Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

NW WA meet thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #4101
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Infantry
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
SNOW MEET

Date: Saturday November 23rd

Time: 9:00AM to 10:00AM SPECIFIC TIME WILL BE UPDATED AS THE WEEKEND NEARS

Meet Location: CAN CHANGE
Safeway Parking Lot
460 SW Mt Si Blvd
North Bend, WA

Destination: CAN CHANGE
1.) It's a switchback that forks off of NF Road 5045. It'll get us just below 5,000' of elevation so it should hold a spectacular view.
Copy/Paste into Google Search Bar to see the dropped pin:
47.301846,-121.486731

2.) A high point just NE of Chester Morse Lake. Has a lot of switchbacks & looks like a sweet view from the top overlooking the valley below to the S/SW.
47.396664,-121.661739

YES:
SeattleCoug
GSPRunner
n.clarkwa
adventureseth
YZRIDER3087
cosmicfires

POSSIBLY:
Mr. & Mrs. Beavis0076
kbauman92
AWilson013
rideexileex

Old 11-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #4102
YZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Devin
YZRIDER3087's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
SNOW MEET

2.) A high point just NE of Chester Morse Lake. Has a lot of switchbacks & looks like a sweet view from the top overlooking the valley below to the S/SW.
47.396664,-121.661739

YES:
SeattleCoug
GSPRunner
n.clarkwa
adventureseth

POSSIBLY:
Mr. & Mrs. Beavis0076
kbauman92
AWilson013
rideexileex

Put me down as possibly for the run.... Destination #1 might be a good one. However, destination #2 is not a possibility. FS 50 near the west end of Chester Morse lake is closed to public access because it is part of the Seattle watershed. Found the info on the FS website, and downloaded their public use map and its clearly marked as closed to public access. Only other way to get anywhere near there is where I took my quad, its washed out, over grown and after all that an impassable road block... unless there is another way I'm not seeing?

after looking up destination 1 on google... looks like you need to access FS 50 to get there?? From what I can tell, FS 50 is gated right at the begining near Iron Horse state park.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #4103
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZRIDER3087 View Post
Put me down as possibly for the run.... Destination #1 might be a good one. However, destination #2 is not a possibility. FS 50 near the west end of Chester Morse lake is closed to public access because it is part of the Seattle watershed. Found the info on the FS website, and downloaded their public use map and its clearly marked as closed to public access. Only other way to get anywhere near there is where I took my quad, its washed out, over grown and after all that an impassable road block... unless there is another way I'm not seeing?

after looking up destination 1 on google... looks like you need to access FS 50 to get there?? From what I can tell, FS 50 is gated right at the begining near Iron Horse state park.

From my experience, you are 100% correct. I spent a few weeks trying to find a way to poke into Lester, WA without going through Stampede Pass. I believe security around the watershed has increased over the past 10 years so even trails farther away are being allowed to overgrow. I believe there is entry for FS50 on the west side (near Rattlesnake Lake) but it requires previous arrangements and only allows you to access a 'visitor' area near the west side of the lake.

Otherwise I've heard that accessing these roads gets you a quick visit from a gubmint authority.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #4104
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Put me down as possibly for the run....
Done.

Sounds like these areas are a no go then...
Maybe we ought to just explore the other side of the interstate
Old 11-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #4105
YZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYZRIDER3087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You guys should check out SNOWTREK.ORG and click in the Snow Wheeling tab... lots of good info and places to go and updates from others on there.... dunno if you all are opposed to HWY 2, but Tonga Ridge and FS 65 are all real good places to go. For me HWY 2 is the same as I90 distance wise. I'm in Seattle near northgate mall. Plus you pass right by Reiter pit, and the 4x4 loop is fun to hit on the way. Sliders needed though for sure. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I'm supposed to have Saturday off, so for now count me in on whatever you guys figure out.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #4107
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
We didnt know how much snow to really expect and I think most of us were surprised by how much we really ran into.

I like how on gitout they have a list of equipment you need to bring along on the trips... Now I dont want to have this escalate to the point where we all need permission slips from our moms to go out, but I think this trip really showed how the proper gear is essential (full size shovel, recovery strap, shackle, recovery points (sports dont come with a good one on the front), full tank of gas, proper tires, cb( I really think a CB is essential), etc.)

If you are havnt wheeled your truck much it might be a good idea to ride shotgun for a trip, or we have an easy fireroad meet to break the new guys in heh heh. Plus understand what all of the do dads in our trucks do. I have a skewp so I have no need for ATRAC or a locker, but for the guys that do have that stuff, play around with it and or read up on it, its amazing what that stuff can do for you.

Of course this trip wasnt bad, no one got stuck on the mountain, no one got hurt, but as a group we can do better to ensure our safety and our fun!

Good times and lets keep em coming!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #4108

Quote:
You guys should check out SNOWTREK.ORG and click in the Snow Wheeling tab... lots of good info and places to go and updates from others on there.... dunno if you all are opposed to HWY 2, but Tonga Ridge and FS 65 are all real good places to go. For me HWY 2 is the same as I90 distance wise. I'm in Seattle near northgate mall. Plus you pass right by Reiter pit, and the 4x4 loop is fun to hit on the way. Sliders needed though for sure. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I'm supposed to have Saturday off, so for now count me in on whatever you guys figure out.
I would be game for HWY 2!
You're right, same distance, and they will have more snow, or at least more access to areas & possible shooting. Plus we (or most of us) won't have to deal with Seattle traffic on the return, that's always a plus
Old 11-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #4109

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedjak View Post
We didnt know how much snow to really expect and I think most of us were surprised by how much we really ran into.

I like how on gitout they have a list of equipment you need to bring along on the trips... Now I dont want to have this escalate to the point where we all need permission slips from our moms to go out, but I think this trip really showed how the proper gear is essential.

If you are havnt wheeled your truck much it might be a good idea to ride shotgun for a trip, or we have an easy fireroad meet to break the new guys in heh heh. Plus understand what all of the do dads in our trucks do. I have a skewp so I have no need for ATRAC or a locker, but for the guys that do have that stuff, play around with it and or read up on it, its amazing what that stuff can do for you.

Of course this trip wasnt bad, no one got stuck on the mountain, no one got hurt, but as a group we can do better to ensure our safety and our fun!

Good times and lets keep em coming!
x2 I wanna put this TRD locker to good use yee yee
Old 11-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #4110
adrenalinejunkie is on a distinguished road
Name: seth
adrenalinejunkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_cc View Post
If I were you, I would actually not bring my rig
Lack of recovery gear and conditions are expected to be very slick with possibly deep snow in places. There is no doubt you will need to use recovery straps, etc.

I am going to definitely switch to M/Ts. My A/Ts sucked donkey. Could also be due to the fact they are Cooper Discoverer AT3s which have got me stuck in snow easily before.

It's not hardcore with respect to possible damage and rocks, but it is hardcore slick and probably a challenging time to start learning your truck's offroad behavior.
Hey thanks for the advice. I really appreciate how helpfull everyone on here seems to be.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #4111
rideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
rideexileex's Tacoma Gallery
Note with the lockers, time, and tire pressure...

Lockers can be a friend and a worst enemy in the snow... Even though I wasn't there myself, I'll point out the example from the snow run last year up at Evan's where people didn't make it out till 6am.

Lockers in the snow have the tendency to kick you sideways anytime traction is lost, especially on a side-hill situation. Anything off camber, and open-open will be your safest bet. Selectable lockers are greatly preferred in the snow. If I remember the stories correctly, the rig that had the most trouble last year is full time locked in the rear, and with a light truck bed, ended up off the side of the road.

As mentioned, they are awful once you lose traction, but with finesse can offer aided traction. Prime example was the jeep / willy's from the last run - the guy knew what he was doing with those full time lockers. A low HP motor was key in my mind, because he did not spin the tires at all. Any moment they started to slip, clutch went in and he went into reverse to give it another run. All in all, I found myself to have the lockers on only in the really deep fluffy stuff... I don't think they made that significant of a difference, at least for our last run.

With mention to time, I think we should kick these snow runs a few hours earlier. I know it's the weekend, but just like skiing, we should plan to hit the snow by 9 or so. We didn't start wheeling till the ~11:30 mark, and didn't leave much for daylight. We got out just before dark, and that didn't have any serious rescues involved. Had $... hit the fan, we would have had a miserable time. We should caution for errors, and give some buffer time.

Also - PSI. Even myself, I didn't air down sufficiently at first, but I ended up around 5psi in the end, and it made a world of difference. This is needed for the snow wheeling around here. We should start planning to seriously air down to these low PSI numbers. Since no one here that I know of has bead-locks, we should be ready to re-seat a bead if something crazy were to happen. Worst case, that means throwing on a spare tire, but ratchet straps can come in handy for squeezing the tire to help reset a bead. Another aspect to think about is a large base to use for the jack / hi lift in the snow to support the truck. I think bringing a compressor is also a vital piece of equipment on these snow runs.

Although on the cheaper side, I've seen these work quite (relatively) well out in the field. Normally I'm hesitant to recommend a HF product, but these would serve well as an intro:
http://www.harborfreight.com/volt-15...sor-69285.html

Viair and ARB also make great pumps, which I would definitely recommend for flow rate, etc over the HF pump, but at least the HF one is a start.

Please give me some feedback!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #4112
rideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shedrideexileex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Additionally, I just purchased:
http://www.amazon.com/Series-Accugag...+gauge+low+psi
Old 11-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #4113

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideexileex View Post
With mention to time, I think we should kick these snow runs a few hours earlier. I know its the weekend, but just like skiing, we should plan to hit the snow by 9 or so. We didnt start wheeling till the ~11:30 mark, and didn't leave much for daylight. We got out just before dark, and that didn't have any serious rescues involved. Had $... hit the fan, we would have had a miserable time. We should caution for errors, and give some buffer time.

Also - PSI. Even myself, I didn't air down sufficiently at first, but I ended up around 5psi in the end, and it made a world of difference. This is needed for the snow wheeling around here. We should start planning to seriously air down to these low PSI numbers. Since no one here that I know of has bead-locks, we should be ready to re-seat a bead if something crazy were to happen. Worst case, that means throwing on a spare tire, but ratchet straps can come in handy for squeezing the tire to help reset a bead. Another aspect to think about is a large base to use for the jack / hi lift in the snow to support the truck. I think bringing a compressor is a vital piece of equipment on these snow runs.
I don't know much about lockers in the snow, but definitely start earlier to account for snow. A lot of guys are coming from North/South of Seattle so idk how much earlier people are wanting to meet up. PSI, yes, definitely air dowwwwwwn
Old 11-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #4114

All this talk about straps and shovels...

#1 thing in the snow... TIRE PRESSURE.

You'll spend all day getting stuck if you have anything over 5psi in your tires..

I know a lot of you were "aired down" but 10-15psi and 35psi are essentially the same thing in snow or sand. You have to get low enough so your sidewalls will really squish and form to the snow. Snow is soft, your tires need to be softer. And you'll stay on top of the snow, instead of sinking. I always run 5psi or lower. Saturday I was at 2psi. I know a lot of you were worried about loosing a bead. That simply won't happen at mach 3MPH lol. I do a lot of snow wheelin', I've never lost a bead.

Another key thing is TRACTION. If you break it, no more forward momentum. Once you break traction, let off the gas and let the tires bite again. A heavy foot and spinning tires will get you no where fast.

If those 2 things fail... then pull out the strap and shovel. I always bring them, but I can count maybe 3 times I've ever had to dig out of the snow. I also carry a ratchet strap and a can of starting fluid. If you do lose a bead, it can be set about 30 seconds.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #4115

Another key thing, as redieexileex said... a compressor. Don't air down if you can't air up. Usually as a group more then a few will have a compressor, but the 12v units take about 4-5 min per tire from 5psi back to 35psi, and thats with a good heavy duty compressor. The smaller ones take even longer. Sharing is caring, but you'll be standing around a long time if you're waiting to borrow one. Then once that guys done hes got to wait another 20 min for you to wrap it up. Don't be that guy lol plus its key in every offroad situation, not just the snow.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #4116
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
the 12v units take about 4-5 min per tire from 5psi back to 35psi, and thats with a good heavy duty compressor. The smaller ones take even longer.
Everything you said about air pressure is spot on. To speak to Sean's point about lockers in the snow, the only time I have really effectively used my locker in the snow was when I was climbing an off-camber hill, and my rear tires were able to sit against the side of hill once the rear kicked out against it.

And this post is the reason I always carry 2 little cheapies with me:

Old 11-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #4117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
I was looking at getting one of thos arb airbag jacks... I too was thinking .. if we need to re seat a bead.. how the f is a jack gonna work in this deep ass snow?
I went down to 10.. I'll follow your advice and go lower.

another thing I think everyone should carry is a fire ext.. shit gets hot when you pushing your truck. ( dont have one.. Im changing that this week.)
I'm also adding the cool little air down pen/ keychain.. that worked great.

I thought we might have 4-5 inches of snow.. that def took me by suprise.

Devin and Sean, appreciate the help you guys gave, and the advice.

Always willing to lend a hand and share some knowledge.... I asked several about tire pressure, and suggested to go lower but didn't want to press the issue since it was my first time meeting all of you. Didn't want to be the guy that shows up and tries telling people how to drive, what psi they should be at, what they should have for lunch.. lol no one likes that guy haha

Ive used my hi lift in the snow by shoving some limbs and stuff under the base. Sunk a little buy did the trick. They sell a wider base for the soft stuff, but never felt I really needed to spend the money. One could easily be made out of scrap steel. A fire extinguisher is also key, have one mounted in front of the drivers seat. My valve covers used to leak on to my headers before I put my new motor in, if the heater was on sometimes it would blow smoke into the cab... always thought I'd be using the extinguisher at some point. Now I have a new motor and all new gaskets, so I feel much safer.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #4118

Quote:
I just added this pump to my truck about a week before the trip.. superflow MV 90. it did a nice job.. glad I got it...

My old one that I keep as a backup is this..
Super slowwwwwwwwwww.

Ive had the smittybilt version for over a year now... same pump different branding. I love it. I had the smaller version of the super flow, this one is way faster at airing up 35s!
Old 11-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #4119

Quote:
ha! My family makes vehical fire extinguisher mounts and I dont have one in my truck!
Haha, way to support the family business
Double
Old 11-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #4120

Fire extinguishers is a whole topic too - I keep two in my rig. I keep a B-C on the drivers side so that I can put out my own vehicles fires, since it is a different compound that cleans up easier and is relatively safer for electronics, etc. I keep an A-B-C one on the passenger side that I would use in all other scenarios.

Products Discussed in this Thread