1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lost Corner Exploration

Discussion in 'North West' started by Smar969905, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Jul 19, 2014 at 8:50 AM
    Smar969905

Smar969905 [OP] ToyotaLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Deer Park, WA
    Vehicle:
    96 Dodge 12valve cummins- mine, 16 T4R - wife's, 11 Taco - totalled
    Fixed.

Will, I like the idea of starting in Packwood still. I am going to see family on the west side right before this trip. Also, everybody else except Charles is coming from the west side as well (at least I am assuming that Cody is west OR).

Also, I was talking to the photographer for my sister in laws wedding, and he may be coming with his wife in their Lexus land cruiser.

2. Jul 19, 2014 at 1:03 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    Ok sounds good. Makes no difference to me at all I just like to start controversy :)

3. Jul 19, 2014 at 5:07 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    I am west side or. Also did some reading sounds like Oregon goers need to purchase a discovery pass

4. Jul 19, 2014 at 9:28 PM
    Smar969905

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Deer Park, WA
    Vehicle:
    If a discovery pass is required, it is both OR and WA people. Do you have a link that for where it says discovery pass required?

5. Jul 19, 2014 at 9:33 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
  6. Jul 19, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    Where will I need the Discover Pass?

Q. Where will I need a Discover Pass?
    A. The pass is required on state recreation lands and water-access sites managed by Washington State Parks (State Parks), Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR). These lands include state parks, water-access points, heritage sites, wildlife and natural areas, DNR and WDFW campgrounds, trails and trailheads and all DNR managed uplands (natural areas and trustlands, but not aquatic lands

7. Jul 19, 2014 at 9:59 PM
    Smar969905

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Deer Park, WA
    Vehicle:
    Just to be sure, I shot an email off about this to the appropriate state department.

If we do need them, it is $35 per vehicle, available online, and if you order late, you can print off a page to show purchase until the actual pass arrives.

8. Jul 19, 2014 at 10:37 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    Good call Zach. I nearly bought one this morning but forgot about it til now

9. Jul 20, 2014 at 10:59 PM
    AWilson013

AWilson013 Almighty Dirt King

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX 470 Sport
    Matte Grey SCS F5s - 255/80R17 ST Maxx - Front Runner Slimline II - CVT Tent/Awning - 35w Morimoto HID Low Beams - LED High Beams - LED Fogs - AFE Dry Filter - BP-51s - Dirt King UCAs
    I have the WABDR map from Touratech. Well worth the purchase. They're local, so it ships FAST. I got mine next day.

10. Jul 21, 2014 at 8:33 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    Sweet.

Zach any word?

11. Jul 22, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    Smar969905

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Deer Park, WA
    Vehicle:
    Just got email this morning.

Depending on where we park each night, we may need the pass.

12. Jul 22, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    hmm

am i reading things correctly ?

13. Jul 22, 2014 at 9:11 AM
    13Greysled

13Greysled Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    13' Taco
    Tint
    Need to make sure which pass is required on the land we will be as well. Either Discovery pass for state land or National Forest pass for federal.

14. Jul 22, 2014 at 9:37 AM
    AWilson013

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX 470 Sport
    Matte Grey SCS F5s - 255/80R17 ST Maxx - Front Runner Slimline II - CVT Tent/Awning - 35w Morimoto HID Low Beams - LED High Beams - LED Fogs - AFE Dry Filter - BP-51s - Dirt King UCAs
    HIGHLY doubt I will be buying any passes. I have made it 5 years exploring around here without one.

15. Jul 22, 2014 at 10:26 AM
    Benson X

Benson X My build thread sucks...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    If you don't draw blood, you're doing it wrong!
    WABDR FAQs (taken from the website)

What is the WABDR?
    The Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR) is a mostly off-road route from Oregon, USA to British Columbia, Canada. The South to North route winds through the Cascade Mountains and some arid landscapes in the foothills of Eastern Washington. The roads include dirt, gravel, and pavement surfaces and may include rocks, ruts, sand, mud and snow depending on time of year and conditions. The route can be completed in 4-6 days depending on pace, and is also accessible by four-wheel drive vehicles, as the entire route is at least double-track.

How far between gas stops?
    The longest gap between gas stations is approximately 122 miles from Packwood to Ellensburg, unless you stop for gas in Nile Valley on Hwy 410. The next longest section is 120 miles between Stevenson and Packwood. Premium fuel is available in Stevenson, Packwood, Ellensburg, Cashmere, Leavenworth, Chelan, Twisp, Omak and Oroville. Low octane gas is available in Carlton, Nile, Ardenvoir and Conconully. The elevation chart on the WABDR Butler Map includes all the mileage details and fuel locations.

Can I have a camp fire?
    Check with local Ranger Stations to determine if campfires are allowed before you build one. Forest fires are a threat during parts of the year and the rules that manage this risk must be followed. Be sure to fully extinguish fires so they are DEAD-OUT. Use water to ensure a fire is fully extinguished and the ground is left cool and wet.

Where do I camp?
    There are many campgrounds and suitable dry camping locations along the route. The Butler Motorcycle Map for the WABDR has a tent icon showing campgrounds on the route and many near the route. The WABDR Butler Map is available through Touratech-USA and Butler Maps. In addition, the Wenatchee, Okanogan, and Gifford Pinchot National forest maps show a tent icon for all campgrounds. These maps are available at www.naturenw.org and local Ranger Stations. Make sure to leave all camp locations clean and safe for the next user.

Do I have to Camp?
    No, you can complete the WABDR using hotels and restaurants fairly easily. Hotels, restaurants and grocery stores are available in Stevenson, Packwood, Ellensburg, Cashmere, Leavenworth, Chelan, Twisp, Omak and Oroville. Limited accommodations are also available in Conconully.

Is there water on the route?
    You can find potable water in the towns along the way, or use a filtration system and source the water from creeks and springs along the route. The National Forest maps are a good resource for finding suitable creeks and springs. Choosing a camp location close to a water source is a good idea. It is strongly recommended to have a water filtration solution with you at all times in the backcountry. A filtration solution will allow you to carry less weight on the bike since you don't have to haul your water. It's also more flexible if you run into delays or have a mechanical issue along the way.

Why do I need paper maps when I have GPS tracks?
    Always bring a complete set of maps for the area you plan to ride. They have good information about roads, water sources, and are an indispensible resource when the GPS doesn't work, or is giving questionable advice. Unplanned events can occur and having paper/synthetic maps of the area can be a life saver. National Forest maps are available at www.naturenw.org and local Ranger Stations. WABDR Butler Motorcycle Maps are available at Touratech-USA and Butler Maps.

What GPS should I use?
    Any GPS unit capable of displaying 10 track logs with a minimum of 500 points each is suitable for use on the WABDR. Garmin models that work best for this application are: Zumo 665/660, GPSMap 60, 62, 76, 78 and 276. Other GPS manufacturers may have units that will work. Check the technical specs to determine suitability.

Where can I find the GPS tracks for the WABDR?
    The tracks for the route can be downloaded free of charge online at http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/WABDR

What time of year can I do the WABDR?
    The WABDR is best from July-October depending on snowpack and weather.

How difficult is the route?
    The WABDR route is designed to be ridden on adventure and dual-sport motorcycles, as well as driven in 4x4 vehicles. There are no single-track style trails on this route. Many of the roads are in remote areas and reach high elevation areas where road maintenance is minimal or non-existent. You can expect to cover sections of road with deep ruts, loose rocks, sand and other challenges. There are also sections that have steep grades combined with rough surfaces. You may also encounter sections that have trees or branches over the road. Some of the roads are overgrown with foliage, but are passable by both motorcycle and 4x4 vehicles. There are alternate "easier" routes around a few of the most challenging sections. Depending on time of year and weather, there may be a few small shallow water crossings, but none worth worrying about. Certainly nothing like the Malheur River on the OBDR (Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route)

Are there any gates on the route?
    Yes, there are several gates on the route. Please make sure to close all gates that you pass through.

How long does it take to run the WABDR?
    Most people average 150 miles a day on a backcountry motorcycle trip. Plan on doing this route in 4-6 days depending on how fast you want to travel and how early you want to roll out of camp.

What is the highest elevation on the WABDR?
    The highest elevations are reached in section 6 where Lone Frank Pass reaches nearly 7,000 feet. The route starts at nearly sea level and brings riders up to 5,000 to 6,000 multiple times on each section.

How do I get information on current road conditions?
    For the latest information on current roads conditions and closures, check our News section, as well as rider accounts on www.ADVrider.com.

Is there cell phone coverage on the route?
    Much of this route is remote and out of reach for cell phone towers. There will be long sections with no coverage. Your best bet to talk or text is in the towns or on top of mountains. You will be surprised where you get coverage and where you don't. A satellite communication device is a good idea in the backcountry.

Do I need a Discovery Pass?
    A discover pass is required on street legal vehicles when using state recreation lands. For more information visit www.discoverpass.wa.gov/faq

16. Jul 22, 2014 at 12:01 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.

I am tempted with buying one... well worth it you say? How much info does it provide for camp site options?

17. Jul 22, 2014 at 1:46 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    So there was one time the TW crew was out on a trail run and (unknowingly) went down a trail we shouldn't be and came upon a forest ranger. I was glad I had mine then. :D Otherwise I haven't been checked but for me it's also about supporting what it costs to maintain those public resources.

18. Jul 22, 2014 at 2:12 PM
    13Greysled

13Greysled Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    13' Taco
    Tint

^that. Its better to pay the $35 for a yearly pass, then get a $90 fine.

19. Jul 22, 2014 at 7:58 PM
    AWilson013

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX 470 Sport
    None, really.

Basically it's a paper version of the website... Has the whole route broken into sections with a description. Shows change in elevation along the way as well.

20. Jul 27, 2014 at 2:22 PM
    oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Spokane WA/Viola TN
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD
    Stock
    Mod day still on for the 2nd?

To Top