Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Making a trip out to Montana - Some Q's

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Kanikas [OP] Kanikas is offline
Member
Kanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to all
 
Kanikas's Avatar
Name: Gilbert
Joined: May 2009, #17570
Location: El Paso, TX
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 65
Kanikas's Tacoma Gallery
Making a trip out to Montana - Some Q's

Hey all, my spring break starts this coming week, and I'm going to take a roadtrip up to Montana. The original plan was to leave from El Paso Saturday morning, on to Denver, spend the night at a cousin's place, then make the rest of the drive to Glacier National Park. However, another friend of mine in Salt Lake City wants to go, so the route changed from El Paso > SLC > Montana/Glacier. Either way, it's about a 23/24 hour drive.

I was just wondering if any Montanan's or people that have visited can recommend places to visit, eat, sleep and magnificent sights. Also, any tips on what to expect on the roads, weather, clothing I should take for the area/climate. Keep in mind, I'm a man born and raised in the desert, so I will be in for a bit of a change (we have mountains, forests and a cold climate a few hours from me, but I still want to be fully prepared.) I just want to experience Big Sky Country - I've always been fascinated with Montana.

I want to take my Tacoma, but it's a PreRunner, and I think that might pose a problem higher up north. If the roads/terrain require 4wd, I can just take my diesel, but if it's doable in the Taco, I'd rather that.

Thanks in advance for any help
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
MTgirl's Avatar
Name: Weesa
Joined: Sep 2009, #23531
Location: in the forest
Gender: Chick
Posts: 42,058
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanikas View Post
Hey all, my spring break starts this coming week, and I'm going to take a roadtrip up to Montana. The original plan was to leave from El Paso Saturday morning, on to Denver, spend the night at a cousin's place, then make the rest of the drive to Glacier National Park. However, another friend of mine in Salt Lake City wants to go, so the route changed from El Paso > SLC > Montana/Glacier. Either way, it's about a 23/24 hour drive.

I was just wondering if any Montanan's or people that have visited can recommend places to visit, eat, sleep and magnificent sights. Also, any tips on what to expect on the roads, weather, clothing I should take for the area/climate. Keep in mind, I'm a man born and raised in the desert, so I will be in for a bit of a change (we have mountains, forests and a cold climate a few hours from me, but I still want to be fully prepared.) I just want to experience Big Sky Country - I've always been fascinated with Montana.

I want to take my Tacoma, but it's a PreRunner, and I think that might pose a problem higher up north. If the roads/terrain require 4wd, I can just take my diesel, but if it's doable in the Taco, I'd rather that.

Thanks in advance for any help
What were you planning on doing in Glacier?

The road looks like this right now:



Access to the park is very limited in the winter as the only road is not plowed and won't be plowed until sometime in June.

Any travel within the park would be limited to cross country skis and snowshoes
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Kanikas [OP] Kanikas is offline
Member
Kanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to all
 
Kanikas's Avatar
Name: Gilbert
Joined: May 2009, #17570
Location: El Paso, TX
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 65
Kanikas's Tacoma Gallery
Oh dang, I guess Glacier is on hold Honestly, I just wanted a good escape for spring break, and I wanted to make Montana my destination. I haven't looked into it much (at all ), but I would still like to make the trip there. Glacier was just an idea, but I want to make the drive through Utah, Idaho and on into Montana.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Senior Member
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
MTgirl's Avatar
Name: Weesa
Joined: Sep 2009, #23531
Location: in the forest
Gender: Chick
Posts: 42,058
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanikas View Post
Oh dang, I guess Glacier is on hold Honestly, I just wanted a good escape for spring break, and I wanted to make Montana my destination. I haven't looked into it much (at all ), but I would still like to make the trip there. Glacier was just an idea, but I want to make the drive through Utah, Idaho and on into Montana.
here you go, lots of backroads and two lane highways. everything is plowed and maintained. the weather and roads can change in a heartbeat though

http://goo.gl/maps/913R9

from SLC head to Pocatello, Salmon, Missoula, Kalispell, Seeley Lake, Avon, Helena, Townsend, Three Forks, Belgrade, West Yellowstone, Island Park, Driggs, Jackson, Idaho Falls, SLC
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Kanikas [OP] Kanikas is offline
Member
Kanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to all
 
Kanikas's Avatar
Name: Gilbert
Joined: May 2009, #17570
Location: El Paso, TX
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 65
Kanikas's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, that's a great outline! I'll follow that route and check out as much as I can, thank you!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Beavis0076's Avatar
Name: Beavis
Joined: Feb 2012, #73234
Location: Seattle ish
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,682
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Livingston Montana is a great place to visit.
Bozeman is a blast too.. we do a family summit there yearly..
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Member
MojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMojoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Feb 2013, #97581
Location: Idaho
Gender: Male
Posts: 92
MojoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Waaaay too much for one week. You'll spend all your time just getting from place to place.

1,000 + miles?


This time of year I'd stick with Utah/Az - save Montana/Idaho for June/July



Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
here you go, lots of backroads and two lane highways. everything is plowed and maintained. the weather and roads can change in a heartbeat though

http://goo.gl/maps/913R9

from SLC head to Pocatello, Salmon, Missoula, Kalispell, Seeley Lake, Avon, Helena, Townsend, Three Forks, Belgrade, West Yellowstone, Island Park, Driggs, Jackson, Idaho Falls, SLC
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Kanikas [OP] Kanikas is offline
Member
Kanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to allKanikas is a name known to all
 
Kanikas's Avatar
Name: Gilbert
Joined: May 2009, #17570
Location: El Paso, TX
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 65
Kanikas's Tacoma Gallery
It will be a long trip, I agree. It's mostly a trip for the drive, and to see some new scenery. How frozen is Idaho and Montana right now, or is the weather okay?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Senior Member
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
kbauman92's Avatar
Name: Kyle
Joined: Jun 2012, #80132
Location: North Bend
Gender: Guy
Posts: 690
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
its off and on snow right now in bozeman, one day its 45 and sunny and the next morning it will be snowing
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Beavis0076's Avatar
Name: Beavis
Joined: Feb 2012, #73234
Location: Seattle ish
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,682
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Im off to flathead lake in 3 weeks. Rented a little cabin on the lake. Woo hoo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Beavis0076's Avatar
Name: Beavis
Joined: Feb 2012, #73234
Location: Seattle ish
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,682
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbauman92 View Post
its off and on snow right now in bozeman, one day its 45 and sunny and the next morning it will be snowing
Recognize the trail in my sig?
Fire training center exit.. Above the iron horse trail.. Been up there?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #12
Senior Member
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
kbauman92's Avatar
Name: Kyle
Joined: Jun 2012, #80132
Location: North Bend
Gender: Guy
Posts: 690
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
Recognize the trail in my sig?
Fire training center exit.. Above the iron horse trail.. Been up there?
I havent been up there, im just going to school in bozeman so i dont know where any trails are ive tried to look some up and found flathead pass, where in wshington are you from?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Beavis0076's Avatar
Name: Beavis
Joined: Feb 2012, #73234
Location: Seattle ish
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,682
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbauman92 View Post
I havent been up there, im just going to school in bozeman so i dont know where any trails are ive tried to look some up and found flathead pass, where in wshington are you from?

im in sammamish. the trail im talking about is in northbend.
My bro went to school in Bozeman, and we get together there every year.
Just rented a cabin for a few days in flathead lake Montana.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
Senior Member
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
kbauman92's Avatar
Name: Kyle
Joined: Jun 2012, #80132
Location: North Bend
Gender: Guy
Posts: 690
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
im in sammamish. the trail im talking about is in northbend.
My bro went to school in Bozeman, and we get together there every year.
Just rented a cabin for a few days in flathead lake Montana.
Nice! where is it in northbend, im sure ive been up there but theres a lot of little trails around there, ive been wanting to go check out flathead lake but im gonna wait till the weather warms up
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Beavis0076's Avatar
Name: Beavis
Joined: Feb 2012, #73234
Location: Seattle ish
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,682
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
there is an exit for the fire training center.. its before the tinkham exit. there is a little dirt road off to the right that climbs the mountains on the south side of I90.. lots of stuff to exploer up there and some cool views. I tried to go up 2 weeks ago.. still a ton of snow.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
Senior Member
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
kbauman92's Avatar
Name: Kyle
Joined: Jun 2012, #80132
Location: North Bend
Gender: Guy
Posts: 690
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
there is an exit for the fire training center.. its before the tinkham exit. there is a little dirt road off to the right that climbs the mountains on the south side of I90.. lots of stuff to exploer up there and some cool views. I tried to go up 2 weeks ago.. still a ton of snow.
oh yeah i know exactly where you are now, exit 38 i go up there all the time theres a lot of good downhill mountain bike trails up there
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Beavis0076's Avatar
Name: Beavis
Joined: Feb 2012, #73234
Location: Seattle ish
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,682
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbauman92 View Post
oh yeah i know exactly where you are now, exit 38 i go up there all the time theres a lot of good downhill mountain bike trails up there
yup, exactly the spot.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New from Montana Jbowl New Members 21 03-07-2013 05:47 PM
Making the best of a trip Mudman Travel 1 03-05-2013 03:45 PM
making a solo XC trip in the taco...recommendations where to stop and stay? hamNswiss on rye 2nd Gen. Tacomas 0 05-03-2011 04:00 PM
well, making first dealer trip danteisme 2nd Gen. Tacomas 2 07-11-2009 11:45 AM
New here from Montana taco98wrench New Members 1 03-25-2009 06:26 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.