Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Moving to Eugene, OR: Truck Prep?

Old 02-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
teehext is on a distinguished road

Name: Tyler
teehext's Tacoma Gallery
Moving to Eugene, OR: Truck Prep?

Just got my acceptance to U of O so I'll be transferring there next Fall. When I bought my 2001 Prerunner 6 months ago I didn't think I would miss the 4wd haha. I'm planning on coating the frame because it hasn't been done yet, and I'll be making the drive from LA so I'll do general maintenance stuff before I go. I've heard a couple sandbags in the bed can help with traction. Any other tips on making my truck winter-worthy?

Old 02-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
No matter what you see, reduce speed and drive as if the road is slippery... at all times. You may even get better fuel economy, too. You may need a dedicated set of ice tires.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
FalloutMaster is on a distinguished road

FalloutMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Like ^ said, ice/snow tires are a necessity, especially if you don't have 4wd. And yeah putting some extra weight in the bed gives you better traction and can help with really slippery conditions. One thing you can't do since you have an auto trans is to start in second gear, you get less torque and are forced to start slower so that usually helps too.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
FNG
Stribb is on a distinguished road
Army: Crew Chief UH-60
Stribb's Tacoma Gallery
Use a good amount of weight close to the wheel well. If they allow studded tires in that state you may consider that as well. I put parking blocks on each side, they are heavy and distribute the weight well.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
studded tires are allowed between certain months. Snow and ice are usually one or two days out of the year, so buying dedicated tires is not really needed. If you live on campus or nearby, and you feel that conditions are too nasty for driving, you can pretty much walk anywhere you need or grab a ride with a friend.

Easy on the gas, easy on the turns, assume braking takes 2x longer... be careful on hills (for the most part Eugene is pretty flat).

I believe the BFG A/Ts you have are a snow rated tire, so no need for buying something else when they call for "snow or traction tires required"

If you have a rear locker, do not engage it. A locker will do two things in snow/ice - make the rear sway around, or walk you sideways downhill.

If you are stuck, the locker might help, but it's really depending on the situation.
If you are stuck, excessive wheel spin is an enemy. Being able to creep around is what you want. You can also put your foot on the brake a bit and give it some gas to help.

In fresh/deep snow, airing down can be very helpful. Depending on the tire, this can be around 8-12 psi.

Despite what other people might say, 4x4 is not necessary unless you are going offroad. Borrowing from what I've said in the past:

If all you are doing is going to a snow park or a ski resort, the roads are generally plowed and you can move around with chains. My dad has a 2WD Dodge Diesel 2500 on Michelin LTX M/S and never airs down. He gets stuck in the yard all the time, but we've taken the truck to Timberline and Bachelor on several occasions with no problem with NO chains and just a bit of sand in the back.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
brochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud of

Name: Ryan
brochacho's Tacoma Gallery
This was a pretty rare year for the amount of snow we had here in Oregon. Honestly we only get it once or twice a year in valley areas. I wouldnt go crazy spending money on stuff you probably only need a couple times. Also Oregon doesnt use salt or chemicals on the roads so undercoating isnt really needed either.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
SPEEDY CRAWLER
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: cody
4runnercaged's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brochacho View Post
This was a pretty rare year for the amount of snow we had here in Oregon. Honestly we only get it once or twice a year in valley areas. I wouldnt go crazy spending money on stuff you probably only need a couple times. Also Oregon doesnt use salt or chemicals on the roads so undercoating isnt really needed either.

never hurts to under coat the truck anyways though.

since you already planned on doing it, id do that.

remember, if your stuck and dont know what to do. there is snow all around you to put in the bed of your truck for weight.