Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Imnaha

Old 05-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Imnaha

This is the trip report from this past weekends trip through three states. I was able to drive one amazing road after another both paved and not paved. I hope you enjoy!

The meeting point for the trip was Clarkston Washington. I took the opportunity to take a detour as Mike was running a bit late. I took a road called "The Old Spiral Highway". It was appropriately named and a blast to work my way down to the valley. The view wasn't bad either.

Day 1:
We made our way east into Lewiston and on south towards McCall. I decided we needed to take another detour as there was a road i had been eyeing for a couple years now. It was well worth the wait. The road meanders down a ridge from the top of White Bird Pass all the way down to the valley below to the town of White Bird. We had the road to ourselves besides some cattle.

Typical Idaho traffic.

From there we followed along the Salmon River continuing south until we reached the little town of Riggins Idaho. It is popular among the white-water rafting folk which we did see some rafters on the water. We took a small detour and followed the Salmon east a ways.

We were getting hungry so we didn't get too far down the river before we turned back to the main highway to get to Chef Geoff's for lunch. As expected Geoff was more than hospitable and took great care of us for lunch. For those that ever stumble in there the Chipotle Chicken Tacos are superb. The pulled pork sandwiches he sent us on the road with were a very very close second to the tacos. Thanks again Geoff!

We said our goodbyes and hit the road hard as we needed to get into Oregon and set up camp before dark. We made our way into Hells Canyon via ID71. We dropped down a long ways into the canyon bottom and made our way down river on the Oregon side of Hells Canyon. Passed by the Brown Lee and the Oxbow dam and even got to go through a cool old tunnel.

We continued dowstream to Hess Road. We had no clue of we could make it to the top but theres only one way to find out. The climb on this road was very steep.

The benefit was that the view got incredible very quickly.

Eventually at the top we rejoined the highway and took a side trip to the Hells Canyon overlook. Then it was time to drop into the next valley to make camp along the Imnaha River.

Had a deer come right up to our campfire too. Of course neither of us had our cameras near by.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Day 2:
We made it on the road by 10:30 and it wasn't long till we were in for a surprise. We came across a house where there were well over a dozen peacocks hanging around. Beautiful birds and completely random. I certainly did not expect to see that on this trip!

Also saw plenty of deer along the way

The Imnaha is a pretty River to follow

I found my next mod

At about this time we stated to get rained on. It wasn't bad and there was lots to see along the way. I enjoyed the old machinery and trucks just left to rot in the valley like this old White logging truck. A rare truck.

Also found what was left of an old GMC

Mike's usual solute in the drizzle

By the time we made it to the village of Imnaha the rain ceased. I got a kick at how small the post office is.

Pavement led to dirt and we soon were climbing high over the Imnaha River.

Our goal was to make it to Dug Bar many miles at the end of the road and hopefully make it back in time to explore hat point.

We peeled away from the Imnaha and climbed over a saddle as we continued north to Dug Bar. The weather began to deteriorate quickly

At the top of the saddle was a spur road that was used to service the telephone poles they strung through the canyon. When we made it out to the cliff edge, the wind was howling and the rain flying sideways. The view of the Snake River though, made it oh so worth it. If you look deep in the back of the canyon you can see the Imnaha River running into the Snake.

We soldiered on and by the time we made it to Dug Bar it was a complete downpour.

We realized then that we wouldn't have time to make it to Hat Point this trip. Instead, we put the hammer down and made our way back to the Imnaha River to make camp alongside it. The road now way just covered in water.

When we made it to the top of the saddle and the weather had cleared up a bit.

Mike spotted the overgrown entrance that led us down to an incredible campsite alongside the Imnaha River. We made camp and soon were working to stay dry as the rain came through once again.

Mike was very proud of our fire as it stayed roaring and hot all through the rain.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Professional Web Wheeler

Day 3:
Luckily the rain had stopped before we stumbled to bed and we were greeted with blue skies in the morning

We reached pavement again and soon were in Enterprise Oregon. We grabbed lunch, switch off the CB's and said our good byes. Mike went west, I went north. Little did i know the awesome road I had still to drive. First i was interrupted by a lone elk.

Then the road unfolded before me

Across the river and up the other side of the canyon

Overall the trip was incredible. Awesome roads, awesome views and awesome company. They rain was an inconvenience but we didn't let it get in the way of the trip. I hope you enjoy the pictures. Thanks for looking.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Professional Web Wheeler

extra
Old 05-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome looking road. But wtf is Imnaha?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMoose View Post
Awesome looking road. But wtf is Imnaha?
You didn't read did you?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
I like the plow pic, I'll bet that thing weighs more than the Taco though. haha

Nice pics and trip report, although I will admit I skimmed through the reading... haha
Old 05-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
Hailing from the land of bucking broncos...
farmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shedfarmerjon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: farmerjon
farmerjon's Tacoma Gallery
VERY COOL pics Ben! Thanks for the narrative (yes, I read it all) and the pics! I'm jealous of those roads, I love to drive a challenge in my 4Runner, looks epic! and wet haha.

Thanks for sharing, man!
Old 05-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
awesome!
Old 05-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
You didn't read did you?
Course not.

edit. oooooh itza rivva
Old 05-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Grumpy old man - get off my lawn
rleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant future
Name: Roger
rleete's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. Beautiful pictures.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
I like the plow pic, I'll bet that thing weighs more than the Taco though. haha

Nice pics and trip report, although I will admit I skimmed through the reading... haha
Your loss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
very nice./

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjon View Post
VERY COOL pics Ben! Thanks for the narrative (yes, I read it all) and the pics! I'm jealous of those roads, I love to drive a challenge in my 4Runner, looks epic! and wet haha.

Thanks for sharing, man!
Thanks for reading!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleete View Post
Wow. Beautiful pictures.
Thanks!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet. That plow pic needs to be your new sig. And we need to talk about that tarp under my *cough cough* your tent.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
very cool
Old 05-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #19
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Aweome! Love reading trip reports! Thank you for putting the time into throwing this out there for the rest of us.