Road mellow enough for a beginner off-roader to go by his self? I always want to go out but hesitant without another truck/buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoNomad View Post
birdhuntintacoma, I've done the Ridge Road by myself in better conditions, but I would definitely not suggest it now, with all the recent snow its gotten. I've been on it in years past with friends who had full size rigs and 36" super swampers and we almost got stuck. Another place that has some easy trails is the Owyhees but they also might be snowed in by this point.
The upper section of trails (where boise ridge road is at) has alot of snow on them and i would not try them without good tires, aired down, and a friend with a nice long recovery strap.
Attached Thumbnails
Boise, Idaho trails-picture2.jpg   Boise, Idaho trails-picture1.jpg  
Old 01-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

how do you know?
Old 01-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yea, even when you bring all your gear and a your friends and another truck, you can get yourself in a tough spot. ask me how i know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
how do you know?
Both vehicles require similar levels of capable tires and off-roading experience. And in many circumstances, tow/yank straps are not adequate to the task. If either one of you had had a winch, you would not have gotten into the trouble you had.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #11

I had very little trouble actually. however, I'm putting a lift on this coming weekend and will have a winch as soon as my bumper shows up.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
enigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud of
Air Force: Medic
Name: Nate
enigmadsm's Tacoma Gallery
hey gents, my first post on here. I'm on t4r.org quite a bit mainly because i have a 4runner lol. But A lot of people over there say that this site is more active especially when trying to organize a wheeling trip.

Anyways, I'd like to go out on some wheeling ventures as well. I have a decently set up rig, it could definitely use more stuff but so far its got 32s, rear locker, arb bumper and warn winch. OME lift.
my first off road rig, i used to go with my family all the time in jeeps when i was a kid. But for the past 8 years all I've done with cars is various motorsports. Never wheeling as a driver. So i'm pretty new to it.

OP or even anyone in the thread, if you plan on going out soon and don't mind a noob tagging along shoot me a pm or something! I'm down on base but don't mind going to boise. I went messing around on Bennett mountain this past weekend and on the oregon trail byway. But like the others, i was alone and inexperienced so didn't do anything difficult
Old 02-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
I'd be down for a drive soon, I leave the 28th of Feb for a 3 month hiking trip if anyone wants to try for a day trip before then.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Too bad you'll be gone in May... You could have convoyed with us down to Moab
Old 02-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
enigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud of
Welp, 8th street is closed right now. I didn't check out Ridge road because the snowline is pretty low right now and I was alone.

So we just drove down Shaw Mtn Road for a snow picnic. Had to get some poser pics while I was at it. Swaybars are all still attached. Also confirms my need for a rear bumper lol. I probably could have gone a little farther before one of the tires lifted off the ground, but I'm a noob so that's as far as I went.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Ill be in your neighborhood in a few months over the summer so some meets will happen
I'm thinking the Magruder Corridor in August.

C'mon Ben, you don't want me to do it all by myself do ya?

Quote:
That front bumper is badass. I love arb bumpers. A lot of locals yoy can find in the idaho bs thread, in the regional section threads on the site. Youll find more activity there for mod days wheeling, etc there. Ide link you directly to the thread if I wasnt on my phone.
Worthy links:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...bs-thread.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...-taco-202.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...2012-team.html
Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
Welp, 8th street is closed right now. I didn't check out Ridge road because the snowline is pretty low right now and I was alone.

So we just drove down Shaw Mtn Road for a snow picnic. Had to get some poser pics while I was at it. Swaybars are all still attached. Also confirms my need for a rear bumper lol. I probably could have gone a little farther before one of the tires lifted off the ground, but I'm a noob so that's as far as I went.

sweet man, welcome to the site from boise! Great looking 4runner! What base are you at? i learned 8th street was closed the hard way, drove up there all excited for a little trip only to find the gate locked. Im not sure about ridge road, not sure how much of the snow is melted but sure wouldnt try that without a friend and some good recovery gear, pretty sure there is still a good amount of snow up there. I haven't been boarding in a while so im not quite sure. Im going to be putting on a lift and getting new tires all within a month so i am going to need to go test them out. Im quite possibly more of a noob at this than you are so its good. I just found the link a few days ago to this place that i didnt even know existed.
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_d803.htm

i guess it says its closed for the season so im not really sure where else to go. hemingway butte? I know there is quite a bit of crawling at blacks creek but im not sure the range of difficulty and dont want to tear my truck up.

Quote:
Ill be in your neighborhood in a few months over the summer so some meets will happen
dam right they will
Old 02-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
sweet man, welcome to the site from boise! Great looking 4runner! What base are you at? i learned 8th street was closed the hard way, drove up there all excited for a little trip only to find the gate locked. Im not sure about ridge road, not sure how much of the snow is melted but sure wouldnt try that without a friend and some good recovery gear, pretty sure there is still a good amount of snow up there. I haven't been boarding in a while so im not quite sure. Im going to be putting on a lift and getting new tires all within a month so i am going to need to go test them out. Im quite possibly more of a noob at this than you are so its good. I just found the link a few days ago to this place that i didnt even know existed.
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_d803.htm

i guess it says its closed for the season so im not really sure where else to go. hemingway butte? I know there is quite a bit of crawling at blacks creek but im not sure the range of difficulty and dont want to tear my truck up.

dam right they will
Haha, thats how I found out as well. Drove all the way up to the gate. didn't want to go all the way back to mountain home so I went and explored a little on shaw mtn drive. The dirt road goes all the way back to ridge road. But even on that fairly smooth road the snow was getting pretty deep. Like i mentioned before I was the only rig out there so I just went ahead and turned back. Didn't want to risk getting stuck. A winch is nice to have and all but it can only help me so much.
Lemme know when you go test out your new stuff. There's always lost trail or w/e its called over by Murphy. Its got some snow right now i'm sure but apparently its a pretty mellow drive so even with snow. I think it would be fine as long as there was a couple rigs out there.
As you can tell, i'm itching to get out there and have some fun
Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
Haha, thats how I found out as well. Drove all the way up to the gate. didn't want to go all the way back to mountain home so I went and explored a little on shaw mtn drive. The dirt road goes all the way back to ridge road. But even on that fairly smooth road the snow was getting pretty deep. Like i mentioned before I was the only rig out there so I just went ahead and turned back. Didn't want to risk getting stuck. A winch is nice to have and all but it can only help me so much.
Lemme know when you go test out your new stuff. There's always lost trail or w/e its called over by Murphy. Its got some snow right now i'm sure but apparently its a pretty mellow drive so even with snow. I think it would be fine as long as there was a couple rigs out there.
As you can tell, i'm itching to get out there and have some fun
sounds good, i ride dirtbikes out at murphy at hemingway butte. whats lost trail like? how many decent wheeling trails are out there? only ripped through on a dirtbike so i never slowed down enough to spot good 4x4 trails.