Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Driving to Mt. Home, Idaho

Old 11-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
dmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud of

Air Force: Metal's Tech
dmb's Tacoma Gallery
Driving to Mt. Home, Idaho

Hey guys,
I'll be in Mt. Home, ID starting in January and will be driving my taco there from NC. My taco is a AC OR prerunner so no 4x4, but I've got some new Goodyear Duratracs on with a lift. I'll have the bed weighed down with some stuff and will be hauling a 5x8 uhaul.

Any suggestions on what to bring just incase I hit some bad weather on the trip. I've never driven thru the mid-west/west coast before. I'll be staying on the major roads. I just want to make sure I'm prepared.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
dmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud of

dmb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
bring chains
I was just thinking about that....and to bring extra ones just in case one breaks.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I drove from texas to Mt home in feb of 2008 and my prerunner did fine. It was all clear untill I got into wyoming and there was some snow. I did some donuts in the parking lot of the hotel that morning and then headed out.

other than passing the big rigs with them spraying mist everywhere the drive was easy.

Just realized you're from wichita as well. Air force?
I loved living in Idaho and would love to go back
Old 11-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #6

dmb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
I drove from texas to Mt home in feb of 2008 and my prerunner did fine. It was all clear untill I got into wyoming and there was some snow. I did some donuts in the parking lot of the hotel that morning and then headed out.

other than passing the big rigs with them spraying mist everywhere the drive was easy.

Just realized you're from wichita as well. Air force?
I loved living in Idaho and would love to go back
Haha, nice. Yes, I've got two weeks left of tech school (Metals Tech). I talked to my sponsor yesterday and it sounds like they know how to have fun up there. I can't wait to get out there.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
senojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aircraft Metals Technician (Machinist/Welder) 15th MXS Hickam AFB, HI
Name: Brandon
senojeelnodnarb's Tacoma Gallery
Im metals tech also. Im from north carolina as well. You will love your job. Im at dyess AFB right now and and have orders to hawaii in april. Good AFSC choice
Old 11-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #8

dmb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by senojeelnodnarb View Post
Im metals tech also. Im from north carolina as well. You will love your job. Im at dyess AFB right now and and have orders to hawaii in april. Good AFSC choice
Nice, where in NC?

I joined back in May with open mechanical as that was the only way in before I turned 28 in June. I got lucky and landed Metals Tech. Boy oh boy am I'm lucky. I love this job.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

As long as you like outdoors stuff you will be fine. I was hunting/fishing/shooting/ or off roading nearly every weekend. My prerunner got around everything up there just fine. I did get stuck once in some really fine sand but found someone to pull me out. I had a base model at the time with no locker though. with the OR model you should have any problems. Winter time does seem to last a while up there though. Bogus Basin is pretty fun for snowboarding, it's up in Boise.

If you dont have one you will want either a .22 or a .17hmr for whistle pig shooting the best fun you can have out there!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
senojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aircraft Metals Technician (Machinist/Welder) 15th MXS Hickam AFB, HI
Name: Brandon
senojeelnodnarb's Tacoma Gallery
You are extremely lucky you didnt get crew cheif. Or anything aircraft specific.
Im from canton. Right between ashville and Tennessee. You?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #11

dmb's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, very lucky. Wilson NC, just east of Raleigh. I used to work in Charlotte a couple years ago and would have to go up to Asheville/Boone all the time. Loved it up there. I went to college up in Bristol TN too.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #13

Quote:
I miss the mountains. Central texas is way too flat. I went to aberdeen for our tech school. Ive heard sheppard sucks
north texas is way too flat. I used to defend wichita falls/sheppard bc Im from here but Im over it. It does suck here. Not much of anything to do.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Are you a tech school instructor?
Me? no. I grew up in wichita falls, joined the AF as an ammo troop, did 4 years, and moved back to WF bc this is where my family was at and my wife was from here as well as her family.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
As long as you like outdoors stuff you will be fine. I was hunting/fishing/shooting/ or off roading nearly every weekend. My prerunner got around everything up there just fine. I did get stuck once in some really fine sand but found someone to pull me out. I had a base model at the time with no locker though. with the OR model you should have any problems. Winter time does seem to last a while up there though. Bogus Basin is pretty fun for snowboarding, it's up in Boise.

If you dont have one you will want either a .22 or a .17hmr for whistle pig shooting the best fun you can have out there!
ANd if you head two hours up to Mccall you can go skiing at brundage ski resort/ snowmobling
Old 11-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #19

Quote:
ANd if you head two hours up to Mccall you can go skiing at brundage ski resort/ snowmobling
Neontrail owns a resturant there too!

Quote:
Also, if you have quad/mx you can roll 4 hours to St Anthonys to ride in the sand.
Right outside the back gate of Mt home there are some trails called the "gravel pit". Lots of good trails/jumps for quads and dirtbikes. I always took my truck out there though
Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #20
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Good to see everyone to idaho

OP: Honestly you should be fine if you have weight in the back and chains just in case. It better be pretty bad if you are throwing on tire chains though. The roads are cleared pretty well on the highways and as long as you take it easy when there is snow on the road you will be fine. Which way are you driving in from? I think Wyoming and Colorado will be your biggest problem zones if you are passing over mountains. Have you driven in the snow much?

Let us know when you hit idaho!