Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Where to go in MT and ID?

Old 12-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Where to go in MT and ID?

Hello North Westners. I am taking a long overland/expedition trip across the U.S. this summer and I would like to start planning my route now. I'm curious if you guys have scenery in MT and ID that I can travel to off-road. I would like to off-road, hike, and camp in MT and ID so if you could offer up suggestions I'd truly appreciate it!

Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
That looks awesome!
Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Yellowstone.
yep, yellowstone was awesome when we went.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
Banff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
Banff2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Glacier National Park is beautiful as well but I do not know if they have any off road trails. Looking forward to a write up though, it should be a good one. Very beautiful states.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
Yellowstone is not in Montana or Idaho.
Yes it is.

Yellowstone is a must see. As is Glacier. The Beartooth Highway is a great drive as well.

I grew up camping in SW MT and am the current chief meet planner for the area so I know my way around lots of backroads. Do you have a route in mind (and I could suggest stops along the way) or are you just driving where ever we tell you to go? When are you planning on making the trip? Early summer or late summer? Could make a difference in where you go as it takes a while for the snow to melt in some areas.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
for Idaho I would go to
- Craters of the moon
-devil's gorge
-st Anthony dunes
-McCall lake
-coeur d'Alene lake
-Gospel mountains ( buffalo hump)
Old 01-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey, are you sure you want to get physical with me young lady.

Looks to me like YNP is in the corner of WYO.

Yes I am old man
3% is in MT and 1% in ID
Plus 3 of the 5 entrances are in MT so you almost have to come here to go there.

Now go get yourelf some prune juice
Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
Yes I am old man
3% is in MT and 1% in ID
Plus 3 of the 5 entrances are in MT so you almost have to come here to go there.

Hey now, at least I was polite. No need to get all rude, flinging the prunes and all. Besides, I'm fine with a little bit...of lime with my gin and tonic.

So what you are saying is that 96% of YNP is actually WYO. I think its pretty silly for MT and ID to even make that much claim to YNP.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:21 AM   #13
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yellowstone is not in Montana or Idaho.
Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
Yes I am old man
3% is in MT and 1% in ID

Yea..what she said..

Quote:
Hey now, at least I was polite. No need to get all rude, flinging the prunes and all. Besides, I'm fine with a little bit...of lime with my gin and tonic.

So what you are saying is that 96% of YNP is actually WYO. I think its pretty silly for MT and ID to even make that much claim to YNP.

They just have to piggy back off our awesomeness..

Yea man, if you make it to Yellowstone let me know. Im 90 miles from the East gate. Im always up for a trip and id meet you and take you on a hike or two depending on your comfort level of hike and a lunch or ice cream or whatever

also the trail we did in MT in the Fall is super fun! very easy to do but VERY fun! and has an awesome view. Its south of Big Timber. Highly recommend.