Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Les Schwab experience with lift install - anyone have any?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
searchgeek
sportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsguy's Tacoma Gallery
Les Schwab experience with lift install - anyone have any?

I seem to recall a thread somewhere noting the Les Schwab in Bellevue was doing installs of the Bilstien 5100's and AALs for somewhere around $670.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this set up, and with Les Schwab installing it especially.

Only looking for maybe 1 - 1.5 inches, max. Heck, I might just stay stock for now and add the Duratracs...
Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I have no idea, all I know is that they only install what you purchase through them. It's dumb, but understandable.

My buddy works at the schwab in Redmond.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
This is not just my personal experience, but the story I hear from everybody is that the business is going downhill since the old man died.

If you are only looking for a tiny amount of lift, go add some 265/75/16, which gives you exactly 1"

If you want to go more, I like the OME. OME is a product of ARB, and you can have OME put on by Schwab. HOWEVER, if you don't mind the drive, I encourage you to try Auburn Car Repair & Offroad. John knows his stuff and is a fair deal!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
searchgeek
sportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
If you are only looking for a tiny amount of lift, go add some 265/75/16, which gives you exactly 1"

If you want to go more, I like the OME. OME is a product of ARB, and you can have OME put on by Schwab. HOWEVER, if you don't mind the drive, I encourage you to try Auburn Car Repair & Offroad. John knows his stuff and is a fair deal!
Now, this helps immensely...

1 - adding the tires alone will likely keep me happy for a while, it seems. Small bump in lift, but big improvement in traction. You say "exactly 1 inch of lift"...but is that because the tire diameter is 1 inch larger than the stock 245 tire? If so, it's only 1/2" of actual lift (still fine in my book). If the tire diameter is 2 inches bigger than stock, so much the better as I'd be happy adding the extra full inch of ground clearance under the truck.

2 - I LOVE getting recommendations for local shops. Auburn isn't too bad...you could have said Olympia... I used to have a "Jeep only" shop back home where I went - always best to build and nurture a relationship - it pays off in the end. I'll check them out.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Bobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobert14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bobert14's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly...never been impressed with Les Schwab and don't know anyone else who is.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure some of the members on here would be willing to help you out and save you some money.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
searchgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
I'm sure some of the members on here would be willing to help you out and save you some money.
...and this is why I love communities like this.

Great feedback and like minded people willing to share ideas and time.

...mixed with a few dolts to spice things up from time to time... *whistles*

Next question:

Where do folks like to buy Goodyear Duratrac's (non-kevlar versions) around here?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sportsguy, I was assuming you had the TRD. You may gain a different amount from your set, check out the tire size calculator in my sig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobert14 View Post
Honestly...never been impressed with Les Schwab and don't know anyone else who is.
They were worthwhile a number of years back for basic care, but I also knew the guy who oversaw tires for ODOT... Who in turn had personal connections with Les Schwab himself... While that relationship was active, they both kept things in line. However, one is retired and one is dead.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
searchgeek
Quote:
Sportsguy, I was assuming you had the TRD. You may gain a different amount from your set, check out the tire size calculator in my sig.
I can't seem to get the calculator to work. Tried it in IE and FF - no joy...

...and no TRD - just base for me.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
jammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant future

Name: James
jammdogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jammdogg
I had my 5100's installed by Schwab in Hillsboro. The guy there was top notch. I did have to buy the front set from them, but they could not get the rears. I purchased them from Downsoutmotorsports, and on the installers advice, left them sitting on my backseat. When I picked up the truck, lo and behold, I had front and rear shocks installed. The alignment was also done properly, and overall, am happy with my experience there.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Nuggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy View Post
I can't seem to get the calculator to work. Tried it in IE and FF - no joy...

...and no TRD - just base for me.
You used this link, right?

Anyway, the 265/75/16 has a diameter of 31.7", compared to a 245/75/16 at 30.5"
Old 05-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy View Post
...and this is why I love communities like this.

Great feedback and like minded people willing to share ideas and time.

...mixed with a few dolts to spice things up from time to time... *whistles*

Next question:

Where do folks like to buy Goodyear Duratrac's (non-kevlar versions) around here?
Got mine from sears, lady found me one set
Old 05-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
searchgeek
Quote:
You used this link, right?

Anyway, the 265/75/16 has a diameter of 31.7", compared to a 245/75/16 at 30.5"
No...I clicked the link in your sig, it took me to the Tacoma World calculator...which isn't working.

So...how are folks recalibrating their speedos after tire swaps? As easy as grabbing a scanner and telling the truck it has bigger shoes?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
Tacomadude89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I seem to recall a thread somewhere noting the Les Schwab in Bellevue was doing installs of the Bilstien 5100's and AALs for somewhere around $670.
That seems a little on the high side.

I had 4 Wheel Parts install my lift (a good experience), mount & balance 4 new tires and do and alignment and it was just over $475.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
Tacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SSG HHC 4/9 6th INF Div Scout Platoon Sgt.
Name: Ron
Tacodog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomadude89 View Post
That seems a little on the high side.

I had 4 Wheel Parts install my lift (a good experience), mount & balance 4 new tires and do and alignment and it was just over $475.
Did you buy the lift from them?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #16
frycook is one of the sharper tools in the shedfrycook is one of the sharper tools in the shedfrycook is one of the sharper tools in the shedfrycook is one of the sharper tools in the shedfrycook is one of the sharper tools in the shedfrycook is one of the sharper tools in the shedfrycook is one of the sharper tools in the shedfrycook is one of the sharper tools in the shedfrycook is one of the sharper tools in the shedfrycook is one of the sharper tools in the shedfrycook is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 11B2V
Name: Zach
frycook's Tacoma Gallery
I had a bad experience from 4wheelparts, when I picked the truck up there was a long scratch from front fender to back tail light on the right side, and they wired my ARB blinkers wrong so my battery died. But the lift was done fine I guess lol
Old 05-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a Schwab account since I was 17. Since then my love for them has dwindled down to the point that I just purchased my wheels/tires for my truck from Discount. first time I've ventured away from Schwab in 14 years.

Last summer they did install my 5100's for me. They did it wrong the first time, had the seat for the coil turned upside down. They bitched the whole time, charged me to much but in the end it's done and guaranteed through them. The installer and the Ass. Manager tried multiple times to talk me into their spacer leveling kit.

Typically, they will only install what they sell and they mark up special order parts a ridiculous amount.

I don't think I'll go back again .. 14 years and they lost me. They only installed the two front 5100's and aligned... almost $600.00.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
Tacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SSG HHC 4/9 6th INF Div Scout Platoon Sgt.
Name: Ron
Tacodog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomadude89 View Post
I did not.
Did you use Tacoma or Lynnwood shop?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #20
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
It's actually Les Schwab on 124th in Kirkland that sells the 5100's and choice of rear blocks or AAL's (go with the AAL's!). It's a great setup, I've been running em for a while now and love em. I didn't buy at Les Schwab or have them installed there (I bought from Toytec and installed myself), but it's a pretty basic strut swap and AAL install, so they should do a fine job, and it's guaranteed, and their price is pretty good.