Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Washington State "Wild Roads" book

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Washington State "Wild Roads" book

Wife and I were in the Snoqualmie Falls gift shop the other day and I saw this book. Flipped through it and it looked very cool. He rates the trails and describe each one as well as give a basic map/directions.

Lived in Wa St my whole life and haven't heard of many of these trails.

I don't like to beat the piss out of my truck as it is also my daily driver, these types of scenic drives are right up my alley. You can read a preview at Amazon. It sounds like the majority of the drives are gravel with many having a high "pucker" factor as he calls it. Sounds like fun!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...pf_rd_i=507846
Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It has trails and ratings for:

Oly and Kitsap peninsulas: 15
Mt. Baker Highway: 5
North Cascades Hwy: 7
Hwy 97: 3
Hwy 2: 12
Hwy 970 and 97: 5
I-90: 8
Hwy 410: 8
Hwy 12: 6
Mt. Rainier: 3
Eastern WA: 8

It then rates each trail based on views, rating, road conditions and grade. Many of them he lists as "White knuckle" or "Valium required."

IE: #23 is Hart's Pass Road (off N. Cascades), Rating 5/5, Distance 19.3 miles, Road condition "Good" grade: Extremely Steep.

He then breaks down what each rating means: Extremely steep means sections that 2WD vehicles will struggle with. Condition of "good" means gravel with some potholes and washboards.

If you go to the Hart's pass page you get a several page breakdown of what to expect and what to see etc.

For me the wife and kids and I go camping quite a bit and love to explore. It's a book I'll throw in the truck and use quite often when we visit the coast, or the mountains.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Hmmm.. I'm going to try a sample and if it's cool, grab the Kindle version. $10 seems like a small investment if it leads to a couple cool places to visit for a meet-up.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Cool!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
lawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to all

Name: Lawson
lawless's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like just what i'm looking for. thanks for posting.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Recklessly tired

I received the book a couple of days ago and am very impressed with the diversity of the trails/roads. I'll definitely use it this summer for some day trips or spots to check out while we're camping etc. It will for sure live in my truck.

One thing I just want to give everyone a heads up on is don't expect this book to be a 4X4 off-road guide. It's true some of the trails he says are 4X4 recommended but the vast majority of them seem to be somewhat maintained forest service roads etc. However, almost all of them say "Spring/Summer" or "Spring/Fall" I assume if you visit them out of season with snow involved you could have a hell of an adventure.

It's exactly what my wife and I were looking for as a day trip for sightseeing, hiking, or just an adventure is right up our alley. Especially if it involves some minor off-roading etc.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 AM   #9
Sabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: FN
Name: Kyle
Sabre's Tacoma Gallery
subb i will be buying this
Old 04-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
m1k3gentile is on a distinguished road
Navy: AM
Name: Mike
m1k3gentile's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome dude, I just moved to Whidbey Island (Navy) and I'm really looking forward to some trials out here in the NW!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Recklessly tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k3gentile View Post
Awesome dude, I just moved to Whidbey Island (Navy) and I'm really looking forward to some trials out here in the NW!
Welcome and thank you for your service.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #12
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Sno falls? Right near my house. ill have to check this book out. Thanks man. If your ever up for checkin out the i90 section pm me My family is down.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet. I'm in on this book

Products Discussed in this Thread