Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

4 Bangers in the PNW

Old 10-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
spaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to behold

Army: 3/8 CAV 1CD
Name: Sam
spaulding88's Tacoma Gallery
4 Bangers in the PNW

How many people in the Pacific North West own 2.7L 4x4's, and how many feel the power is adequate for all the hills and mountains?

Looking at getting a 2.7l, but want to know if I would be better off with a V6 instead.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
This one is a 2.7L, but he did just add a S/C to it...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...oma-build.html
Old 10-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
spaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
This one is a 2.7L, but he did just add a S/C to it...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...oma-build.html
I would be using the truck as a daily driver/ hunting and part time weekend wheeler.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Prepare to rev it high if you go with the 2.7L . I'd recommend the v6 since you'll be behind the wheel so much.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #5

Yeah I think the V6 will be more up my alley. I'm just ready to get back into a tacoma again.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed
13Greysled's Tacoma Gallery
Personal preference. If you drive in a very hilly town/city, it might get annoying having to work to get up to speed a lil, but more flats, they do fine. I have the 2.7 and I deal with Seattle hills all the time, just learned to deal with it. I do like 20mpg city though :-)
Old 10-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaulding88 View Post
I would be using the truck as a daily driver/ hunting and part time weekend wheeler.
His is also his Daily driver. haha
Old 10-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
MRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bucky
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
I live on Kent's East Hill. Drive up/down the hill to work in the valley every day. Drive to/through downtown Seattle every weekend. I have no problem climbing hills or keeping up with traffic. lifetime MPG is sitting right around 21 (mostly city).

Without a load- just me and gf and daypacks- I've averaged 24+ on roundtrip to Westport..... with a heavy foot.

Twice done the 305 mile trek to Republic, Wa loaded with 500+ lbs of camping gear/food/supplies, 200+lb snugtop and a passenger with no problem. This year's (round)trip averaged 22+mpg.... thats fully loaded over tiger mountain (meh), Snoqualmie Pass, Blewett Pass, Wauconda Pass, in 100* temps from Wenatchee to Republic and at speeds perhaps slightly above posted limits. I certainly wont tell you that with the mentioned load it has a top speed in 5th of 87mph, or that in 4th it'll do 89... nope, cause I would never test those limits...

So, can it handle DD duty in this hilly region? yes. Can it pull the mountain passes at 70+? yes. Can it do so with a load? yes. Will it have an abundance of passing power under those conditions? hah!

I'm happy with mine, but I dont intend to do much towing (parents' 1000lb skiboat/trailer at most). Someday I'll get my Chevy II back on the road should I need to satisfy a craving for speed.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #10
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJ View Post
I live on Kent's East Hill. Drive up/down the hill to work in the valley every day. Drive to/through downtown Seattle every weekend. I have no problem climbing hills or keeping up with traffic. lifetime MPG is sitting right around 21 (mostly city).

Without a load- just me and gf and daypacks- I've averaged 24+ on roundtrip to Westport..... with a heavy foot.

Twice done the 305 mile trek to Republic, Wa loaded with 500+ lbs of camping gear/food/supplies, 200+lb snugtop and a passenger with no problem. This year's (round)trip averaged 22+mpg.... thats fully loaded over tiger mountain (meh), Snoqualmie Pass, Blewett Pass, Wauconda Pass, in 100* temps from Wenatchee to Republic and at speeds perhaps slightly above posted limits. I certainly wont tell you that with the mentioned load it has a top speed in 5th of 87mph, or that in 4th it'll do 89... nope, cause I would never test those limits...

So, can it handle DD duty in this hilly region? yes. Can it pull the mountain passes at 70+? yes. Can it do so with a load? yes. Will it have an abundance of passing power under those conditions? hah!

I'm happy with mine, but I dont intend to do much towing (parents' 1000lb skiboat/trailer at most). Someday I'll get my Chevy II back on the road should I need to satisfy a craving for speed.
Are you using jet fuel or what? I have to keep it in fourth gear wide open going 60 up snoqualmie, when it's got nothing in the truck
Old 10-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
MRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bucky
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Are you using jet fuel or what? I have to keep it in fourth gear wide open going 60 up snoqualmie, when it's got nothing in the truck
I didn't say it was in 5th the whole time. but it's far from wide open when it is in 4th.

And I've actually never run anything but regular unleaded in it.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Greysled View Post
Personal preference. If you drive in a very hilly town/city, it might get annoying having to work to get up to speed a lil, but more flats, they do fine. I have the 2.7 and I deal with Seattle hills all the time, just learned to deal with it. I do like 20mpg city though :-)
The largest thing I will likely ever pull is an 18ft Bass boat. I don't plan on doing a crazy build with this truck, just the basics i.e. 3" lift and some 265/75's and some weight appropriate trail armor.

I just want to average better fuel millage than my old 08 DC.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
QuesoTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
QuesoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2.7; it has enough juice, but it would be nice to have a little more. I can do some good wheeling with stock suspension and a couple hundred pounds of gear in the bed.
But, in the city it would be nice getting up some of the steeper hills faster.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #14
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaulding88 View Post
The largest thing I will likely ever pull is an 18ft Bass boat. I don't plan on doing a crazy build with this truck, just the basics i.e. 3" lift and some 265/75's and some weight appropriate trail armor.

I just want to average better fuel millage than my old 08 DC.
with that being said.. get the 4.0 v6. you will be much happier. the 4 banger does not get that much better fuel mileage.. especially if your are beating the snot out of it to keep up.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
what are you in right now OP?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
maximilian55 is on a distinguished road
Name: max
maximilian55's Tacoma Gallery
the 2.7 is a great engine. Ive got 280k on mine and it still runs strong and never gave me a problem. It'll do everthing fine, just might take you time. But if you want to get more power and give up a few mpg then go with the 3.4.

I dont remember the exact numbers, but I know there is only a slight difference in mpg differences. If you really wanna save all the gas you can, then go 2.7. But if your not too worried about it, and want something more fun then go with the 3.4.

(If you plan on putting 33s on the 2.7, youll definitly want to regear. I have stock gears with 33s. It gets me around, but i just have to keep it at higher rpms.)
Old 12-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
searchgeek
sportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsguy's Tacoma Gallery
It's safe to say I now want a URD S/C for my reg cab... With the Wrangler MTRs already on, the S/C would top up the fun factor and make commuting much more fun...
Old 12-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #18
RyanC is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
RyanC's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 95 with the 2.7l with 230k, 33's, a 5 speed, a canopy, a full size spare, a hi-lift, and a few tools. it is regeared (not sure to what though) Is it under powered? yes, is it slow yeah its somewhat slow. If you are a good driver its really not that bad though, you can learn how to keep speed up and stay with traffic. I very regularly make the trip between Tacoma and Ellensburg and it does just fine up and down the pass.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
MonStar
Koov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Koov's Tacoma Gallery
Drive both and see what feels best. I opted for the V6, the 2.7 was just a bit underpowered and I did not like the way it drove. I use my truck as DD and lots of camping and road trips.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #20
cosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
cosmicfires's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2009 2.7L and live in the N.W. Power is more than adequate. It is necessary to gear down for steeper grades, this is why we have transmissions. I have no problem with it's power if I use the correct gear.