1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving to Eugene, OR: Truck Prep?

Discussion in 'North West' started by teehext, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Feb 23, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    teehext

teehext [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner SR5
    Just got my acceptance to U of O so I'll be transferring there next Fall. When I bought my 2001 Prerunner 6 months ago I didn't think I would miss the 4wd haha. I'm planning on coating the frame because it hasn't been done yet, and I'll be making the drive from LA so I'll do general maintenance stuff before I go. I've heard a couple sandbags in the bed can help with traction. Any other tips on making my truck winter-worthy?

IMG_4690_zps79a43ce4_285d37d2de4a492d1f8df188187f1c8c3f7069d9.jpg

2. Feb 23, 2014 at 8:40 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    No matter what you see, reduce speed and drive as if the road is slippery... at all times. You may even get better fuel economy, too. You may need a dedicated set of ice tires.

3. Feb 23, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    FalloutMaster

FalloutMaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD SR5
    Grillcraft insert, partial debadge, Toyota tailgate decal, Fog light mod, Anzo headlights, '98 tail lights
    Like ^ said, ice/snow tires are a necessity, especially if you don't have 4wd. And yeah putting some extra weight in the bed gives you better traction and can help with really slippery conditions. One thing you can't do since you have an auto trans is to start in second gear, you get less torque and are forced to start slower so that usually helps too.

4. Mar 12, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    Stribb

Stribb FNG

Member:
    Nowhere, MT
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OFF ROAD, S/C
    TRD OFF ROAD, SUPERCHARGER, 6 SPEED SHORT THROW, ICON STAGE 3, RIGID LIGHTING, LEER TOPPER, LED FOG/BACKUP LIGHTING,
    Use a good amount of weight close to the wheel well. If they allow studded tires in that state you may consider that as well. I put parking blocks on each side, they are heavy and distribute the weight well.

5. Mar 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    studded tires are allowed between certain months. Snow and ice are usually one or two days out of the year, so buying dedicated tires is not really needed. If you live on campus or nearby, and you feel that conditions are too nasty for driving, you can pretty much walk anywhere you need or grab a ride with a friend.

Easy on the gas, easy on the turns, assume braking takes 2x longer... be careful on hills (for the most part Eugene is pretty flat).

I believe the BFG A/Ts you have are a snow rated tire, so no need for buying something else when they call for "snow or traction tires required"

If you have a rear locker, do not engage it. A locker will do two things in snow/ice - make the rear sway around, or walk you sideways downhill.

If you are stuck, the locker might help, but it's really depending on the situation.
    If you are stuck, excessive wheel spin is an enemy. Being able to creep around is what you want. You can also put your foot on the brake a bit and give it some gas to help.

In fresh/deep snow, airing down can be very helpful. Depending on the tire, this can be around 8-12 psi.

Despite what other people might say, 4x4 is not necessary unless you are going offroad. Borrowing from what I've said in the past:

If all you are doing is going to a snow park or a ski resort, the roads are generally plowed and you can move around with chains. My dad has a 2WD Dodge Diesel 2500 on Michelin LTX M/S and never airs down. He gets stuck in the yard all the time, but we've taken the truck to Timberline and Bachelor on several occasions with no problem with NO chains and just a bit of sand in the back.

6. Mar 12, 2014 at 2:42 PM
    brochacho

brochacho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner SR5
    This was a pretty rare year for the amount of snow we had here in Oregon. Honestly we only get it once or twice a year in valley areas. I wouldnt go crazy spending money on stuff you probably only need a couple times. Also Oregon doesnt use salt or chemicals on the roads so undercoating isnt really needed either.

7. Mar 12, 2014 at 2:47 PM
    4runnercaged

4runnercaged Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cody
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    LOL
    98 toyota tacoma, stock

never hurts to under coat the truck anyways though.

since you already planned on doing it, id do that.

remember, if your stuck and dont know what to do. there is snow all around you to put in the bed of your truck for weight.

8. Mar 12, 2014 at 2:55 PM
    RJ MacReady

RJ MacReady professional trousersnake charmer

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ/Mike Hauncho/HeavyHands
    US OUTPOST North 31-Mayday Mayday! We've found som
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner 4WD LTD - Cheatin' Bitch Build 2
    Cheatin' bitch build 2: All stock for now... 99' Tacoma 4wd TRD Cheatin' bitch build 1: BG44K additive, motul 5w40(always), deckplate mod, K&N washable air filter, 2.5" flow master(cut thanks to Airdog), king fronts 2.5", all pro standard leaf pk, stainless steel rear ext brakeline, 5125's 10" travel rears, 4-jasper offroad 6" pod LED spot lights, secret compartment for small bottle of wild turkey, cobra CB, Hi-lift jack w/locking bed mount, hi lift curved bumper lift & road base plate, smittybuilt X20 winch, wab fab F&R bumpers w/ hitch receivers, smittybuilt 4in1 recov tool, 10gal mini flamethrower, 11 lbs dynamite sticks, 13 4-hr snowflares, .50Cal full auto mounted machine gun w/ RPG unit & a shitoad of death metal to fuckstart your brain...everything you need for first contact with a shape-shifting alien entity frozen for over 100,000 years reanimated & immitating all life it engulfs.
    get a decent set of snow chains too!
    powder gets a bit nasty up there.
    also, i would do the no freeze fluids just to be safe.

most importantly, CONGRATS ON STARTING YOUR COLLEGE ADVENTURE!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top