Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Portland - What is the best way to find good IT jobs

Old 10-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Phlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Phlip4x4Sport's Tacoma Gallery
Portland - What is the best way to find good IT jobs

Hello Tacoma World. I am looking to relocate from Los Angeles, CA to OR. Most likely Bend or Portland becuase I know those areas but I am open to learning of or visiting another area if it is recommended.

What is the best source for finding jobs? Word of mouth? Craigslist? Head hunter?

I have 20+ years in IT. Specialty is systems but have done everything from wiring to multistate point to point VPNs on the networking side. Prefer small to medium business over fortune 500.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Phil
Old 10-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
It's about who you know, primarily.
Otherwise, hit up all the standard website channels and start plowin' the searches.
Talk in the IT BS thread in this forum to see if anyone has something.

Just make sure you don't take mah jerb!

Old 10-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Phlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
It's about who you know, primarily.
Otherwise, hit up all the standard website channels and start plowin' the searches.
Talk in the IT BS thread in this forum to see if anyone has something.

Just make sure you don't take mah jerb!

Thanks for the clues!

BTW.. I am hoping not to take anyones job! I got out of Fortune 500 consulting in ~year 2000 for just that reason. Nothing more than a headcount hide to "save money" so someone got a bonus.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
jammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant future

Name: James
jammdogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jammdogg
In Bend, St Charles Med Center (Maybe Peacehealth now) is the one of the bigger ones. Not sure how well the economy is doing from a SMB standpoint.

As the Chicken said, check Dice, Indeed, Monster and Linkedin. I still get calls for contract to perm jobs.

You might also try a local recruiter.

Good Luck, hope to see you at a meet here in the PNW!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammdogg View Post
In Bend, St Charles Med Center (Maybe Peacehealth now) is the one of the bigger ones. Not sure how well the economy is doing from a SMB standpoint.

As the Chicken said, check Dice, Indeed, Monster and Linkedin. I still get calls for contract to perm jobs.

You might also try a local recruiter.

Good Luck, hope to see you at a meet here in the PNW!
Thanks Jammdogg!

scmc.org is one of the ones I have found. I am looking for contacts inside of companies like that, Bend Research, etc... I have sent out resumes but not even a call back. I hope that if I can get a word of mouth mention they might look at my resume twice.

Do you know any local recruiters? I can find the large national ones but I would prefer a small local one.

Hope to see you soon!