Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Surprise Lake Trail

Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Surprise Lake Trail

I went camping @ Surprise Lake on Sunday with my brother. I hadn't been up there before, but have read some good reports about the area, and I was eager to check it out.

It's near Evan's Creek outside of Carbonado, WA. Directions HERE.

TRAIL REPORT
:

This trail is rated "More Difficult", but I would give it a Black Diamond rating. 75% of the trail is slightly rocky logging-road conditions, while the other 25% is extremely rocky with basketball-sized boulders to drive around. Throw some logs and few large stumps in there, and you've got some fun obstacles to crawl over/around. Some tight corners and narrow overgrown trails. Pin-striping is guaranteed!!!

RECOMMENDED RIG SETUP:

Lift: 2-3" Highly recommended
Sliders: Highly recommended
Skids: Highly recommended (not required, I didn't have them)
Tires: Decent tread and lugs (MTs) w/ 3-ply sidewall (some of the rocks are extremely sharp/jagged and may puncture a 2-ply sidewall, like on Duratracs)
Misc: Diff. Breather relocate is recommended if you want to cross the lake.

I ran into a couple guys on their way out, and the last guy coming down was really cool. He gave me some "tips" about the roughest spot on the trail, we named it "Das Stump", but I should've picked my own line because it was a PITA and took me 3-4 attempts to do it his way. At least I know the best approach for next time.

He also gave me a heads up about the best camping spot at the lake, which was amazing!!! I had to drive through the lake, around the shoreline to reach it.

It's a nice sand bar on the other side of the lake. There was about 1/2 cord of firewood chopped up, carved log benches, and a decent fire-pit. A downed tree with the exposed root-system provided natural shelter for the wood, and a great place to hang some supplies. Nice packed sand was a great area to pitch our tents, and the lake was shallow near the shore, clear, and pristine.

NOTE: If anyone goes up there, please respect the area, tread lightly and if you pack it in, PACK IT OUT! I want to be able to return here, and keep the area good condition. The few people I spoke with up there were happy to see a new person out there, as they've been returning for 20+ years, but they want to keep it un-gated and maintained.

Here's some pics me and my bro took. Videos will be added once I finish editing them down.

(hardcore!!! )

Fun with long exposure @ night (the moon was awesome)

...and some nice panorama shots

Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Did you really run the amp off the truck bed or did you have something else? I think the amp would trip things in a hurry.

going to have to do this one soon
Old 09-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
wow looks awesome! great trail you found there
It was pretty badass. Definitely want to go again before it gets too cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Did you really run the amp off the truck bed or did you have something else? I think the amp would trip things in a hurry.

going to have to do this one soon
Yeah, I used the inverter. I was surprised it worked so well. We had my 2x12 combo, a 12" practice amp, some pedals and (2) drop-lights running off it. I did let the engine run while we were jamming though (only about 2 hours).

No problems at all

Might be going back in 2-3 weekends
Old 09-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I get tires early next week, my ball joints are on the coffee table.

I just need to schedule some service before I'm ready - end of the month would be possibly ideal.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. When you say "cross the lake" how deep and wide was this lake/crossing?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Looks good. When you say "cross the lake" how deep and wide was this lake/crossing?
I had to hug the shoreline, and it got pretty deep in a couple spots as you'll see in the video(s). Not deep enough to worry about hydro-locking the engine, or burning out the alternator, but I definitely tried to keep in the shallowest spots.

If you venture too far out, it turns pretty mucky, and you can easily get stuck if not careful or accelerating enough. But again...it was totally worth it
Old 09-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Veeery tempting. I think after the summer of wheeling we all have had, brush scratches are not a concern. Getting there looks as fun as the end result, from your pics.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
This looks like fun. I'd like to do this. Have explored that area a bit a few years ago after they rebuilt that bridge that crosses the Carbon River, did not know about this trail.
It is kinda short, but I loved it! Probably going back in a couple weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_cc View Post
Veeery tempting. I think after the summer of wheeling we all have had, brush scratches are not a concern. Getting there looks as fun as the end result, from your pics.
Yeah, I have put off trying to buff out my pin-stripes for WEEKS now. I think I will just wait until I know I'm not doing any more trips this year. Some people like detailing their vehicles....I loathe it.

Still got some video I need to edit, maybe I'll do that this weekend
Old 09-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
Nuggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Yeah, I have put off trying to buff out my pin-stripes for WEEKS now. I think I will just wait until I know I'm not doing any more trips this year. Some people like detailing their vehicles....I loathe it.
Oh come on Ben, we could make a totally kickass video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFlBD...ayer_embedded#!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #17
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
added to the list of places I must go
also digging the tune in the second vid, thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #18
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
That looks like an awesome place. I feel like I wouldn't be able to make it up though with my duratracs and spacer lift lol
Old 09-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #20
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Thanks Troy, you should check it out.

The artist in the second vid is RJD2, awesome producer, but I prefer his earliest stuff (2001-2006).
Yeah I have been listening to his stuff for a couple hours now. I'm diggin it.