Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

The Magruder/Lolo Motorway BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Magruder/Lolo Motorway BS

Meet Scheduled for the Magruder Corridor Road and the Lolo Motorway

Meeting in Graingeville, Idaho on Monday, August 13th at 10:00 am in the parking lot of Asker's Harvest Foods to bebing the Magruder portion of the expo.

The exact address of the meeting spot is 415 West Main Street, Graingeville, Id

Magruder Attendee List (so far):

1. Digiratus (Mike)
2. m3bassman (Ben & Ali)
3. Blackdawg (Monte & Jess)
4. MTgirl (Lisa)

Lolo Motorway Attendee List:

1. Digiratus (Mike)
2. m3bassman (Ben & Ali)
3. Blackdawg (Monte & Jess)

Pictures from the meet begin on page 25 with post #483

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...ml#post5544217

Things to bring

Water –There is no drinking water available on the trail. A reasonable amount to bring is 2 gallons/day/person for drinking and personal hygiene.

Extra fuel – A 5 gal container is preferred. You may not have to use it, but it will be comforting to have for an emergency.

Spare Tire – A spare the same size as the 4 on the ground. Might also consider a 2nd extra spare as backup to the backup.

Recovery – Hi-lift jack, tow straps, shackles, tools, spare parts.

Groceries – Food for at least 5 meals on the trail plus enough refreshments of choice.

Cooking - Propane stove/grill

Firewood – Bring in what you need. So far there are no fire restrictions. Campfires are allowed in the campgrounds using the provided fire rings.

Garbage/Refuse – Be prepared to pack out everything you bring in.

Preferred Equipment

Winch

CD radio
- We will be using Channel 22

Chainsaw
– Anyone have one they can bring in case we run into fallen trees across the trail?

I propose doing these two roads together, in a loop. Starting at Graingeville, Id or meeting in Elk City (limited lodging ops in EC) and finishing back in the Graingeville/Lewiston area. This would entail at least 3 nights (or possibly 4) of camping with a hotel/motel overnite stay somewhere between Darby MT and Lolo, MT on US93. So 4 or 5 nights altogether.

For some, 5 nights might be too much but doing a loop provides an opportunity to do just one of the 2 roads, joining in or dropping out at Darby, MT.

The Magruder road (FS 468) is about 110-120 miles long (depending on who you ask). This primitive road runs from Elk City in Idaho, across the continental divide to Darby Montana. The road reaches elevations of over 8500 feet in places.

Here is more information about the Magruder Corridor, its historic value and the road that follows it.

FS 468, Magruder Road Corridor

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTJw8jAwgAykeaxcN4jhYG_h4eYX5hPgYwefy6w0H24dcPNgEH cDTQ9_PIz03VL8iNMMgycVQEAHcGOlk!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfME80MEkxVkFCOTBFMktTNUJIMj AwMDAwMDA!/?ss=110117&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSE_003741& navid=110000000000000&pnavid=null&position=BROWSEB YSUBJECT&recid=16482&ttype=recarea&name=Magruder%2 520Road%2520Corridor&pname=Nez%2520Perce%2520Natio nal%2520Forest%2520-%2520Magruder%2520Road%2520Corridor

Magruder Road Map

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...m91_055693.pdf

The Lolo Motorway (FS 500) follows the approximate path of the Corps of Discovery, the path the Lewis & Clark traveled in 1805 and 1806.

Here are some links to more information about the motorway.

Driving the Lolo Motorway Brochure

http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/clearwater/L...ving_lolom.pdf

http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/clearwater/D.../Districts.htm

I have not done the Magruder road myself. However, I have stood at the entrances/exits at both ends and stared longingly. Unfortunately, I was by myself both times and ill prepared to take on its challenges. I have done a portion of the Lolo Motorway. Last year (Aug 2011) Ben (m3bassman) and I attempted to run the full length of the motorway but road conditions resulting from a very severe winter prevented us from completing the journey.

So there it is. Is anyone else interested in doing this with me? Looks like 2012 will be the year.

Nez Perce Pass is at the east end of the Magruder road.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Magruder links and such…

A story of one mans travels on the Magruder. From 2008. Pictures and story start ½ way down the page.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/1/page/2.cfm

Another nice article about the Magruder trek

http://www.jeffhead.com/magruder/index.htm

And another from last year, end of the season.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/26/121...-Corridor.aspx

A few pics from the Lolo Motorway from last year.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #5

Spoke to a very nice lady in the Powell Ranger district office today about FS500 road conditions and access. At the moment, the 500 road (the lolo motorway) is still under snow but access up to it is now open. Parachute Hill road (FS589) on the east end is open all the way up to the motorway. And the middle access road, FS107 is open all the way up to where it intersects with the motorway.

I was also told that all the road repairs were completed last year so once the snow is gone this year, the full length of the road should be open.

This all good news and means it is very likely that motorway itself will be drivable in August. We won’t know for sure for a few more weeks though. Once the rangers are able to get on the road to assess how much road clearing has to be done because of tree falls, we will have a much better idea of when it will open completely.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
I'm most likely in for the Magruder...start in ID, end in MT.

August would be best for me, maybe my allergies will have calmed down by then.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #17

Spoke with the Powell ranger office (east end of Lolo) yesterday. Found the young lady that answered the phone to be singularly very unhelpful. I guess that's to be expected as she is a temp hire, filling in because all the rest of the staff is in CO fighting fires.

I also called the Lochsa ranger office (west end) yesterday. The ranger told me FS500 (lolo motorway road) is still closed because of snow. It hasn't been cleared at all and still has not melted off. However, she felt it should be open by mid-august.

Beginning to wonder if doing the Lolo is feasible this year.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
damn this trip is getting more probable for me
Quote:
damn this trip is getting more probable for me
Quote:
Fuck too bad they have to open it. I feel that unless a whole section of trail is washed out, we have enough equipment and people to be able to run the road. snow drifts would be interesting and we could move downed trees if we had to. Oh well. I'm still keeping this week open. Going to be a busy next few weeks.
Wait... I thought you said you weren't going to make it because you had to save your pennies for moab next year.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #20

Fire and Ice

Wel it looks like the Magruder portion of this endeavour is going to happen.

For those interested in running the Magruder Road, I propose taking two days to run this trail. Meeting in Graingeville, Idaho on Monday, the 13th of August and planning for camping on the trail on Monday nite and Tuesday nite.

This leaves the options open for more exploring during the remainder of the week, either on the Lolo Motorway or ???

Please chime in here with your thoughts.

Products Discussed in this Thread