1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NW WA Meet / BS Thread

Discussion in 'North West' started by Benson X, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Nov 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    We didnt know how much snow to really expect and I think most of us were surprised by how much we really ran into.

I like how on gitout they have a list of equipment you need to bring along on the trips... Now I dont want to have this escalate to the point where we all need permission slips from our moms to go out, but I think this trip really showed how the proper gear is essential (full size shovel, recovery strap, shackle, recovery points (sports dont come with a good one on the front), full tank of gas, proper tires, cb( I really think a CB is essential), etc.)

If you are havnt wheeled your truck much it might be a good idea to ride shotgun for a trip, or we have an easy fireroad meet to break the new guys in heh heh. Plus understand what all of the do dads in our trucks do. I have a skewp so I have no need for ATRAC or a locker, but for the guys that do have that stuff, play around with it and or read up on it, its amazing what that stuff can do for you.

Of course this trip wasnt bad, no one got stuck on the mountain, no one got hurt, but as a group we can do better to ensure our safety and our fun!

Good times and lets keep em coming!

2. Nov 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    yote

yote Washington State University

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Ext Cab TRD Off-Road
    I would be game for HWY 2!
    You're right, same distance, and they will have more snow, or at least more access to areas & possible shooting. Plus we (or most of us) won't have to deal with Seattle traffic on the return, that's always a plus

3. Nov 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    yote

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    x2 I wanna put this TRD locker to good use :D yee yee

4. Nov 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    adrenalinejunkie

adrenalinejunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    seth
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2001 tacoma SR5 TRD 4x4
    Hey thanks for the advice. I really appreciate how helpfull everyone on here seems to be.

5. Nov 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    rideexileex

rideexileex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner
    Note with the lockers, time, and tire pressure...

Lockers can be a friend and a worst enemy in the snow... Even though I wasn't there myself, I'll point out the example from the snow run last year up at Evan's where people didn't make it out till 6am.

Lockers in the snow have the tendency to kick you sideways anytime traction is lost, especially on a side-hill situation. Anything off camber, and open-open will be your safest bet. Selectable lockers are greatly preferred in the snow. If I remember the stories correctly, the rig that had the most trouble last year is full time locked in the rear, and with a light truck bed, ended up off the side of the road.

As mentioned, they are awful once you lose traction, but with finesse can offer aided traction. Prime example was the jeep / willy's from the last run - the guy knew what he was doing with those full time lockers. A low HP motor was key in my mind, because he did not spin the tires at all. Any moment they started to slip, clutch went in and he went into reverse to give it another run. All in all, I found myself to have the lockers on only in the really deep fluffy stuff... I don't think they made that significant of a difference, at least for our last run.

With mention to time, I think we should kick these snow runs a few hours earlier. I know it's the weekend, but just like skiing, we should plan to hit the snow by 9 or so. We didn't start wheeling till the ~11:30 mark, and didn't leave much for daylight. We got out just before dark, and that didn't have any serious rescues involved. Had $... hit the fan, we would have had a miserable time. We should caution for errors, and give some buffer time.

Also - PSI. Even myself, I didn't air down sufficiently at first, but I ended up around 5psi in the end, and it made a world of difference. This is needed for the snow wheeling around here. We should start planning to seriously air down to these low PSI numbers. Since no one here that I know of has bead-locks, we should be ready to re-seat a bead if something crazy were to happen. Worst case, that means throwing on a spare tire, but ratchet straps can come in handy for squeezing the tire to help reset a bead. Another aspect to think about is a large base to use for the jack / hi lift in the snow to support the truck. I think bringing a compressor is also a vital piece of equipment on these snow runs.

Although on the cheaper side, I've seen these work quite (relatively) well out in the field. Normally I'm hesitant to recommend a HF product, but these would serve well as an intro: Viair and ARB also make great pumps, which I would definitely recommend for flow rate, etc over the HF pump, but at least the HF one is a start.

Please give me some feedback!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  6. Nov 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    rideexileex

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner
  7. Nov 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    yote

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    I don't know much about lockers in the snow, but definitely start earlier to account for snow. A lot of guys are coming from North/South of Seattle so idk how much earlier people are wanting to meet up. PSI, yes, definitely air dowwwwwwn

8. Nov 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    YZRIDER3087

YZRIDER3087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2002 Supercharged TRD
    TRD Supercharger-TRD 7th Injector-TRD Headers/Catback-Front 4" ProComp w/ OME 882 coils on NitroCharger struts-Rear 5" AllPro Springs w/ 1.5" Shackles & Bilstein 5125's-315/75/16 MTR Kevlar on Wheelers Steelies-5.29 Nitro Gears-Hayden External Trans Cooler-TrailGear Front Bumper and Sliders-XRC8 Winch-Demello Hybrid Rear Bumper-Tundra Brake Swap w/ Slotted and Dimpled Rotors-Viper Security w/ Remote Start-42" 240w Genssi LED Bar-Two 51w 7" Round LED
    All this talk about straps and shovels...

#1 thing in the snow... TIRE PRESSURE.

You'll spend all day getting stuck if you have anything over 5psi in your tires..

I know a lot of you were "aired down" but 10-15psi and 35psi are essentially the same thing in snow or sand. You have to get low enough so your sidewalls will really squish and form to the snow. Snow is soft, your tires need to be softer. And you'll stay on top of the snow, instead of sinking. I always run 5psi or lower. Saturday I was at 2psi. I know a lot of you were worried about loosing a bead. That simply won't happen at mach 3MPH lol. I do a lot of snow wheelin', I've never lost a bead.

Another key thing is TRACTION. If you break it, no more forward momentum. Once you break traction, let off the gas and let the tires bite again. A heavy foot and spinning tires will get you no where fast.

If those 2 things fail... then pull out the strap and shovel. I always bring them, but I can count maybe 3 times I've ever had to dig out of the snow. I also carry a ratchet strap and a can of starting fluid. If you do lose a bead, it can be set about 30 seconds.

9. Nov 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    YZRIDER3087

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2002 Supercharged TRD
    TRD Supercharger-TRD 7th Injector-TRD Headers/Catback-Front 4" ProComp w/ OME 882 coils on NitroCharger struts-Rear 5" AllPro Springs w/ 1.5" Shackles & Bilstein 5125's-315/75/16 MTR Kevlar on Wheelers Steelies-5.29 Nitro Gears-Hayden External Trans Cooler-TrailGear Front Bumper and Sliders-XRC8 Winch-Demello Hybrid Rear Bumper-Tundra Brake Swap w/ Slotted and Dimpled Rotors-Viper Security w/ Remote Start-42" 240w Genssi LED Bar-Two 51w 7" Round LED
    Another key thing, as redieexileex said... a compressor. Don't air down if you can't air up. Usually as a group more then a few will have a compressor, but the 12v units take about 4-5 min per tire from 5psi back to 35psi, and thats with a good heavy duty compressor. The smaller ones take even longer. Sharing is caring, but you'll be standing around a long time if you're waiting to borrow one. Then once that guys done hes got to wait another 20 min for you to wrap it up. Don't be that guy :D lol plus its key in every offroad situation, not just the snow.

10. Nov 18, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    Everything you said about air pressure is spot on. To speak to Sean's point about lockers in the snow, the only time I have really effectively used my locker in the snow was when I was climbing an off-camber hill, and my rear tires were able to sit against the side of hill once the rear kicked out against it.

And this post is the reason I always carry 2 little cheapies with me:

[​IMG]

11. Nov 18, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    YZRIDER3087

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2002 Supercharged TRD

Always willing to lend a hand and share some knowledge.... I asked several about tire pressure, and suggested to go lower but didn't want to press the issue since it was my first time meeting all of you. Didn't want to be the guy that shows up and tries telling people how to drive, what psi they should be at, what they should have for lunch.. lol no one likes that guy haha

Ive used my hi lift in the snow by shoving some limbs and stuff under the base. Sunk a little buy did the trick. They sell a wider base for the soft stuff, but never felt I really needed to spend the money. One could easily be made out of scrap steel. A fire extinguisher is also key, have one mounted in front of the drivers seat. My valve covers used to leak on to my headers before I put my new motor in, if the heater was on sometimes it would blow smoke into the cab... always thought I'd be using the extinguisher at some point. Now I have a new motor and all new gaskets, so I feel much safer.

12. Nov 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    YZRIDER3087

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2002 Supercharged TRD
    Ive had the smittybilt version for over a year now... same pump different branding. I love it. I had the smaller version of the super flow, this one is way faster at airing up 35s!

13. Nov 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM
    yote

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    Haha, way to support the family business ;)
    Double :facepalm::facepalm:

14. Nov 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    rideexileex

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner
    Fire extinguishers is a whole topic too - I keep two in my rig. I keep a B-C on the drivers side so that I can put out my own vehicles fires, since it is a different compound that cleans up easier and is relatively safer for electronics, etc. I keep an A-B-C one on the passenger side that I would use in all other scenarios.

15. Nov 18, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    yote

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    I keep one in my tool box, should probably move it & mount it on the rear side panel of the driver side. That seems to be a spot where it won't get in the way/is easily accessible

I more so keep it back there for other people, not myself..

16. Nov 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    rideexileex

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner
    Just to push the the extremes... I also think about how I would access things if the truck were flopped on its side, upside down, etc

17. Nov 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    kbauman92

kbauman92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    North Bend
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma ext cab
    King 2.5x6 RR coilovers eibach coils Light Racing UCA Spidertrax spacers Fiberwerx fenders
  18. Nov 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    kbauman92

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    North Bend
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma ext cab
    King 2.5x6 RR coilovers eibach coils Light Racing UCA Spidertrax spacers Fiberwerx fenders
    ok thanks

19. Nov 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    kbauman92

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    North Bend
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma ext cab
  20. Nov 18, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    YZRIDER3087

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2002 Supercharged TRD
    The one I had before was the smaller version of the super flow... viair supposed to be good, but they seem priced a little high. The one you've got and the one I've got are the exact same, just different companies slapping their sticker on it. I found them cheaper online but wanted to get my hands on it that day so I picked mine up at 4wheel parts for $199 + I bought the life time warranty smittybilt offers for $40. Smittybilt also had a co2 tank for like $200, half the price of a powertank. They fill a lot faster than a 12v pump, you can run air tools off it, and will seat a bead without using starting fluid and a lighter. But you got to deal with having it refilled when it gets low. Depending how often you use it you could get away with once or twice every year. Co2 is cheap at welding supply stores.

just read the description for the super flow from the link you posted... it says it inflates a 37" tire in under 2 min and a car tire in under 16 second. By "inflates" do they mean from no air to some air? lol It takes easily 4-5min per tire for me and I'm only on 35s.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top