Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

New Blue Taco in Portland... Any suggestions for a good mtn road day trip?

Old 07-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #21
Taco4Max has a spectacular aura aboutTaco4Max has a spectacular aura about
Name: Max
Taco4Max's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTacoma02 View Post
Monday 5th? I'll be busy that day. Daughters last day of ballet class. By all means do not let that stop you guys from going on the 5th if that works out better for others.
I'm flexible, so not set on that day.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #23
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco4Max View Post
I'm flexible, so not set on that day.
Right on. Well let us know..I need to pick up a permit as mine expired
Old 07-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #24
Willie64
willie64 is on a distinguished road

Name: willie64
willie64's Tacoma Gallery
Ditto to what everyone else has said. however, out east around Esticada area there are some places to go, too. Get a map of the Mt Hood Wilderness area at the ranger station (mine's really old, about 2003, and I need an update). There are plenty of 'general' roads and some good trails.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #25
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Totally forgot I'm still rocking OEM shocks + spacers while waiting on Camburg to rebuild and ship back my Camburg coilovers. If I get my Camburgs before you guys go, I'm down. If not, I'll sit out until the next run.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #26
Fivespeed is on a distinguished road
Navy: EN2
Fivespeed's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still available whenever you are for the most part, Taco4Max. I won't have my buddy that usually rides along as navigator with me so it may be a slow process on finding trails. I see a lot of guys post pics of Cedar tree (the tree you go under?) and I have yet to find that..I've been up to Browns 3 times now. I usually start at the green trail next to the staging area and go from there.

I've been up to Estacada area 2-3 times as well starting at forest road 4610 and I haven't personally found any trails only forest road after forest road.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
the staging area you are referring to is most likely Roger's staging (as you go east towards camp, you take an immediate left to go north).
Brown's staging is just outside camp proper.

The green trail is fairly short, doesn't appear on the map (from what I can remember), and just leads to some access roads. If you can navigate them, you can get to the green trail which is Brown's road, which is a back entrance into camp.

Cedar Tree is past the gun pit and off to the south east.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #28
Fivespeed is on a distinguished road
Navy: EN2
Fivespeed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
the staging area you are referring to is most likely Roger's staging (as you go east towards camp, you take an immediate left to go north).
Brown's staging is just outside camp proper.

The green trail is fairly short, doesn't appear on the map (from what I can remember), and just leads to some access roads. If you can navigate them, you can get to the green trail which is Brown's road, which is a back entrance into camp.

Cedar Tree is past the gun pit and off to the south east.
TSF map shows Roger's staging/camp area right next to hwy 6(Wilson River HWY) and I always travel down a gravel road for about 5-10 minutes before reaching the staging area. I'm going to assume it is Browns camp staging area that I stop at. What throws me off is that nowhere on the TSF map does it show Saddle Mountain rd attached to hwy 6 that I can find. My Google maps says I take Saddle Mountain off hwy 6 to reach Browns staging area.

According to the TSF map, Saddle Mountain rd is south of Browns Camp staging. Also my Google maps shows FBI rd next to hwy 6 as well and I don't see that on the TSF map lol.

PS: I'm terrible with maps and this confusion is why I let my buddy figure it out lol

Edit: After comparing the TSF map to the Google map some more it looks like I come in on Beaver Dam rd (on the TSF map) and then take a left onto Scoggins and an immediate right onto OHV trail 4A which is an easy part of Powerline located next to Browns Camp staging area.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #29
Taco4Max has a spectacular aura aboutTaco4Max has a spectacular aura about
Name: Max
Taco4Max's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivespeed View Post
I'm still available whenever you are for the most part, Taco4Max. I won't have my buddy that usually rides along as navigator with me so it may be a slow process on finding trails. I see a lot of guys post pics of Cedar tree (the tree you go under?) and I have yet to find that..I've been up to Browns 3 times now. I usually start at the green trail next to the staging area and go from there.

I've been up to Estacada area 2-3 times as well starting at forest road 4610 and I haven't personally found any trails only forest road after forest road.
Sure, like I said I am flexible, just let me know what day works for you.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #30
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
a late welcome to TW.

It sounds like another TSF/TW trip is needed for Sep. or so.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #31
fka unregistered lurker...
munkel is on a distinguished road

munkel's Tacoma Gallery
I'd love to get in on the next mild trail run. Need some mild trails to start on to build my skill level. I'm only available weekends or holidays though. If it happens to fall on a weekend I'm in.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #32
fka unregistered lurker...
munkel is on a distinguished road

munkel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post

Barlow Toll Road is a very easy one.
From the sounds of it this may be one I can take the wife and daughter on, been scouring the internet for info. Finding conflicting info on how long the road really is though, I think some people quote mileage as out and back, others as one way. Any input? I might have to just take the dual sport and run it in advance to scout it out. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #33
QuesoTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
QuesoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've been to Browns camp twice and my taco is a completely stock 2003...I have done almost all the moderate trails with no problems, sure I bumped the skid plate a few times and brushed a tree with my bumper to squeeze through a tight turn but with some guidance through the hairy parts it handled the trails no problem. And since I don't have a portable air compressor, I left my tires at street pressure too.
once i get my new suspension installed and bigger tires i will be ready to go again; if anyone wants to do a Sunday night-Tuesday trip I'm definitely in.