Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Moving to Portland/Vancouver Area. Suggestions?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
Moving to Portland/Vancouver Area. Suggestions?

Planning on moving the family from Alaska in a few short years and we have more or less decided on someplace within close proximity to the Portland/Vancouver area.

To skip the income tax, we were thinking Washington, though Beaverton/Hillsboro sound pretty good.

Any suggestions out there? Want to stay resonable close to the city, like 50 miles or less. Somewhere good for family, schools, low crime rate, etc.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Hey! Don't think you'll get much of a response here. Ask in this thread..more activity from local guys.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...bs-thread.html
Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Onetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Onetime27's Tacoma Gallery
I live in the Tualatin area, not much crime (I've never seen any) lots of things to do around here close enough to downtown. Love it here.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetime27 View Post
I live in the Tualatin area, not much crime (I've never seen any) lots of things to do around here close enough to downtown. Love it here.
Wow, are those Tundra wheels on your truck or old school Taco rims? And what color are they? They almost look goldish, bronze. Looks bad ass!

EDIT
Oh and I've lived in Beaverton for 13 years now and haven't seen a crime.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
USCG CWO is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: CWO3
Name: Shane
USCG CWO's Tacoma Gallery
Just moved from there this summer thanks to the Coast Guard but the Salmon Creek, Hazel Dell area of Vancouver is really nice. Great schools, everything is close and Portland is 15 minutes across the bridge. Traffic can be a bugger across the I5 bridge sometimes but wife loved the area. Ross Pacific was the rental agency we went through. Hope that helps.

Shane
Old 11-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCG CWO View Post
Just moved from there this summer thanks to the Coast Guard but the Salmon Creek, Hazel Dell area of Vancouver is really nice. Great schools, everything is close and Portland is 15 minutes across the bridge. Traffic can be a bugger across the I5 bridge sometimes but wife loved the area. Ross Pacific was the rental agency we went through. Hope that helps.

Shane
I've already spent a few months there off and on for work there on the Vancouver side of the Columbia. I'm really digging the whole area....that is except for the rain.

I guess I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck, but still be reasonably close to Portland since the wife will more than likely be commuting there for work
Old 11-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
Onetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Onetime27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTacoma02 View Post
Wow, are those Tundra wheels on your truck or old school Taco rims? And what color are they? They almost look goldish, bronze. Looks bad ass!

EDIT
Oh and I've lived in Beaverton for 13 years now and haven't seen a crime.
Thanks! I pulled them off a Special Edition Sequoia so I would say Special Edition Silver? I haven't powdered coated them of anything.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Out of my mind....be back later.
RedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT 262d CCS WANG
Name: Dale
RedTacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
If you are looking on the Oregon side I would suggest Corbet or Mollala are viable alternatives with lots of off road close by. If you are moving to Vancouver I would suggest Brush Prairie or Battleground.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
Willie64
willie64 is on a distinguished road

Name: willie64
willie64's Tacoma Gallery
Stay out of Multnomah County (PDX), taxes will eat you alive. I just paid $150 for the privilege of re-registering my 4runner in Mult Co. A lot of other little taxes, too. Other areas around MultCo are a lot easier on taxes..... and closer to trails. In town your only real option for a trail is an alley
We all look forward to having you down here and, bring a rain coat.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
My other white toy vvvvv
2012whitetaco is on a distinguished road

2012whitetaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've lived just south of Portland for many years. Raised my family here. If I were to do it over, I would live on the Washington side and commute to Portland. I think the Vancouver area schools are better. You can always do your shopping in Oregon and avoid the Washington sales tax.

You will be happy wherever you decide, it's a nice area with lots to do.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
jdhreiss is on a distinguished road

jdhreiss's Tacoma Gallery
vancouver/Portland

Justin - I would look at Battleground in Clark County, WA. 10 miles east of I-5, 11 miles north of Portland. Nice place - Much growth in last 5 years. Woodland, in Cowlitz County, WA. 21 miles north of Portland. The Lewis river runs through it and it is bordered on west with the columbia river. I'm a Sergeant with the Cowlitz County Sheriff's Office so if you find a specific place, let me know. Hillsboro and Beaverton have major rush hour issues.

Joe
Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhreiss View Post
Justin - I would look at Battleground in Clark County, WA. 10 miles east of I-5, 11 miles north of Portland. Nice place - Much growth in last 5 years. Woodland, in Cowlitz County, WA. 21 miles north of Portland. The Lewis river runs through it and it is bordered on west with the columbia river. I'm a Sergeant with the Cowlitz County Sheriff's Office so if you find a specific place, let me know. Hillsboro and Beaverton have major rush hour issues.

Joe
Cowlitz county is the best place to live in the area! Beaverton traffic is nuts all day long and not worth it unless you live out here. Washougal is also at the top of my list and only 10 miles from the airport. Welcome to the area!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #13

Ditto on Washougal. They are fixing(?) SR14 with roundabouts and wider bridges. Should be done in a year. It gets a little backed up on rush hours, but it's pretty laid back.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
FYI I heard recently that the Columbia I-5 bridge might turn back into a toll bridge (it received approval). Read more here

http://www.kgw.com/news/Tolls-for-Co...139407533.html
Old 01-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #15

Clark/Cowlitz County

Salmon Creek has a very good new hospital (Peace Health) and I understand Kaiser is about to build one there too. St John's hospital in Longview is questionable, at best. I just had hip surgery which I elected to have done in Sunnyside (Clackamas Co) Oregon. The hour drive was better than rolling the dice at St Johns. I don't know anyone that would recommend them. Many cop vests have "IF YOU CAN READ THIS - LIFE FLIGHT ME TO EMANUEL" written on them. They are one of the best trauma hospitals in the US. My 2 cents. Joe