1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lost Corner Exploration

Discussion in 'North West' started by Smar969905, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Mar 8, 2014 at 1:09 PM
    Smar969905

Smar969905 [OP] ToyotaLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Deer Park, WA
    Vehicle:
    96 Dodge 12valve cummins- mine, 16 T4R - wife's, 11 Taco - totalled
    latest Info

Date: Aug 15-18
    Meeting Point: Tatoosh Food Market 9:00 AM
    13053 Highway 12, Packwood, WA 98361
    It has a gas station, and small store there for any last second purchases and fill ups

New plan is to hit the WABDR trails meeting in Packwood, and heading North, then turn off into Naches trails.

The WABDR is a known trail that is not especially difficult but going into Naches will take some better equipped trucks.

People going:

Benson X - Ben
    Mutilatedjak - David
    Chickenmunga - Mike
    penguins_cc - Will (plus work companion)
    Bennett707 - Cody (with female and canine companions, separate things of course)
    Taco salad sport (maybe)
    OutbackHack - Mike
    Costcopizza - (not Shane)
    Starting August 14 from Oregon
    AWilson013 - Alex (with Scottish terrier navigator)
    GSPRunner - Joe (plus Fritz the short haired German pointer)

things to bring

Ben - old propane stove, 2.5 gal propane bottle, folding table
    Mike chickenmunga - stove
    Will - table, propane fire pit, a few spare truck parts, spill cleanup kit
    Joe - stove, table
    Mike outbackhack - stove, tables, chairs, awnings

Does somebody have a percolator for morning coffee?

Money (probably good to have both cash and cards)
    Camping gear (I am sure there will be some discussion as to bigger things to bring that will be shared)
    In camp gear, you will need your own tent, sleeping bag, pillow, and extra blankets
    A couple sweatshirts and extra changes of clothes. Think about the possibility of getting wet or coated with mud
    Camp chair
    GPS if you have one with updated maps
    Bigger camp gear items can include a camp stove, propane, camp dishes, small barbecue
    Dish soap and bucket for washing dishes
    Food for everybody in your vehicle for 4 days
    Water for everybody in your vehicle for 4 days
    Bug spray
    Water proof outer layer (rain coat)
    For trucks without canopies or covers, a tarp to cover your gear in case of rain
    Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, toilet paper, hand sanitizer)
    Baby wipes or wet wipes
    Trash bags
    Allergy pills
    Towels
    Camera(s) as I have heard there are some great views out here
    Firewood (this may not actually be necessary as there may be burn bans in effect)
    Wouldn't hurt to bring roasting sticks for marshmallows and hotdogs
    Sunscreen (this is summertime going up the middle of the state where it gets hot)
    A couple pairs of shoes (maybe some hiking, some driving, or even walking around and stepping in puddles)
    If bringing any pets, let others know here before showing up. Not all dogs get along.
    Basic tool set
    12v pump to air up tires
    Basic Recovery gear
    1 extra can of gas
    Fire extinguisher
    Fluid spill kit
    Alcohol you plan to consume
    Firearms (no promises on a place to shoot them though)

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

Original stuff, now outdated
    It was brought up that a several people were interested in exploring the mostly undocumented trails in the "Lost Corner" that is NE Washington.

Obviously, people have that pesky waste of time called work that gives money but interferes with personal life. Some have significant others who want nothing to do with offroading or camping. For those of us able to get past those small inconveniences, we are planning a 3 day 2 night trip to explore, rank, photograph, and generally help map out these trails for others to also get to.

I am volunteering my place as a base point for people to meet and be able to park trucks. I have 10 acres in Deer Park, which is the north end of Spokane area. From my house, it is about 60 miles north, then 10-20 miles east with a few trails on the south and a whole lot more to the north going almost up to the Canadian border. I will be accepting people at my house starting Wed Aug 14. If you stay at my house, you must be okay with dogs, cats, and horses (horses from a distance at least). My dogs and cats live here and don't have another place to go. I have 1 spare bed, a couch, and a lot of floor space.

Edit: (adding more maybes)

Date: Aug 15-18

Drivers:
    Benson X - Ben
    Mutilatedjak - David
    Chickenmunga - Mike
    penguins_cc - Will
    GSPRunner - Joe (maybe, and no passengers)

Passengers:
    Smar969905 - Zach
    13greysled - Matt
    Bennett707 - Cody (maybe)
    Taco salad sport (maybe)
    RSDeuce

Trails:
    There is very limited info about them, as far as difficulty and ratings go, but you can find them on nwjeepn.com and 4x4trailinfo.com

TRAIL LIST
    http://goo.gl/maps/EbMAQ

A few of us went out and started looking at this area and found a lot of gravel roads with trees across them or trail closed signs. A chainsaw helped make the low enough to drive over or small enough pieces to move out of the way. Due to this, it has been decided not to pursue these trails any farther in a big group effort.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. Mar 8, 2014 at 1:27 PM
    13Greysled

13Greysled Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    13' Taco
    Tint
    I think a 3 day 2 night trip is about perfect for how long.

3. Mar 8, 2014 at 1:56 PM
    RSDeuce

RSDeuce Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 DC OR - Stock
    ImMrYo Rear-view Relocation,Weathertech Floor Mats
    I am new and mostly lurking the WA area threads, but would be really interested in something longer than a day trip.

Subscribed.

4. Mar 8, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    Smar969905

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Deer Park, WA
    Vehicle:
    Ben originally mentioned that he was thinking about a week, but after he took his truck swimming, said that a shorter trip would be in order due to funding. I would think there is enough for having more like a 4 day 3 night trip.

figure about a 5 hour drive to my place give or take depending on where you live, which also means 5 hour drive back. from my place, figure another hour or more north to get to where the untracked area is. if you make the last day a commute home day, that really leaves 3 days of playing and exploring. due to varying schedules, this could be arranged that some people arrive early, leave early, others arrive late and leave late, and i can find a way to arrive early leave late.

maybe for all you west enders (including any interested people from Oregon), drive over thursday night, take off to hit trails friday, head back to my place monday morning, get people back to their own trucks, and drive home. that gives a good portion of friday, and all day saturday and sunday to play. I could pull a trailer up behind my truck with extra camp gear, firewood, etc, and drop back friday afternoon and pick up late arrivals.

5. Mar 8, 2014 at 7:25 PM
    willie64

willie64 Willie64

Member:
    First Name:
    willie64
    BEND OR
    Vehicle:
    (slowly becoming less than) Stock '03 3.4L 4x4 TRD SR5
    144 watt led lights on front 36 watts x2 led on the back, cb, Kenwood ham, icon 3" lift, 285/75/16 Fierce Attitude tires, JoeZilla sliders, 4x innovation rear bumper, ARB front bumper. Snorkel. On the workbench: more stuff I can't afford.
    This would be fun to get back in to that area. I worked in Dogtown an lived in C'DA, I would often be in north Spokane Co for work (was in Deer Park at least 1x a week) and at the end of the day I would cut through the woods over to ID and home.

6. Mar 8, 2014 at 7:48 PM
    13Greysled

13Greysled Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    13' Taco
    Tint
    Zach, have you looked into the trails around your place? For difficulty/ course we can take.

7. Mar 8, 2014 at 8:11 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Hmm. What kind of trails do you have in mind? I've never been to your part of the state. Also Oregon Archery season starts Aug 30th, Washington is Sep 1. I would be more likely to join before those dates, and also after those dates the woods will be full of hunters.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  8. Mar 8, 2014 at 10:26 PM
    Benson X

Benson X My build thread sucks...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    If you don't draw blood, you're doing it wrong!
    Thanks for getting this thread started Zach! I was thinking the same thing, maybe a 4 day/3 night trip.

Here are the trails that Mike and I put together. There is very limited info. about them, as far as difficulty and ratings go, but you can find them on nwjeepn.com and 4x4trailinfo.com

http://goo.gl/maps/EbMAQ

I will be in Vegas from 7/9-7/14 and have a wedding on 8/30. I'm thinking any time late July, mid-Aug might be good for me.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  9. Mar 9, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    Smar969905

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Deer Park, WA
    Vehicle:
    Ben and Mike have been dealing with all the trail planning. I am aiming more for getting the initial groundwork set up for people to make it over here. I am going to look into a couple other areas around here for some trails. I have a line on a place over in 9 mile falls area, which is north end, a little west of center of spokane. so far, what i have seen online is that those tend to be a few rolling hills good for bikes, but maybe not such a good place for trucks, unless you are Zach from Oregon and taking a truck out jumping.

What does everybody feel about Aug 22-25? that is friday through monday.

10. Mar 9, 2014 at 10:04 AM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    I am so excited about this.... Now I just have to figure out what I have to buy my wife so I can go.......

11. Mar 9, 2014 at 10:41 PM
    Yetimetchkangmi

Yetimetchkangmi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Newcastle, WA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma 4x4 The Yeti
    ARB front locker, Custom high clearance rear bumper, Custom plate front bumper, mile marker winch PE8, safari snorkel, Deck Plate Mod Fox 2.5 rr DSC, Camburg UCA, squeaky Dakar leafs, 5125 10" and custom 7.5" shackles, thee finest PNW pinstripes, MT-R, Nissan crew cab roof rack??? wtf is that about??? Allpro skids, Rigid duallys President McKinley CB with PA Recaro SRD with Wedge Engineering Morimoto retrofits Champion Rad - Failed Tundra brakes
    I just told my wife about this and she LOL'ed and agreed that "something" must be purchased...

12. Mar 10, 2014 at 12:56 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    "Here, I know you like chocolate. I got you this snickers bar. I love you a lot so I got the king size."

13. Mar 10, 2014 at 1:01 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    FYI Zach, I don't think we needed extra trails unless we are having a second driving group.

Before we generate too much interest we might want to discuss who our drivers are and how many.

I think I like those dates but have to check calendar tomorrow

14. Mar 10, 2014 at 11:39 AM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    Put me at like 90%, pending the gift for my wife heh heh. At least I think my truck is capable of keeping up with the pack heh heh

15. Mar 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    CASTRATE

CASTRATE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    SW of Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 SR5 6spd
    This thread makes me question my decision for staying in Oklahoma. Damn first world problems!

16. Mar 10, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    Smar969905

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Deer Park, WA
    Vehicle:
    Plane ticket to Vegas...one way.

Also one way ticket to Vegas.

LOL! My wife would get upset because it is only one, and not a whole bag.

My thought on other trails is to somewhat know them and have them as a backup in case we have issues on the exploration or go through it too fast.

I would like to say that drivers should have double cabs and very capable trucks, meaning well built up. Long bed vs short doesn't really matter. This will help to provide more space for other riding along. I was considering bringing my truck for the sole purpose of pulling my trailer behind it, then parking it at some sort of camp. That can allow some things to be locked into my truck, as well as quite a bit of storage for any other things to bring along, like tents and camp gear.

Get a plane ticket to airport code GEG, which is Spokane. You can stay at my place as long as the dogs and cats approve.

17. Mar 10, 2014 at 8:32 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    That makes sense about the backup routes. We were able to come up with a set of trails that did a loop, but we of course have little info on their condition. None of them looked so long that we would be camping in the middle of the trail to try completing it, but perhaps camping somewhere convenient along the way. If there's a few of us with canopies or covers, we can make those vehicles be gear mules.

18. Mar 10, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    Smar969905

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Deer Park, WA
    Vehicle:
    I figured it would be camping in an open area, not a trail. In the little I talked to Ben about this, my place is essentially a parking lot, and 4-5 trucks take off with people for the exploration for the weekend then back to my place at the end.

Mike, do you want me to try and scout out any trails or leave this as a complete surprise?

19. Mar 11, 2014 at 2:30 PM
    GSPRunner

GSPRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    17 Mag Grey DCSB OR
    I don't have to buy my girl shit, so let me know the exact dates and I'll let you know if we're in or not

20. Mar 11, 2014 at 10:55 PM
    RSDeuce

RSDeuce Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 DC OR - Stock
    ImMrYo Rear-view Relocation,Weathertech Floor Mats
    It all sounds good from here.

I am rocking a stock 14 DC Off-Road. I am willing to wheel it, but it depends on your assessment of the trails in that area on whether or not I am a gear rig or a trail rig. I don't see any major mods in my future (at least this year.) Wheels and better tires are a maybe at best.

I am not from this area, so I really don't know what the trails are like. My understand is that I have a lot of capability stock, but clearance is of course the limiting factor.

I do own a Jeep, but it is still in Colorado and probably won't be in Washington this year either.

To Top