Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Owyhee Front Range

Old 06-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
enigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud of
Air Force: Medic
Name: Nate
enigmadsm's Tacoma Gallery
Owyhee Front Range

Ian, Mark, Aleks, and myself all met up today to go see what kind of trouble we could get our rigs into.
A few months back I heard about a trail over in the Owyhee's called "The Lost Trail" looked like a great little route about 15 miles long with some pretty challenging stuff for lightly modified rigs.
I've never piloted my own rig in tough obstacles, so this was exciting to get some experience...and finally a chance to test out my winch. Thanks to the group for the great coaching and making sure none of us left with too much damage.

Mark kept pushing/motivating us...Sometimes we'd look at a few lines and be like "ehh i don't think we're gonna make that one" and Mark would be the guinea pig with his Taco (NO LOCKER BTW, Thing was a BEAST!)

On with the pics. DISLAIMER: THESE PICS TRULY DON'T DO SOME OF THESE PATHS JUSTICE, A couple of times we were on the BRINK of tipping and in a few hairy situations...Also, on the REAL difficult stuff most of us were doing everything we could to help the person driving, so noone really had their camera ready to go

Old 06-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
enigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud ofenigmadsm has much to be proud of

This next series was by far the most difficult obstacle...Also not pictured, right before this was a VERY offcamber that paralleled a huge rock wall. It was to the point that Ians 4runner would rock back and forth nearly lifting the right side off the ground...All while maintaining roughly 3" of clearance from his entire left side bashing the rock wall. After clearing that was this HUGE 4-5ft face that was very steep and somewhat slick...partial offcamber as well...
Lockers proved to be helpful in this instance (you'll see why)

His sliders helped, but the longer wheelbase got the best of his open difs here...We got the strap and hooked em up to my 4runner. I was locked and in 4Lo...He was too hung up and I was just digging all 4 of my muds deeper and deeper.
step 2....Get my winch out, hook it to the back of Ians 4Runner and use both 4Runners to pull the Taco free. BOOM!!! IT WORKED

TO BE CONTINUED
Old 06-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
So after all the fun with the straps and winch we feel like we are nearing the end of the trail...We put our rigs in 2wd and mob ass down some washboard roads....All going great UNTIL!!!!!
Ian and I were going a little too fast, we hit a fork and I thought that I stopped long enough for Mark to see which way we went. Well apparently He didn't see us o.O
so I turn around (aleks riding shotty) Ian kept hauling ass toward the exit, We see that Mark turned the opposite way and we're railing the turns trying to catch him (to no avail).
So I park start honking my horn, the 3 of us are probably 3 miles apart from one another...none knowing where the other was (I had an idea where Ian went, but he didn't see us turn back).
So finally I say well, lets go where we know (toward Ian) and regroup with him, backtrack and find mark...Sure as shit, Aleks and I are hauling ass one way, Ian coming right for us on a single track road...Both turn the corner and HELLO we are on a collision course with one another.
each going 35-40mph....grab a footfull of brake and each turn slightly right destroying what shrubs/bushes may be off the road...Our trucks narrowly passing eachother by MERE INCHES.
I never really felt in danger of a head on, and I was expecting him to come up on us sooner or later, it was just a crazy scene, both of us going oh shit oh shit, yet smiling at the same time lol.

I tell him we lost mark and he went the other way...So we track his ass down and lose his tracks after about a few miles...We have no idea what we should do next. WHERE THE FUCK COULD HE BE!
All of a sudden, he just mobs outta nowhere like nothing happened all chipper and shit.
So we decide we should take the shortest way out to the main road (we had been wheeling for 3.5 hours at this point, yet traveling a whopping 15 miles lol.

Here's the parting shot:
Ian is a Baja Racer at heart...and he just couldn't resist
Old 06-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
I know Mark (IDTrucks) has a bunch more pics on his camera...hopefully he'll get them up soon. I'm waiting for the pic he has with my rear wheel like a foot in the air! I'm sure he has some other good ones as well.

Bummer noone else could make it, but it was a fun time....Looking at doing Carnage or MeatGrinder next
Old 06-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Nice pics! Looks like a fun day
Old 06-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
Dolan Plz
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
my pics brought over

I had an awesome day and had tons of fun and glad I got to meet some great guys to hang out and wheel with. Nobody backed out of anything, and when it got shifty everyone did the right thing and just gave it more gas! I can honestly say that today was the first time I have gotten to an obstacle and really could not get up it. It was just too slippery,too steep, and my open diffs weren't grabbing and i just got hung up/high centered on the frame and slider due to the longer wheel base and couldn't go up any more. So thanks guys for being there for my truck's defeat and dragging my ass up! I can't wait to go out and do it again!

We spent a long time on every electronic device we had before we left trying to figure how to plot a map so we didnt get lost, in the end we just gave up and said we would follow some vague directions that told us were to turn right and left

The fire heli base was in the parking lot at the trail head

Doug (twodoordime) We all drove up this ledge, i'm sure we can all find a way to drive up on your teg'

A great pic showing the obstacle we came up. It was the first real obstacle we came to, and after looking at it closer the 4 runner bros were quite hesitant. I said fuck it, no problem I got this. As I walked back to get the truck to go first they said "I like the ambition, but i dont think it's going to work" So the truck gets up with almost no drama...so much doubt on the open diffs

Like a boss

He wanted a poser shot

Old 06-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Dolan Plz
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery

Bitch, learn to park...blockin the trail and shit

The ledge that defeated the taco, and made nate's asshole pucker up so much his seat started to get sucked up. After watching Ian teeter on this thing and bang up his gas tank skid about halfway up, and all nate could see out of the front window was the sky, he had a white knuckle grip on the wheel and was so nervous he almost couldn't breathe. We kept telling him to just keep going and all he could mutter was I think I'd rather back down. He was pretty freaked out.:lolunamused: But he crawled up it just fine, then proceeded to pull my ass up after.

some damage from the day