Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Studded tires?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
iliketurtles's Tacoma Gallery
Studded tires?

I'll be relocating to the Portland, Or area soon and I was told by someone who currently lives up there that I should get studded tires when I get up there. What is your guys opinion? Not just for my truck, but my wife's car too. I didn't think the Portland area got enough ice/snow to necessitate studded tires.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Corrections
Name: Robert
04tacomarob's Tacoma Gallery
I lived there till I was 12 and visit every year or every other. Not really any need for them.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
iliketurtles's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. Anyone else?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed
13Greysled's Tacoma Gallery
Wester pac nw doesnt get much, so some good allterains should do you fine.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I'll be relocating to the Portland, Or area soon and I was told by someone who currently lives up there that I should get studded tires when I get up there. What is your guys opinion? Not just for my truck, but my wife's car too. I didn't think the Portland area got enough ice/snow to necessitate studded tires.
Please do not get studded tires, whoever told you that you need them in Portland has no idea what they're talking about, or is a terrible driver. All studs do in western WA and OR, is ruin the roads.

Unless you're driving to the mountains a lot, you don't even need snow tires, a good radial that performs well in wet conditions is ideal. If you do decide you need snow tires, a studless snow tire will outperform a studded tire around here any day.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Please do not get studded tires, whoever told you that you need them in Portland has no idea what they're talking about, or is a terrible driver.
Oh come on. Portland is not built for ice.
I saw a mustang on an offramp one winter who wasn't going anywhere without a tow.
In Aloha, Oregon, I did a 5mph slide from SW Kinnaman onto SW 198th a few hundred feet because I had no grip and it was too steep.

Now, those days are also few and far between.

You would probably seriously need snow tires for one week every 3 years or so.
My dad drives a 120 mile round trip commute of I-5 for work, and the snow days are typically ice days. The offramps and odd cloverleafs really call for something that can fight that ice.

really, just stay home on those days.